Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's absolutely amazing!
    Did she use reflective wool?
    Fair play to her, she has some patience!

ETA I also love her rainbow wool basket and bar duck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

eeeee wrote: »
    That's absolutely amazing!
    Did she use reflective wool?
    Fair play to her, she has some patience!

ETA I also love her rainbow wool basket and bar duck!

Yep, reflective wool. Who even knew such a thing existed? She's produced some stunning stuff over the past year.

smacl wrote: »
    Yep, reflective wool. Who even knew such a thing existed? She's produced some stunning stuff over the past year.

Amazing. This opens up a whole new world of woolly possibilities. I am excited to see what her talents create next!

I used to like knitting when I was younger, but as a deeply impatient person me and knitting never really gelled. Maybe I'll take it up again when I get old. It can be very soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My wife could knit for Ireland although I'm not sure if I want to introduce her to hi-vis wool - especially as she thinks I don't wear enough (any) hi-vis. I'm getting itchy just thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes, indeed, it comes from hi viz sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

deise08 wrote: »
    Fair play to that garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Totally, and great news.

But does it strike you as a bit haphazard? I thought (hoped) there was a more systemic process in place for theft notice and subsequent recovery than just memory or luck.

My rather creative eldest daughter decided to knit herself a hi-viz to complete her bike shiek. Rapha eat your heart out.

542743.jpg

Pretty damn reflective too

542744.jpg

Brilliant smacl.

I think she has something here - would she consider orders? I can see a variety of uses for these, especially with work/club/event logos worked into the design. Something someone might pay a bit more for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Totally, and great news.

But does it strike you as a bit haphazard? I thought (hoped) there was a more systemic process in place for theft notice and subsequent recovery than just memory or luck.
    or else the garda recognised the person with it as a known bike thief, but that might not be enough on its own to detain the bike; so claiming a garda recognised an unremarkable bike eight months later is easier to claim?

• Advertisement

I suspect that's at least a part of it.

I'm hoping there are databases in use at least - for matching reported thefts with documented finds etc. Serial number or no serial number, I'm hoping some technology is involved.

Low priority I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out in the car earlier. the roads have been liberally doused in grit. let that be a warning to anyone out in the next few days. hose your bikes down after a spin...

I got gritted out on my fake commute.
    The gritter had a snow plough on the front, they're really getting ready!

suggested cycling earworms for when out cycling and you can't shift a tune from your head?
    'legs are burning' by midnight oil.
    'help me zondas' by the beach boys.
    'the sound of cyclists' by simon and garfunkel.
    hello cunard my old friend
    i've come to bust myself up you again...

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1359831545247334402

dealing with that pinch point at whitehall GAA club will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

The car is booked in for it's NCT next week. I presume I can leave the roof bars and the pair of Thule 598 Prorides on it? They are a permanent fixture and a PITA to remove (plus I've nowhere to put them!). Anyone left their bike racks on the car for the NCT? Do they care?! Obviously there won't be bikes on them for the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Came across this site, nice in theory but don't know would jerseys be tighter fit than average amateur is used to or if the pricing is good- https://proownedcycling.com/pages/about that sell professional gear that the riders don't wear anymore

In 2015, Oscar Bjørn-Rosager got a good idea. The idea was to offer Danish cycling exercisers and fans the cycling clothing that the professional cycling teams were no longer allowed to wear. He had been a part of cycling for several years and discovered that every year the pro teams were left with excess equipment and clothes that needed replacement due to new sponsors.

Together with the professional cycling industry, Oscar invented a solution that creates a more sustainable consumption and production pattern in modern cycling. Everyone interested could now get hold of the unique professional cycling clothing - without it costing a fortune.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The car is booked in for it's NCT next week. I presume I can leave the roof bars and the pair of Thule 598 Prorides on it? They are a permanent fixture and a PITA to remove (plus I've nowhere to put them!). Anyone left their bike racks on the car for the NCT? Do they care?! Obviously there won't be bikes on them for the test!
    They won't care (apart from maybe checking that they're secure). Roof bars don't get a mention in the NCT Manual...
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/New%202018/NCT%20Manual%202018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

They won't care (apart from maybe checking that they're secure). Roof bars don't get a mention in the NCT Manual...

Thanks for that. They are very secure alright - they hold my most prized possessions after all!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Came across this site, nice in theory but don't know would jerseys be tighter fit than average amateur is used to or if the pricing is good- that sell professional gear that the riders don't wear anymore

In 2015, Oscar Bjørn-Rosager got a good idea. The idea was to offer Danish cycling exercisers and fans the cycling clothing that the professional cycling teams were no longer allowed to wear. He had been a part of cycling for several years and discovered that every year the pro teams were left with excess equipment and clothes that needed replacement due to new sponsors.

Together with the professional cycling industry, Oscar invented a solution that creates a more sustainable consumption and production pattern in modern cycling. Everyone interested could now get hold of the unique professional cycling clothing - without it costing a fortune.

Pro-owned cycling clothing has been a thing for years, there is a chap on adverts out Blanchardstown way that normally has some Belgian continental level team gear and Nikki Harris (Matt Brammeier's wife) had an Ebay store before they got involved with the "Africa Kit Appeal" charity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1359831545247334402

dealing with that pinch point at whitehall GAA club will be interesting.

Will they properly surface it? It's awful

there is a wide on-road lane painted along collins avenue already, and it's a very handy spot for the parents to park while picking up their kids at the CBS beside DCU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

there is a wide on-road lane painted along collins avenue already, and it's a very handy spot for the parents to park while picking up their kids at the DBS beside DCU.

Yup and it's full of all sorts of debris all of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

While out last week the connector link on my KMC chain broke, (it wasn't long on the bike, I reckon I didn't fit it properly) instead of walking home I dropped it to a LBS, I asked them to replace the headset bearings too, they needed doing. Collected today, my KMC chain is gone and has been replaced by standard shimano, the lads can't find the KMC chain now, seems it was binned. Kinda fuming given I paid 100quid for the chain and when I dropped it in I specifically asked for a connector link to be added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

While out last week the connector link on my KMC chain broke, (it wasn't long on the bike, I reckon I didn't fit it properly) instead of walking home I dropped it to a LBS, I asked them to replace the headset bearings too, they needed doing. Collected today, my KMC chain is gone and has been replaced by standard shimano, the lads can't find the KMC chain now, seems it was binned. Kinda fuming given I paid 100quid for the chain and when I dropped it in I specifically asked for a connector link to be added

Only kinda fuming !
    Speaks volumes about the mechanic :(

So they owe you a KMC chain Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

secman wrote: »
    Only kinda fuming !
    Speaks volumes about the mechanic :(

Not sure my chain ever made it to the mechanic. Chap that took it in wasn't the mechanic.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    So they owe you a KMC chain Jimmy.

Yeah I'm with you there.

Serves me right for A) Not doing it myself and B) Not using my normal lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Last time I got the car checked a Taxi driver was very upset that they wouldn't test his car because it had a perspex screen between the front and back compartments. He had been advised/required? to have this fitted to pervent Covid transmission but the tester wouldn't go near the car until he had it removed.
    You're probably okay with the roof bars though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Last time I got the car checked a Taxi driver was very upset that they wouldn't test his car because it had a perspex screen between the front and back compartments....
    The screen would possibly obstruct testing the front seats rail travel and seat recline especially in a smaller car.

Advertisement