Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

But the protected cycle lane only offers protection if you're taking the left. If you're taking any other exit off the roundabout you're at a disadvantage now.

If going straight ahead, you can use the lane to take the first exit, cross at the zebra crossing, then take the 'next' first exit, resulting in a straightahead. You wouldn't have to yield to the motor traffic with the protection.

It's a pain if you're used to just going straight through, but I think it's a step up for less confident users (assuming drivers yield coming off the roundabout).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Exactly. That is a retrograde change if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

buffalo wrote: »
    If going straight ahead, you can use the lane to take the first exit, cross at the zebra crossing, then take the 'next' first exit, resulting in a straightahead. You wouldn't have to yield to the motor traffic with the protection.

It's a pain if you're used to just going straight through, but I think it's a step up for less confident users (assuming drivers yield coming off the roundabout).

From cycling it pretty much daily, and driving it a few times a week, drivers have no option but to come to a complete stop. The ramps are fairly high. Higher than most. The only issue I’ve seen with it is the ramps are also functioning as a zebra crossing and some motorists end up with the back of their car still up on the ramp because they haven’t read the road properly and assumed they’d fit past the ramp and have space before the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Feck it. Its Friday.

Like everybody this lockdown is really starting to grind on me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ wow - that's pricey - hopefully it's nice
    https://www.craftbeersdelivered.com/To-Ol-Glogglich

• Advertisement

^^^ wow - that's pricey - hopefully it's nice
    https://www.craftbeersdelivered.com/To-Ol-Glogglich

It's really nice, one is enough though.

I'm trying to find a particular mapping tool that I saw online before. It's not the Arrogance of Space*, but I saw it in a similar context where people were encouraged to draw polygons on an interactive Google map of their town to calculate how much space was used for car parking. Anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

*https://cyklokoalicia.sk/arrogance/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Possibly it’s a late reaction to that poor woman crushed under a hgv nearly 4years ago there. Just at the roundabout at the end of that video at Templeville road / Whitehall road, but on the other side of the road. I see the inquest jury made recommendations re provision of cycle lanes.
    There was a really high concrete kerb and the path jutted out a bit. I was always on high alert there anyways. It was part of my cycle to school in secondary and then to work for years. I live around the corner and had collected my kids from school just before it happened.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/3077457/cyclist-died-collision-dublin-roundabout-inquest/amp/
    Considering you're a local (as I am) - if you have the inclination, maybe submit your opinion to SDCC. They have a survey link although I found it difficult to locate so apologies for not providing the link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a hyundai pulled up on the footpath right outside our house, and a chap - clearly a plainclothes garda - got out and stopped a cyclist passing on the footpath. i initially assumed the cyclist had run the red a couple of hundred metres further back, or (less likely) he was being stopped for being on the footpath. but the garda patted him down, and made him flip the bike upside down, presumably to check the serial number. anyway, they drove off seemingly without doing anything further except taking details.

• Advertisement

So, got told off this evening having arrived home with the shopping and I bought 2 bottles of Coke Zero which was on special and we've always got a 2lt bottle but since before Christmas we've been getting Pepsi Max which was on offer for ages.

Herself contended that Pepsi Max is nicer, and you know what as I sit here sipping a glass of Coke Zero she's actually got a point, seems we've both got used to Pepsi Max now.

I tired the Pepsi Max for the first time recently and I was impressed. I stocked up on a tray of 24 cans that are on offer in SuperValu for less than €10 at the moment. Marginally more expensive than 2 litre bottles but I find that after a day or two the bottles go somewhat flat.

Yeah I haven't had Max in donkeys years so I guess I'd forgotten what it tasted like, and I remember being at the check out last christmas and two 'auld lads who were pals who'd bumped into each other there discussing coke and pepsi with one lad saying he favoured pepsi as there was "a bit more bite to it" and I recall laughing to myself thinking come on lads this isn't fine wine here.

Have to say I'm with that fella on the "bite" :D

Supping a Galway Bay IPA myself.

However for drinks of the softer variety I'm all about the Coke Zero.

Yeah I was too Jimmy but when was the last time you had a Pepsi Max?

EDIT: I couldn't drink regular coke these days at all, find it far too sweet tasting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pepsi Max or Diet Coke for me. Regular Coke tastes awful to me, I imagine Coke Zero is much the same.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pepsi Max or Diet Coke for me. Regular Coke tastes awful to me, I imagine Coke Zero is much the same.

I'd rather drink urine than diet coke

I feel the same about regular coke, I just don't get it

i can't fathom it. it tastes horrendous to me. like someone drew the concept of sweetness to an alien and asked them to make a fizzy drink out of it. regular coke is sweet, but it's an honest, wholesome sort of sweet.

I picked up my brothers tea there at Christmas by accident, I'm a no sugar in tea and a 1/4 spoon if that in coffee guy and nearly wretched as I ran across the kitchen to the sink to spit it out. 3 f'n sugars in his tea and none in coffee :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

crosstownk wrote: »
    Considering you're a local (as I am) - if you have the inclination, maybe submit your opinion to SDCC. They have a survey link although I found it difficult to locate so apologies for not providing the link.

Sorry only getting back to this now. Yeah their survey closed on 04/01/21. They do still have signs up around the roundabout and apparently are doing leaflet/questionnaire drops to residents over the next 6 months during the trial. I certainly haven’t gotten any although I’m the far end of Templeville Road. I see there’s an email at the bottom of the leaflet I found online

https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/wellington-lane-temporary-measures-and-trial-0

Edit it’s in the first link on that page

RobbieMD wrote: »
    .... apparently are doing leaflet/questionnaire drops to residents over the next 6 months during the trial. I certainly haven’t gotten any although I’m the far end of Templeville Road..... [/url]

I'm up by St. Mary's RFC and I got a leaflet late last year outlining the proposed changes so presumably I'll get the questionnaire when it's issued. I can PM you a copy if you like.
    buffalo wrote: »

That's the one I responded to but I think it's more concerned with the construction phase so maybe my submission will fall on deaf ears.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Coke zero is okay. Doesn't make you your teeth feel like absolute Shi!te.

No sugar in coffee either though unless it's bad coffee or I'm doing a huge cycle.

I'm even going off milk in coffees now too.

I watched The Racer movie this evening. I enjoyed it. It's not a riveting watch but if you're into cycling it'll keep your attention. Mrs. crosstownk watched it also but she wasn't really all that impressed.

I rented it from the Sky Store for less than a fiver.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I suppose, the way I look at it is that Coke and Diet Coke are not actually Regular and Diet versions of the same drink, they are simply completely different drinks with almost no similarities. I like Diet Coke, I don't like Coke. It's not like 7up or Club Orange where there are differences but they are quite close to being the same drink.
    No sugar in coffee either though unless it's bad coffee or I'm doing a huge cycle.
    Can't stand sugar in coffee, used to take tea in my sweetener when I was a kid but the taste of sugar or sweetener in tea or coffee now make me gag. Which is weird, because I have a sweet tooth.
    Happily take coffee black or white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Coke is nicer than Pepsi in Ireland but in the US, Pepsi is nicer than Coke imo

used to be almost addicted to coke, could have drank a 2ltr bottle in an evening, so dont buy it any more, but usually have a slab of 7up Free for when i need a fizzy fix. never liked Coke Zero. herself does, so we would have cans of that in the house, and whenever i crave some coke, i wouldnt even be bothered with the Zero.

i think i recall some tv program showing that zero sugar fizzy drinks can cause you to put on weight; because your body gets the sweetness hit, expects a rush of blood sugar which doesn't arrive, and this causes you to feel hungrier and eat more, usually greater than the calorie count in a can.

this was not a scientific test, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I suppose, the way I look at it is that Coke and Diet Coke are not actually Regular and Diet versions of the same drink, they are simply completely different drinks with almost no similarities. I like Diet Coke, I don't like Coke. It's not like 7up or Club Orange

Coke Zero is supposed to taste like regular Coke. As you say Diet Coke is a different drink entirely (I think it's vile but each to their own...)

regular Coke is pretty much the only mainstream soft drink left that doesn't have sweeteners in it; all the others have been spoiled by the sugar tax.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

I went from always drinking milky sweet coffees and even coffees filled with caramel to black, no sugar. Its the only way to have it imo.

Advertisement