Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any recommendations?
    i just went for the kinnegar tonight. the yannaroddy is an old reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. if you haven't tasted a wide range of coffees, for example, you're less able to tell the difference between them...
    Yes, but I've no desire to taste a wide range of coffee or to tell the difference between them. I buy take away coffee when I'm not in a position to make a cup of instant at home - i.e. when out on the bike (pre covid) or on a long car journey etc. I wouldn't leave the comfort of my home and waste time to go out to buy a coffee. It has no value to me as other things are much more important in my life.

(I'm well aware that I am easily addicted to things and that it is probably why quality doesn't particularly bother me whether it's alcohol, nicotine or caffine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't drink coffee. I love a cup of tea, though

cletus wrote: »
    I don't drink coffee. I love a cup of tea, though

+ Rich tea biscuits in a mug that will accommodate 4 in one dunk !!!!! Om nom nom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't had a cup of tea since i was maybe 18 or 19, i think. i was learning to drive, and my dad got me to drive to rochfortbridge where my mother was at a school reunion; we were ushered inside and a nun poured me a cup of tea, so i threw probably three sugars in it and drank it as quickly as possible to get it over with. the nun clearly saw this, and decided i must love tea, so poured me another. that was left to go cold.

it may have been the only cup of tea i have ever drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is it the nectar and plum will allow you to tell the 21 yr old Kilbeggan from the 12yr Yellow spot?

Will you tell them apart on a blind taste?

I might not be able to tell you which one is which, but I could tell you they are different and which one I very much prefer.

I've a few which I could definitely pick out of a blind line up from my own collection because they taste like nothing else I've ever had.

Same with coffees as they've been brought up. There's a difference whether it's roast, brewing technique, country of origin etc. Ive tried loads of varieties and have a handful that I'd never go near again and plenty id love to have forever

Y'all a bunch of misery guts. Anyway, I'm full of craft beer now and about to enjoy a pizza :)

Handmade sourdough and stone oven baked I hope?

... we were ushered inside and a nun poured me a cup of tea, so i threw probably three sugars in it and drank it as quickly as possible to get it over with. the nun clearly saw this, and decided i must love tea, so poured me another. that was left to go cold.

it may have been the only cup of tea i have ever drunk.
    Bit like your average Irish wake!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It took me along time to realise to realise that there are only three tastes when it comes to booze.
    I like it, I don't like it, I don't care I just want to be drunk.

Some people like Budweiser, some don't, some just want to be drunk.
    Some like Scotch, some think it tastes like hospital cleaner, others just want to be drunk.
    Some like craft beer, some don't, some just want to hide their alcoholism by paying extortionate prices for booze.
    Long story short, if you like it, enjoy it and f*&( everyone else, if you don't, well don't drink it and leave everyone else to their own choices. And if you want to get drunk, just admit it and don't hide behind pretentious descriptions

This pattern goes for all alcohol. We just don't like to admit.

No different than many things but it is more craic on the internet if you can dress someone down for what you pretend is an unequivocal fact but in reality is something that is completely subjective.

Having served beers in a former life the amount of f wits who would talk about the quality of a pint as if it was dom perignon was unreal. The lyrics of the song "there's more life in a traps vest" by Stereophonics comes to mind. "The fuss they make, you'd swear they were buying a car"

And there are 5 tastes the tongue can detect in general with varying degrees of sensitivity depending on age and gender. Women typically favor sweet and men savoury. The 5 are sweet, sour, salty, bitter ,umami and these are detected with different parts of the tongue bitter vs sour are the ones people commonly mix up when talking about. General rule is lemon is sour coffee is bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭cletus

...these are detected with different parts of the tongue...

The distinct area idea was mostly due to a poorly presented paper on the subject. The differences in taste in different areas of the tongue is minute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    Handmade sourdough and stone oven baked I hope?

Not sure how domino's cook or prepare?

Got a bit drunk on my evening to cook

Cut myself too attacking what might have been a false widow spider (twas that or another more common one whose name escapes me_. Picked up the nearest thing to squish it and it turned out to be a bit of broken mirror that was in my garden.

In future, fire.

I was making spaghetti bolognese

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Got a bit drunk on my evening to cook
    Is that authentic Irish blood sausage ?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Is that authentic Irish blood sausage ?

It is now

Weepsie wrote: »
    a false widow spider (twas that or another more common one whose name escapes me_.
    there's the false widow and cupboard spider, steatoda nobilis and steatoda grossa. they look quite similar.

I see talk of blood sausage, something I am very fond of !!!!! I must have tried the local versions in every place I've been. Amazing the different takes on it.

Where my partner is from there are a few variations which are very different to ours and different to each other, one I had was served with mashed spuds with shredded pickled cabbage mixed through the spuds. Yum!!!!!! The other lets just say it less blood and more "meat" than I was used to seeing in a blood sausage :rolleyes: /gags

Also love salami and saucisson type sausage, the smellier the the better there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Kind of agree with the whole craft beer v mass brewing debate, but bigger picture isn't it nice that its a sector that an SME can make a viable business from?

In general in terms of the nicest IPA's etc, your going get the best tasting stuff by buying off your craft brewers. If you drink for sake of it and just like plain lager then supermarket brand is your man. Also the price difference isn't that big to your big brewers "Premium" brands

In a world where we have people buying probably 99% of their spend between amazon and the local large supermarket.

As for sourdough, i hit our local market on fridays for a batch of sourdough loafs & baguettes :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Dublin Northside, the Cremore Bakery for really tasty sourdough bread. He only bakes it for sale on a Saturday. Not available the rest of the week

washing the car and then the bike when it's 3C out and windy, and spitting very faint snow, wasn't the cleverest idea ever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

De Bhál wrote: »
    Dublin Northside, the Cremore Bakery for really tasty sourdough bread. He only bakes it for sale on a Saturday. Not available the rest of the week
    this chap is a keen cyclist - has written at least one book about cycling, so this dovetails nicely:

https://twitter.com/RobPennWildwood/status/1358487402394877954

... for really tasty sourdough bread....
    Tasty and sourdough in the same sentence? No, I won't be having that!

Fair chance my dad baked it so. Works there a couple of days a week p/t

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Anyone notice the marketing emails from the online retailers are becoming more personalised.

Now its Clementine from Alltricks.......and John from Bike24. Maybe there's evidence that it produces more sales?

was wondering the other day, given that drizzle and rain and general road spray can be irritating on your glasses when cycling, what it's like on a motorbike with a helmey visor?

• Advertisement

was wondering the other day, given that drizzle and rain and general road spray can be irritating on your glasses when cycling, what it's like on a motorbike with a helmey visor?
    Just flick up the visor if it's bad. The bike racers have strips of plastic that they peel off every so often (presumably lots of insect splatter at high speeds).

Advertisement