Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've recently been watching a few car dashcam videos on youtube (you know the way the youtube algorithm works; 'oh you've watched one video on the topic? here are nine more!) but it's kinda funny seeing some of the red light running, i'm kinda just programmed at this stage to see that as BAU, not something worthy of youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

quick question - can i wear wireless headphones (chunky types) whilst cycling on a public road ??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no law against it, if that's what you mean.
    though, and i'm just spitballing here, if you were ever involved in an incident, it is quite possible you'd be accused of contributory negligence, or cycling without due care and attention, etc., if you were wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

no law against it, if that's what you mean.
    though, and i'm just spitballing here, if you were ever involved in an incident, it is quite possible you'd be accused of contributory negligence, or cycling without due care and attention, etc., if you were wearing them.

A guard told me to take out earphones a while back, he said I could be done for cycling without due care and attention. Serves me right for stopping at the red.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A guard told me to take out earphones a while back, he said I could be done for cycling without due care and attention. Serves me right for stopping at the red.

What?!!!! Is there gonna be a ban on car radios now? Are deaf people not allowed to cycle? Sake
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

they quite simply must have come out of nowhere.

Accidents just happen, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I use the aftershokz bone conduction headphones. So i can still hear the outside world.

eeeee wrote: »
    What?!!!! Is there gonna be a ban on car radios now? Are deaf people not allowed to cycle? Sake

I know, I like listening to podcasts as I cycle. I can hear more with headphones in than I can riding my motorbike between helmet and exhaust noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I use the aftershokz bone conduction headphones. So i can still hear the outside world.

emmm interesting never seen them before...so the headphone lies on the ear bone....any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

fryup wrote: »
    emmm interesting never seen them before...so the headphone lies on the ear bone....any good?

Yeah. I’m happy enough with them. Once you get them in the correct position you can hear the music pretty clearly. But I still hear cars/traffic approaching.

Hard to hear people talking to you. But that’s a pretty rare occurrence. And I’m usually stopped if that happens so I’ll just pause whatever I’m listening to.

eeeee wrote: »
    my comment was in relation to a case where (IIRC) a cyclist who was knocked off their bike by a motorist (who was 100% in the wrong) had their compensation for head injuries reduced because the judge ruled that by not wearing a helmet, they had contributed to their own level of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

my comment was in relation to a case where (IIRC) a cyclist who was knocked off their bike by a motorist (who was 100% in the wrong) had their compensation for head injuries reduced because the judge ruled that by not wearing a helmet, they had contributed to their own level of injuries.

This one maybe?

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2017/05/whats-your-damages.html

i suspect that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

That case settled and was only ruled by the judge.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/cyclist-knocked-down-by-van-settles-high-court-action-for-3m-1.3085354

I doubt Plaintiff's lawyers would have conceded anything unless the Defendants had some expert report to say a helmet might have limited extent of injuries and weren't happy their could fully refute it.

All expert reports in High Court matters are exchanged beforehand

That case settled and was only ruled by the judge.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/cyclist-knocked-down-by-van-settles-high-court-action-for-3m-1.3085354

I doubt Plaintiff's lawyers would have conceded anything unless the Defendants had some expert report to say a helmet might have limited extent of injuries and weren't happy their could fully refute it.

All expert reports in High Court matters are exchanged beforehand

I doubt they're all that au fait with the tedious details of the debate and just went with the conventional wisdom that they're a sensible precaution. Most people aren't even aware that there's a pretty factious debate about how much protection they offer you when being catapulted into the air by a speeding large vehicle.

I mean, you can produce peer-reviewed studies that say in the abstract they prevent 88% of head injuries and another one that says that they have no discernible effect, but the former one is much more famous than any like the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fryup wrote: »
    Yeah. I’m happy enough with them. Once you get them in the correct position you can hear the music pretty clearly. But I still hear cars/traffic approaching.

Hard to hear people talking to you. But that’s a pretty rare occurrence. And I’m usually stopped if that happens so I’ll just pause whatever I’m listening to.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=115738008&postcount=1786

Complete idiot moment, descending a slight gradient on one of the trails in the Phoenix Park tonight, avoiding a big hole I needed to slow, this genius decided to use the front brake and turn at the same time, face full of mud

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

nice drop of rain out there to clean the manky greasy roads....should have left my bike out too....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ED E wrote: »

+1 on the Aftershokz.

I bought a pair of Aftershokz Aeropex - delivered a few days after Christmas. I love them. I 've used them on every spin since and I've also taken to using them for work calls. Bass frequencies aren't perfect out on the road (small price to pay to have the advantage of open ear) but I find the sound quality very acceptable and I'm fussy with audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Saw a group of about a dozen young lads cycling through Phibsborough a few weeks ago on what looked like small wheel electric bikes. Eventually got around to checking out the bikes and they seem to be Fiidos https://fiido.com/products/fiido-d2s

Unless they are available to rent, Santa must have been very generous as they retail at over €500. Not sure if they were the same guys that regularly displayed their wheelie skills on 29ers during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Saw a group of about a dozen young lads cycling through Phibsborough a few weeks ago on what looked like small wheel electric bikes. Eventually got around to checking out the bikes and they seem to be Fiidos https://fiido.com/products/fiido-d2s

Unless they are available to rent, Santa must have been very generous as they retail at over €500. Not sure if they were the same guys that regularly displayed their wheelie skills on 29ers during the Summer.

Ah. I see young fellas about my place in these.
    Was wondering WTF they were on.

As long as they're 9ut on bikes I'd be all for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mercian, where have you been hiding all year? They've been all over Glasnevin for at least 12 months now.

Saw one lad doing an impressive wheelie on one, but he was also wrecking his rather expensive (and hideously ugly) "yeezy" runners at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    Mercian, where have you been hiding all year? They've been all over Glasnevin for at least 12 months now.

Saw one lad doing an impressive wheelie on one, but he was also wrecking his rather expensive (and hideously ugly) "yeezy" runners at the same time.

Set myself up for that alright! I suppose I could claim I was cocooning or that Glasnevin South is more salubrious than the Northern Territory but somehow I don't think you would be convinced by either.

I was afraid it would put an end to the wheelie displays so it's good to know at least one is rising to the challenge ;) Had to look up "yeezy" but you probably expected that.:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I saw you in Tolka Valley park yesterday (there were nods by directions), that's probably the point at where North/South collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There is a local in my complex with a folding electric bike. Very strong suspicions that he is a drug runner. Always does multiple short runs per day on it.

this is being posted for the record. not because i think you should watch it. sam bennett is as wooden as steven roche selling cheap cheese.

https://twitter.com/JosephMcgucken/status/1351623895342837764?s=08

this is being posted for the record. not because i think you should watch it. sam bennett is as wooden as steven roche selling cheap cheese.

https://twitter.com/JosephMcgucken/status/1351623895342837764?s=08

I like that guy, Joe something I think his name is, he's done a few bits including 'Git, not IT'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yikes so much cringe, for both of them :o

Advertisement