Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never had email on my phone, which is highly unusual given my profession and where i work. my boss does the 'i wish you wouldn't tell me that' routine any time i've mentioned it to him, but as i point out, since no-one has actually noticed that i don't respond to mails out of hours, it proves i don't need it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First Christmas in 4/5 years I'm not working, as I left the academic world for public world. Used to do student support from home.

I'll check email in case I've to let people know they don't have to come in Monday week though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i've never had email on my phone...
    Does it not sync emails automatically with your work PC? (presuming it's a work phone).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Only if I configure it to. I'm handed a blank phone and enrol it myself. Or not. That said, I have a level of autonomy maybe other employees don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Offline till new year myself, but at one point my firewall locked my laptop out of connection so i had no internet (which in my job means 90% of my work can't be done), anyway have our messaging and file app on my phone so attending meetings etc, logging tickets and so.

3 days in still no fix (i had day access in between), so i give in and download emails on my phone (not a work one) low and behold someones emailed me to advise how to fix my firewall issue to resolve :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

My emails on the phone sync with my desk computer, so most weekend and this hol period i tend to open all the non important ones and delete any junk. It means its easier to deal with just the important ones on my return. It doesn't take long either.

We restrict the hell out of access hours on instruction from management since many moved to working from home. They are very pro work life balance and when lock down happened in march one of the first things my boss asked me for was a report on access times for those new to remote access. There are security reasons too but the main driver was people logging in at weekends and after 8pm which would have been the latest they would have been on site.

The place I work for is small only 200 or so there. I'm only ever expected to check my work phone out of hours every 3rd week when I'm on call and paid to do so.

My experience in my last job with a multinational was a completely different story.

Only if I configure it to. I'm handed a blank phone and enrol it myself. Or not. That said, I have a level of autonomy maybe other employees don't have.
    Ah right. I'm handed a phone that has been set up by some IT nerd and, even as a senior manager, I'm not permitted to make any changes to it. Even the camera is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Work emails gone off phone 10 years.

Have had a few jobs and all had a work phone.
    All came with outlook set up.

All got email killed pretty quickly.

In construction a lot of fellas seem to think that sending an email at 6 in the evening is enough to sort something for 8 am. Or sending it on a Sunday afternoon.

There's also those who email a building site expecting an instance response.

Long taken the stance that if it's time sensitive enough they'll ring me, or text/whatsapp.

Otherwise I set an hour or more of my day purely for emails and get back to everyone.

The place I work for is small only 200 or so there.
    Problem with an organisation like that is that it doesn't take long for people to learn who you are. Place I work for is roughly 1000 times the size so the anonymity is a blessing.

• Advertisement

Problem with an organisation like that is that it doesn't take long for people to learn who you are. Place I work for is roughly 1000 times the size so the anonymity is a blessing.

They would have to pass THE boss to get to us, so even if my bike is in the rack and they know i'm on site which is super rare these days they don't get far. That has translated nicely to the calls I get during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the first thing the American company that bought us did was get rid of all work phones you now have to buy your own and they will pay a percentage back through receipts. now they expect you to use your personal unsecured phone for passwords authenticaters etc.
    so I dont have a work phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Anyone have a link for 105/Ultegra groupset for a store that is delivering to Ireland? Can't seem to find anything in stock anywhere.

Any insider knowledge as to what is happening with Shimano product stock levels?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for 105/Ultegra groupset for a store that is delivering to Ireland? Can't seem to find anything in stock anywhere.

Any insider knowledge as to what is happening with Shimano product stock levels?

Huge demands on new bikes since earlier in the year and Shimano aren't upping their production capabilities, it will be a few months before it returns to normal. Are you just upgrading your current set up? If so, bit by bit through the German websites might be the only way to go.

https://www.merlincycles.com/groupsets-1-93716/

caliper brake groupsets available

not sure on how long it would take to get here you could email them tommorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Jaysus, 170mm crankset in short supply ^

Jaysus, 170mm crankset in short supply ^

cant please some people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭cletus

Not sure where this belongs, but it looks like an interesting route, especially if paired with a spin down to Roslare

https://www.laseineavelo.fr/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

cletus wrote: »
    Not sure where this belongs, but it looks like an interesting route, especially if paired with a spin down to Roslare

https://www.laseineavelo.fr/

Eurovelo6 is similar but along the Loire. Signposted etc.

well, looks like we're heading back into a 5km limit by the sound of it.

• Advertisement

The Bora lads encountered snow in Monaco

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJbbTgPKtlt/

Snow in Dublin too. But only very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Anywhere open today around south Dublin selling gatorskins? Or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PhillySteak9

Halfords usually have them. You can check stock & reserve online.

Halfords usually have them. You can check stock & reserve online.

Hollingsworth have them too. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Anywhere open today around south Dublin selling gatorskins? Or something similar.

Hopefully for dry spins only, they are lethal in the wet.

secman wrote: »
    Utility cycling. I'm well used to them.

i am seeing fresh complaints about the 5km lockdown on various social media again, but by god, at least we're not at this point.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1344611414749667328

secman wrote: »
    The Gator Hardshells are very skittish in the wet but the standard ones run at 80psi are much better. I used to run them at 120 until I learned a few hard lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive been using them for commute and leisure for 5 years now and never had a sniff of trouble from them, all over Wicklow in the wet and up to the snowline for a look when it gets cold plenty of times, not a bother. I did slip and fall on black ice last year but there were 3 ambulances called on our road that day for the same so it was a bit of freak conditions.

Advertisement