Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Why do you have your bottle on the seattube not the down tube?

Sorry but that bartape isn't working.
    I'd vote white, red or black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

nee wrote: »
    Why do you have your bottle on the seattube not the down tube?

Sorry but that bartape isn't working.
    I'd vote white, red or black.

I've to buy a nice bottle cage, that particular cage doesn't sit flush on the downtube, I had it in the downtube and it came loose.
    Certainly feeling the hate for the tape :(

had to stop this evening to herd two escaped calves off the road. not very difficult, they were less than 50m from where they escaped from.

Were they delicious?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

had to stop this evening to herd two escaped calves off the road. not very difficult, they were less than 50m from where they escaped from.

I let my calves out on the road all the time, good luck rounding those beasts up :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Were they delicious?
    i've only licked Cramcycle's calves so far as a taster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and a segue from that, GCN are conducting an anonymous survey into cycling and sexual health; men for now, women to follow.

http://gcn.eu/SexualHealthSurvey
    i guess it's one of those surveys where it's important to fill out regardless of your experience, otherwise people who have had issues are more likely to skew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd vote for this bartape (black and red version)

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Supacaz/Super-Sticky-Kush-Galaxy-Bar-Tape/DTJL

It's expensive, but Sagan uses it so it must be cool. In keeping with your current dual colour bar tape too.

joey100 wrote: »
    I'd vote for this bartape (black and red version)

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Supacaz/Super-Sticky-Kush-Galaxy-Bar-Tape/DTJL

It's expensive, but Sagan uses it so it must be cool. In keeping with your current dual colour bar tape too.

Now that I like... the bike is ruining me financially but I want it to be perfect and exactly what I want for when I set off for Lejog in September

Now that I like... the bike is ruining me financially but I want it to be perfect and exactly what I want for when I set off for Lejog in September

Lizard Skins, not the camo one like you have. Not white. Either Black, Red or black/red but the correct answer is always black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Had a dream about my old 531 Raleigh Campagnolo Grand Sport bike last night., I still have the frame in the shed and for some reason, in my dream, it was hanging in a modern art bicycle museum. The curator of the museum had chopped off the chain-stays, he said it looks better without them. I was confused, on one hand I was proud my bike was in such a prime position in the a great museum but on the other hand he ruined it by cutting off the chain-stays. We had a deep and meaningful conversation on the modifications I made to it over it's lifetime.

Ahh dreams about bikes... All is well in the world :D

• Advertisement

article about how cars are getting bigger - too big for standard parking spaces.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5874689/Modern-cars-big-DONT-fit-UK-parking-space.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone got a contact name / number for someone in Clontarf CC?

I have the generic secretary email address from CI, but no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

article about how cars are getting bigger - too big for standard parking spaces.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5874689/Modern-cars-big-DONT-fit-UK-parking-space.html

they've been getting bigger for years and people are driving larger models in general (i.e. fewer "small" cars like Micras and Yarises on the road compared to the 80s and 90s; the current vogue for "crossovers" is bad news for many reasons). It's one of the reasons cyclists are getting squeezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

loyatemu wrote: »
    they've been getting bigger for years and people are driving larger models in general (i.e. fewer "small" cars like Micras and Yarises on the road compared to the 80s and 90s; the current vogue for "crossovers" is bad news for many reasons). It's one of the reasons cyclists are getting squeezed.

Crossover are taller but are not really any bigger in footprint than the cars upon which they're based. The footprint of a Ford Kuga is more-or-less the same as a Focus saloon (and only differs from the Focus hatchback by perhaps 200mm in length), the VW Tiguan is the same footprint as the Jetta or the Touran people carrier. Height and styling make them appear far more substantial, but they are bigger for the same reason all new cars are bigger.

As a related aside, over the past decade manufacturers made many of their saloon and hatchback models lower in an attempt to make them appear more sporty / improve handling etc. One of the results is that they became too low for elderly drivers, many of whom have migrated to crossovers for ease of access and comfort reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Crossover are taller but are not really any bigger in footprint than the cars upon which they're based. The footprint of a Ford Kuga is more-or-less the same as a Focus saloon (and only differs from the Focus hatchback by perhaps 200mm in length), the VW Tiguan is the same footprint as the Jetta or the Touran people carrier. Height and styling make them appear far more substantial, but they are bigger for the same reason all new cars are bigger.

that may be true, but higher cars isolate the driver from the road, and are more dangerous in pedestrian collisions. My impression is that they're worse in terms of blinds spots as well, but that probably depends on the car.

When I was growing up my mum drove a Mini, and my friends' mums all drove equivalent small cars - Fiestas, Fiat 127s, Starlet (all with 6 kids crammed into the back :pac:). Passing a cyclist in a Mini is a doddle, on many roads you wouldn't even have to cross the white line. In a Range Rover or some other bulky modern Mom-mobile however... Modern cars are much safer for their occupants, but at the expense of the safety of everyone else on the road (& don't get me started on the assholes who put bullbars on their cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The wife is looking at changing her car and is looking at a crossover for two reasons

The first is her mother struggles to get in and out of her current car.

The second is since crossovers are slowly taking over the road. She finds visibility is reduced at junctions and roundabouts with 2 lanes when they pull up beside her.

yeah, it's an arms race.
    it's not so much the width or the length i find an issue, it's the height. i've a normal saloon car and the other day had a range rover sitting beside me at the lights. the bonnet was probably six inches above my eye-line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone in Santry area or close that has a Hollowtech II dustcap removal tool? Mine's worn/rounded where the allen key goes and new tools are on order. Would cycle down to Humphries, but the steel frame would be awkward to carry

I get a sore foot and hip when cycling anything over 15kms and that got me thinking that one of my legs might be longer than the other. Does anyone here use different length cranks on their bike to compensate for different length legs? I pedal on 175 cranks but I'm thinking if one side should be 172.5 and the other 175. I think my right very slightly shorter than my left which would be bloody typical if I had to get a shorter the chainset :rolleyes:!

Yes yes I know I should get a proper fit measurement, etc but wondering if anyone pedals on different crank lengths?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone in Santry area or close that has a Hollowtech II dustcap removal tool? Mine's worn/rounded where the allen key goes and new tools are on order. Would cycle down to Humphries, but the steel frame would be awkward to carry

Joe Daly in Omni?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Joe Daly in Omni?

Might give them a shout. New tools are 2 weeks away as they're a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I get a sore foot and hip when cycling anything over 15kms and that got me thinking that one of my legs might be longer than the other. Does anyone here use different length cranks on their bike to compensate for different length legs? I pedal on 175 cranks but I'm thinking if one side should be 172.5 and the other 175. I think my right very slightly shorter than my left which would be bloody typical if I had to get a shorter the chainset :rolleyes:!

Yes yes I know I should get a proper fit measurement, etc but wondering if anyone pedals on different crank lengths?

What about putting wedges under the cleat on your right shoe to compensate?

How large a difference is it? Could your saddle just be too high?

CramCycle wrote: »
    How large a difference is it? Could your saddle just be too high?

I lowered it two weeks ago and the problem got worse. Went from numb foot to numb foot and sore hip!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What about putting wedges under the cleat on your right shoe to compensate?

You might be onto something there, definitely worth a shot.

You might be onto something there, definitely worth a shot.

I think (with no expert opinion) that it would be better than the different crank length (although I have heard of this being done), as one leg will be going through a bigger degree of movement, I imagine you will be working one side more than the other and potentially causing other issues but I could be wrong.

Google gave me this, https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-deal-with-different-length-legs-25018/

Got a warranty return for Ribble, theye sent me a prepaid Royal Mail slip. Do I have to pay Irish postage regardless or will An Post pick up that is pre paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

my right leg is 20mm+ shorter than my left (looking at me walking and it looks like im going to fall over /drunk!). I got Cleat Wedges from Aidan hammond but on a 2nd pair of shoes i just added washers and got longer cleat screws. i also have a heal raise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It depends on whether the length difference is in the thigh or lower leg. If it's the thigh different cranks are in order (I have an inch and a half gap between both of my legs and this is the solution, but I haven't been able to afford to implement it!). If it's in the lower leg then wedges in the shoe or cleat will solve it, according to aidan Hammond.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    It depends on whether the length difference is in the thigh or lower leg. If it's the thigh different cranks are in order (I have an inch and a half gap between both of my legs and this is the solution, but I haven't been able to afford to implement it!). If it's in the lower leg then wedges in the shoe or cleat will solve it, according to aidan Hammond.

Interesting. It's the thigh but only marginally. If it was then perhaps the shorter leg is Ok on the 175 and its the longer leg that needs the 172.5?

Edit: which is less expensive as I'm on 175 on each side)

Advertisement