Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Gator Hardshells are very skittish in the wet but the standard ones run at 80psi are much better. I used to run them at 120 until I learned a few hard lessons.

Yeah, I use 6 bar, because it's easy to remember, near the zenith of the pump's pressure dial. That's a bit under 90 psi. No problems ever.

Happy New Year, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I've been using Gator hardshell for around 7 years, at 100/110 psi on my 700x23 Canyon, then at 90 psi on my 700x28 cube.
    but in the last 6 months or so (since I've read bad reviews on here) I've been absolutely planking myself in the damp conditions and while cornering, even though I've had no problems with them.

The only issue I ever had was recently I overcooked a corner and skidded past a corner, had I been actually been in the process of turning, I'd probably have fallen.

Someone around this parish recommended a bargain on Vittoria Rubino pro control tyres - would these be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Happy New Year folks, for those of you that live within 5k of me I might see you on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Someone around this parish recommended a bargain on Vittoria Rubino pro control tyres - would these be any better?

I have certainly recommended the regular Rubino Pro's in the past and, notwithstanding a fall on ice this morning, I have always been happy with their grip. As far as I remember, the latest G2 version haven't been as well reviewed as the previous version that is on special offer from Wiggle at the moment. Oddly enough, Vittoria's own website shows the Control as having similar grip to the regular Pro, a bit more puncture protection but less suppleness and speed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can't even buy brooks saddles in england for now, because of brexit.

https://twitter.com/MCRCycleSam/status/1345427951115001857

• Advertisement

Apparently it's not quite as apocalyptic as that, but it's not good:
    https://twitter.com/ceridipple/status/1345451822895534086

By coincidence, I bought a Brooks saddle this week, but since it was before 1st Jan, it was a bricks-and-mortar store and we're not in the UK, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cleaning related question...after cleaning/degreasing your chain, do you use a water dispensing spray (e.g. WD-40, GT85, equivalent Muc-Off product) and then follow up with lube?

I always just dried the chain as best I could using a microfiber towel, then applied a lube a few hours later. I'm wondering now should I use a water dispensing spray before lubing? But would that affect the performance of the lube though if the water dispensing spray is acting as a layer in between the chain and the lube?

I'm overthinking this I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I wouldnt normally do the water displacement stuff, but I have been known to nick the hairdryer :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I run the chain through a cloth after washing then lash the lube straight on :eek:

ETA WD40 leaves black stuff behind on a chain so I don't use it. Maybe I should use something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i use degreaser, i usually rinse the chain and leave it to dry overnight.
    though my standard deep clean is to steep the chain in white spirits, wipe down, let dry, and then use muc off wet as an initial lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What's the general recommended cleaning for after a ride or wet/dirty ride?
    I've been cleaning frame & moving parts with damp cloth & squirt of oil every now and again to brakes etc but have neglected chain completely. Have been meaning to research how to properly clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. my standard deep clean is to steep the chain in white spirits..
    White spirits will get it really clean but it would be very harsh on the chain as it completely dries it out.
    dinneenp wrote: »
    ... but have neglected chain completely. Have been meaning to research how to properly clean.
    I take it off and put it in a plastic 500ml milk carton, quarter fill with kerosene, attach lid and shake vigorously several times while cleaning the rest of the bike. Dry with a cloth, refit and lubricate on one side - every second link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd never fully degrease a chain. Like soak or anything.
    Squirt of GT85 after most rides and rub of a cloth.

Every 3 or 4 rides clean all sprockets with degreaser. Run the chain through degreaser in a chain bath.

In decent weather I don't bother with degreaser. Just GT85. Take off back wheel. Spray liberally. Clean back sprockets with rag in between. Do all moving parts inc chainrings and rear derailleur with rag and spray. More 85 on the chain and run through rag in hand.

Always lube and clean off lube after

I'd never fully degrease a chain. Like soak or anything.
    Squirt of GT85 after most rides and rub of a cloth.

Every 3 or 4 rides clean all sprockets with degreaser. Run the chain through degreaser in a chain bath.

In decent weather I don't bother with degreaser. Just GT85. Take off back wheel. Spray liberally. Clean back sprockets with rag in between. Do all moving parts inc chainrings and rear derailleur with rag and spray. More 85 on the chain and run through rag in hand.

Always lube and clean off lube after
    I would have thought that GT85 would be a bit light for a long wet ride?

(Love the smell of it!)

I would have thought that GT85 would be a bit light for a long wet ride?

(Love the smell of it!)

Usually give the bike a wash do if chain is mucky give it lash of the hose.
    Let dry
    Then get my GT high

Francis Cade has a little video with similar

https://youtu.be/YS43X0LV-Lo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I clean with degreaser in a chain cleaner, then I use water to rinse off the degreaser and dry with a cloth. I leave it to dry for as long as possible before lubing but it'll be lubed the same day but usually not ridden until the next day.

Cleaning related question...after cleaning/degreasing your chain, do you use a water dispensing spray (e.g. WD-40, GT85, equivalent Muc-Off product) and then follow up with lube?

BTW I'd not use wd40
    WD will dry it out as well as cleaning.
    GT has lubricating properties so when you clean the chain it's keeping lubricant in the joints.

White spirits will get it really clean but it would be very harsh on the chain as it completely dries it out.
    yep, which is why i use the wet lube because it's quite gummy and (possibly!) a good one to get in between the rollers first.

i've only ever seen noticed GT85 in aldi (or lidl?); i'd assumed it was specific to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

i've only ever seen noticed GT85 in aldi (or lidl?); i'd assumed it was specific to them?

It's in Halfords anyway

Usually stocked by motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Lot's of good advice on cleaning bikes here:
    https://youtu.be/B2sKhSDrugE

I just don't seem to have time to clean anything properly anymore. I had to switch to dragging the chain through a baby wipe a few times in situ, dragging it through paper towel a few times and then oiling it.

I have to confess, it doesn't seem to wear any more quickly or perform any worse.

I am planning to switch to using strips of old clothes dipped in something rather than baby wipes though. I just haven't thought it through yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lego now including (blocked) cycle lane and cargo bike...

https://twitter.com/anluandunne/status/1346058213679124481?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

That's some croissant she's holding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

€70 for that? Was Lego always that stupidly expensive?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I also don't get the whole set thing with Lego. I absolutely loved Lego as a kid, boxes of bricks you could name anything out of. The whole kit thing I found rather disappointing cos once you make the thing that's it, it's just one thing. The best thing about them was that they went into the general Lego boxes and their reaction bits got used to make cool things that didn't exist yet.
    I have a friend that gets a kick out of making big superhero/ star wars trek enterprise things so to each their own I suppose.
    I loved Lego for the endless possibilities it contained, a big red box of potential with no rules. And the colour. Multi coloured anything is a joy :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ah I got a different lego set every christmas for about 10 years. Sure enough build the first thing, but then just let the imagination run wild and do different things, mix and match. Fairly sure I had a tropical, martian, pirate-spaceman inhabited Alamo set up at one point.

I've asked my wife a few years now to get me lego as a stocking filler. She has not yet, but when she was doing a jigsaw the other day she realised why I'd want some

Advertisement