Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've no problem with people leaning against it.
    I would draw the line at things that could damage the paint.
    I would have thought a bike less likely to damage it than a person who is heavier and different rivets, zips, etc.
    The only times I've generally got annoyed were when people bounced their car doors off mine, including a mate of mine while I was standing beside him.
    This I find annoying, not because it happens, mistakes often do but when they do it and you are in the car or nearby and they just shrug and walk off. Have some f*cking class and say sorry. it is a tiny paint scuff at worst, I'm not coming after you for it to start a fight but have some class. You say excuse me when you accidentally bump into someone, this is no different. The lack of manners is annoying.
    cletus wrote: »
    MB, you have a recently restored bike, that you put time and money into. If you had it locked up outside a shop, and you came out and someone had thrown an old flat bar beater against it, maybe the grips are worn, metal poking through, would you be annoyed?
    I wouldn't, if I was, I shouldn't bring that bike out. I'd be annoyed if they locked it in a stupid way and done severe damage but it is a bike, lock it outside a shop and you have to accept that someone will lock there's nearby and they may touch.
    manafana wrote: »
    dealt with them alot, and their site is great but not hugely surprised as i'd mixed thoughts about them of late (just a gutn)

reading the twitter thread; seen they parted ways now, some comments defending him are laughable.
    I really liked their beers but they should have gotten him to resign years ago, I never knew some of the sh1te he came out with as I don't use Instagram that much. Better late than never is the only way to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A friend of mine knows them well enough, had said yer man was always a bit out there.

I've been good with food all week, I'm super strict Sunday to Friday evening, do what I want Friday night and then Saturday is about not being stupid.

Got my beer in for tonight just there

Had a legswap last week, IMHO they went too far. If it were more mellow it'd be nice. Shinebright is nice (IPA, yawn, I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭cletus

Conversation has mostly moved on, but there's been two comments to the effect of "don't bring your good bike out to the shops etc. where it's likely to get damaged".

Most people don't have the ability to do n+1 with their cars. If they have a nice car, in many cases it's their only car.

Anyway, back to beer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was actually mulling this again while out on the bike. it's probably coincidental rather than causal that for most people, the only possession of theirs which they will regularly leave unattended in public is also the second most expensive (or most expensive) thing they own. plus for some (some, not all) it's also a statement they choose to make about themselves.
    certainly for the latter, if it's a statement about themselves - and i know a few people like this - i wonder (pop psychology alert!) is it this aspect which makes them most annoyed about bumps or scratches on their car; it's a dent in how they present themselves to the world.

please feel free to tear shreds out of my half-formed thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

was actually mulling this again while out on the bike. it's probably coincidental rather than causal that for most people, the only possession of theirs which they will regularly leave unattended in public is also the second most expensive (or most expensive) thing they own. plus for some (some, not all) it's also a statement they choose to make about themselves.
    certainly for the latter, if it's a statement about themselves - and i know a few people like this - i wonder (pop psychology alert!) is it this aspect which makes them most annoyed about bumps or scratches on their car; it's a dent in how they present themselves to the world.

A quick response here from me on this, how the car/bike/motorbike looks to me is far more important than how it looks to somebody else

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's heavy for a Friday evening!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I spend most of my life looking like I was dragged out of a ditch backwards, I also feel that a clean bike is a sign of an unhealthy mind. So I may not be the best to comment, although I have in recent times taken to washing both my car and bike regularly, I still look like I haven't encountered civilisation for many years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the car i'm currently driving is black, and that was a mistake. the previous one was beige, it could go six months at times between washes. the current one barely lasts a month.

also, my cars have received several scratches from bikes over the years. one recent enough where i leaned my bike against it (the way i go cycling a lot results in me leaning my bike against the car a lot), where a gust of wind caught the bike and it pitched over, and the top cap of the steerer tube left a gouge in the paintwork.
    biggest scratch though was caused when we stopped near sonairte (on the julianstown-laytown road) - a chap in his 60s on an e-bike had a puncture with no way of fixing it, and was walking home with it to drogheda on probably the hottest day of the year. so we chucked the bike in the boot and drove him home but it managed to leave a nice deep scratch on the bumper.

That's heavy for a Friday evening!

So this chipper I'm ordering

• Advertisement

also, my cars have received several scratches from bikes over the years. one recent enough where i leaned my bike against it (the way i go cycling a lot results in me leaning my bike against the car a lot), where a gust of wind caught the bike and it pitched over, and the top cap of the steerer tube left a gouge in the paintwork.
    biggest scratch though was caused when we stopped near sonairte (on the julianstown-laytown road) - a chap in his 60s on an e-bike had a puncture with no way of fixing it, and was walking home with it to drogheda on probably the hottest day of the year. so we chucked the bike in the boot and drove him home but it managed to leave a nice deep scratch on the bumper.

White hair, dark glasses, hi vis builders vest and light coloured cargo shorts???? This fella gets around.

i can barely remember what he looks like, but he lives probably in the five oaks or beaubec estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...For me, it doesn't come down to cars, or bikes for that matter. It comes down to my possessions....
    It depends on one's circumstances though. My car is parked on a public street beside a large secondary school. I just accept that pupils will be leaning against it, eating their lunch on the bonnet etc. It's parked up there probably 95% of the time so it's just something I've come to accept rather than become a curtain twitcher.

(One of the side mirrors was kicked off recently which was a bit annoying as it cost €450 to repair).

It depends on one's circumstances though. My car is parked on a public street beside a large secondary school. I just accept that pupils will be leaning against it, eating their lunch on the bonnet etc. It's parked up there probably 95% of the time so it's just something I've come to accept rather than become a curtain twitcher.

(One of the side mirrors was kicked off recently which was a bit annoying as it cost €450 to repair).

I'd want to punch that person in the face...

I'd want to punch that person in the face...
    I should have added that the mirror was damaged at the weekend - nothing to do with school pupils.

was just out in the car, and it's nuts how many cyclists we passed with no lights. fewer than 25% of cyclists we saw had *any* lights, i'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Someone overly precious about cars/bikes to the extent they are picking up imperfections in new car paint work is Melvin Udall territory.

As for all this craft beer/single malt whisky chatter, it's mainly marketing horsesh1t. When you can tell the difference with a blind taste test with something at stake let me know, especially when having more than one drink.

I love a drink(first got drunk on poitin at 3), and have quite a few nice whiskys I've got as gifts or bought over the years (even as a part trade with a MTB a few months back) but the whole marketing spin around all this rare/aged in whatever sh1t barrels are trendy is fcuking horrid.

As for a belly fully of "craft" beer with expensive whisky down on top. Taste buds aren't going to tell much after a drink or two.

I remember 25 yes ago as a student one of the lads would only drink Heineken/Bud or whatever. After about 6 pints we start getting the bar man to fill up empty Guinness pints glass with water(it looks like lager). He drank away a couple of pints of that.

I've had a healthy disregard for lads talking sh1te about drink since, it's usually regurgitated marketing drivel anyhow

Someone overly precious about cars/bikes to the extent they are picking up imperfections in new car paint work is Melvin Udall territory.

As for all this craft beer/single malt whisky chatter, it's mainly marketing horsesh1t. When you can tell the difference with a blind taste test with something at stake let me know, especially when having more than one drink.

I love a drink(first got drunk on poitin at 3), and have quite a few nice whiskys I've got as gifts or bought over the years (even as a part trade with a MTB a few months back) but the whole marketing spin around all this rare/aged in whatever sh1t barrels are trendy is fcuking horrid.

As for a belly fully of "craft" beer with expensive whisky down on top. Taste buds aren't going to tell much after a drink or two.

I remember 25 yes ago as a student one of the lads would only drink Heineken/Bud or whatever. After about 6 pints we start getting the bar man to fill up empty Guinness pints glass with water(it looks like lager). He drank away a couple of pints of that.

I've had a healthy disregard for lads talking sh1te about drink since, it's usually regurgitated marketing drivel anyhow

Imperfections in new car paint are costly to rectify. The fact that you are not bothered by them is not indicative of anybody else's response to them.

I've never driven a nice enough car to be precious about the body work, but if I could afford one, marks, scratches and damage caused by other people's carelessness would bother me.

Wine is the one I never got when they talk about hints of this or that. Now I could taste the difference between different types of reds etc and tell you it was a Shiraz or Malbec etc. but no, I do not get a hint of strawberry from it or anything else that isn't fermented grape juice.

Cheap piss is just that but you can get some very good wine for very little money.

When you can tell the difference with a blind taste test with something at stake let me know
    curious as to what might be at stake. is someone holding a gun to my wife's head for the situation where i can't tell the difference between a milk stout and an oatmeal stout?

• Advertisement

curious as to what might be at stake. is someone holding a gun to my wife's head for the situation where i can't tell the difference between a milk stout and an oatmeal stout?

If you cannot tell the difference, you'll be forced to drink water from Guinness glasses instead of beer for the rest of your life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If you cannot tell the difference, you'll be forced to drink water from Guinness glasses instead of beer for the rest of your life

Could be worse. Imagine being forced to drink bland Guinness for the rest of your life rather than a tasty craft stout.

Could be worse. Imagine being forced to drink bland Guinness for the rest of your life rather than a tasty craft stout.

Hey, hey. Less of that. I like Guinness

I don't get the craft beer thing. I'll drink it no problem but would enjoy Guinness more. Similarly, when in the UK, I much prefer the mass produced warm bitter than the individual real ales. I'll drink any kind of wine and can't tell if it's a €5 or €50 bottle. Hipster coffee shite is lost on me too - Maxwell House is fine as is airplane coffee. (I am fussy about tea though).

I've about a quarter of the bottle below left.

First time reading the box this evening; come to think of it the scent of banans, oranges was often followed by subtle liquorice and damson combination with the arabica bean lingering on.

Sweet Jesus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So after someone's pissed, they couldn't tell the difference? Not actually a controlled group. People would treat charlie's like gourmet cooking after a few pints. I had my first chinese takeaway in years (from a reputedly good one) a few weeks ago. Hated it. Don't get it. It's just bland hot food

I've sat down and had drinks/beers that gave had all sorts of different taste, same for whiskeys. I've a fairly hefty collection and beyond the bottom shelf stuff I don't think any of them are at all similar and it's not marketing that's telling me that.

Put o'hara's leann follain into a drip for me and feed me and I'll be happy, and very quickly pished.

Mi Daza from rising sons is another lovely one , but alas not available outside of cork

I'll drink any kind of wine and can't tell if it's a €5 or €50 bottle.
    i read a book a few years back about (among other things) the sense of taste and food, and the author talked to a taste expert who maintained (in an american context) that there was not much difference between a $15 and a $50 bottle of wine. in that price range, you're in the 'mass produced but done well' range.
    one of the takeaways from the book was (unsurprisingly) your sense of taste is acquired. if you haven't tasted a wide range of coffees, for example, you're less able to tell the difference between them.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18377999-gulp

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've a fairly hefty collection and beyond the bottom shelf stuff I don't think any of them are at all similar and it's not marketing that's telling me that.

Is it the nectar and plum will allow you to tell the 21 yr old Kilbeggan from the 12yr Yellow spot?

Will you tell them apart on a blind taste?

ah, the joys of a cycling forum where people will find clear differences between a €2.5k bike and a €3k bike but we're discussing the difference between a €2 and a €3.50 bottle of beer.

• Advertisement

Y'all a bunch of misery guts. Anyway, I'm full of craft beer now and about to enjoy a pizza :)

Advertisement