Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I went to the bottom of the full wall yesterday...gave up on the first ramp.

Was truly grateful not to have a nicer bike which would have made me feel like even more of a fraud...
    Were you trying to do it on the fixie? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Found this film from 1945 on the British Council Film website "How a bicycle is made".
    https://vimeo.com/39401575
    interesting to note they use the phrase 'the front fork' in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Were you trying to do it on the fixie? :eek:

I don't own a fixie.

And no it wasn't on my Singlespeed it was on a reasonably light (10kg-ish) bike with a 34x28 lowest gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

The Wall, Cunard and Kilmashogue... all were created to break you mentally and physically.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ordered a pair of socks, that are almost club colours and also have a streak of yellow in them which I like. Normally my socks are Penneys finest. Wrong colour came out. I take a photo and write in. They apologise, put another pair in the post and tell me to keep the first pair as an apology. Second pair arrive and the same mistake. I write in again, send them the pic. Say not to worry, I can post them back but if they don't have the yellow ones, I'd leave it. They apologise again, warehouse confirm they have the wrong code on the socks and have posted the wrong ones. They refund me the money and let me have the socks, which are still nice.

That was two months ago. I get a stock notification to say the ones I want are actually back in stock. I now have two free pairs, so I figure I may as well order two.

What do I get, only the wrong colours again. I have mailed them again. Waiting to hear what happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ordered a pair of socks, that are almost club colours and also have a streak of yellow in them which I like. Normally my socks are Penneys finest. Wrong colour came out. I take a photo and write in. They apologise, put another pair in the post and tell me to keep the first pair as an apology. Second pair arrive and the same mistake. I write in again, send them the pic. Say not to worry, I can post them back but if they don't have the yellow ones, I'd leave it. They apologise again, warehouse confirm they have the wrong code on the socks and have posted the wrong ones. They refund me the money and let me have the socks, which are still nice.

That was two months ago. I get a stock notification to say the ones I want are actually back in stock. I now have two free pairs, so I figure I may as well order two.

What do I get, only the wrong colours again. I have mailed them again. Waiting to hear what happens next.
    Where can we buy these free socks? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall when you opened that package

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Doesn't sound good as Gardai have said Ushers Quay is closed for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

py wrote: »
    The Wall, Cunard and Kilmashogue... all were created to break you mentally and physically.

But I can handle Cunard. Have only done the first half of Kilmashogue but that was on a 34x32 and I was fewked.

Did once nearly make it to the Kilmashogue Carpark on the legendary Wolfgang Beaterson.

The Wall is just another league. Revealing me for the fat fraud I am

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spotted an old dude this evening who'd clearly gone out for a spin on his bike, but stopped for a sit down and a puff of the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

spotted an old dude this evening who'd clearly gone out for a spin on his bike, but stopped for a sit down and a puff of the pipe.

Last year, on the Orwell Randonnee, I was cycling up towards Sally Gap, I got a peculiar smell, there were two cyclists sitting on a grass bank, having a spliff.

I've never seen familiar spelt with a P :pac:

It took a minute.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It took a minute.

It does dull the mind a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Saw an old guy cycling puffing away on a pipe in his mouth yesterday. He looked reasonably modern otherwise.

I didn't want to make any allegations of doping,
    even against myself.

there's just been a land rover/range rover ad on the radio - the usual (slightly knowing this time) overblown bollox about the adventures on little trod roads, which then pivoted to 'ah no, it's just great for the school run'.

because that's what great for the school run - cars so big that kids walking past them cannot even see over the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, a totally inappropriate car for driving where there are large numbers of children:
    https://www.treehugger.com/cars/investigative-reporters-conclude-americas-love-suvs-killing-pedestrians.html

Can I get opinions on my bar tape? I'm unsure :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Rule 8.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/comment-page-8/#8

Wrong, I'm afraid.

Notwithstanding Rule #8, My preferences, in order, would be
    Red.
    White,
    Black.

Naturally only chose white, if you have somebody to keep the tape clean.

Edit.
    On looking again at your bike, I can't imagine any scenario, in which that tape would be acceptable.
    Sorry.
    Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, or something.

Edit:
    Nice bike.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Where can we buy these free socks? :P

Wiggle, this time they did not even try and ship the right ones out, they have just refunded me the money. I wouldn't risk it as I presume they have fixed it now. Now have four pairs of Twin Six socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

My observations:

1. Sorry, no on the bar tape (funky, but not on that bike)

2. Colour preferences would be white, red or plain black (in that order)

3. Bike is sweet

4. Holy sh1t, that's one clean office

5. Is €82,750.00 your annual bike budget?

:D

Definitely white and / or maybe a strip of red at the bar ends and either side of the stem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just plain black, or red. White gets filthy, though I had some really good leather one that just wiped clean nice and easily on my tourer for ages.

It makes no difference, but it somewhat bothers me to see the front skewer arm on the right side.

Care to clean my office and bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Bar tape MUST match the saddle. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

My observations:

1. Sorry, no on the bar tape (funky, but not on that bike)

2. Colour preferences would be white, red or plain black (in that order)

3. Bike is sweet

4. Holy sh1t, that's one clean office

5. Is €82,750.00 your annual bike budget?

:D

And how ridiculously clean is that desk? No work takes place here.

That's just a spare couple of desks we flung into an empty space, the folk in our sister companies us them as hot desks. I was a little drunk when I chose the bar tape but I definitely can't do red or white.
    Decisions decisions!

• Advertisement

had to stop this evening to herd two escaped calves off the road. not very difficult, they were less than 50m from where they escaped from.

Advertisement