Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭cletus

Child seats are tested (or used to be) for fit. If they were fitted incorrectly, it was a fail. Roof racks might be the same, but if they're solid, I'd say you're ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Brilliant smacl.

I think she has something here - would she consider orders? I can see a variety of uses for these, especially with work/club/event logos worked into the design. Something someone might pay a bit more for.

Thanks, I passed this on. Unfortunately the numbers of hours labour for the final garment would make it impractical. Pity her granny's past knitting age as she seemed to be able knock out a jumper over a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Take it up a notch as a hobby business? I mean if the idea is good, the route to the final product can always be sourced somewhere. Something to look into :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As I've said previously, my wife is a competent knitter and (similar to posts above) I suggested on more than one occasion that she should consider taking orders and selling the garments - she'd be knitting anyway so why not make a few bob???

She insists that it's purely a hobby that she does for enjoyment and having orders and requests and a queue of garments to knit would simply be hassle and would very quickly take the enjoyment out of it.

I suppose it's another version of not mixing business and pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

crosstownk wrote: »
    As I've said previously, my wife is a competent knitter and (similar to posts above) I suggested on more than one occasion that she should consider taking orders and selling the garments - she'd be knitting anyway so why not make a few bob???

She insists that it's purely a hobby that she does for enjoyment and having orders and requests and a queue of garments to knit would simply be hassle and would very quickly take the enjoyment out of it.

I suppose it's another version of not mixing business and pleasure.

Make an Etsy account and just sell whatever she makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Knitting takes a lot of time, like a lot. I don't know how people make money off it tbh, unless you're super quick. It's really labour intensive.
    It's a great thing to do if you're stressed, something really nice about being able to see the physical progress of something, and it's both monotonous and engaging enough to keep the mond free but not wandering!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

eeeee wrote: »
    Knitting takes a lot of time, like a lot.
    Mrs. crosstownk knits for hours on end. She only knits while watching TV - half the time the process is so repetitive that she doesn't need to look at what she's doing. She was knitting the whole way through the Ireland v France rugby match this afternoon and saw 99% of the game.

But you're right - lots of time involved - especially for the likes of Christmas jumpers with multiple interwoven colours.

I wouldn't have the patience for it. I wouldn't consider using knitting needles no more than she'd consider a riding a bike. Different strokes and all that.

Worst of all, I don't like woolly clothing as I find it 'itchy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This posted already?

Time trial between a road bike and a fully faired recumbent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon she'd have been even faster on a two wheeled recumbent? seems that not being able to lean into the corners properly might have cost her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

i reckon she'd have been even faster on a two wheeled recumbent? seems that not being able to lean into the corners properly might have cost her.

And surely the third wheel would cause extra drag.
    Can you get two wheeled covered recumbents?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And surely the third wheel would cause extra drag.
    Can you get two wheeled covered recumbents?
    Yeah, you can get at least partially faired two-wheeled recumbents. I think fully faired is tricky from the point of view of getting in and out.

Partially faired two-wheeled recumbent here (low racer)
    https://discover.hubpages.com/autos/Velo-mobile-Review

I guess it's a trade off of being less manoeuvrable versus lower aerodynamics from not being fully faired. Maybe there are fully faired two-wheelers, but as I said, I think getting in and out must be tricky. Maybe even need someone to hold it up while you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The world records are held by two-wheeled fully faired recumbents (currently ~145km/h over a flying 200m after an 8km run-up). The bikes need to be held upright with supports while the rider enters and then while it gets up to a few km/h - this is occasionally done by teammates on roller blades. The HPVs need to be caught at the other end too - otherwise they just fall over. The rider is completely sealed into the bodywork and in some cases, there are not even windows as they would interfere with the aerodynamics - instead the HPV is fitted with a camera with an internal screen.

There are some good videos of the annual speed week in Nevada - search for "Battle Mountain"

this is occasionally done by teammates on roller blades.

This is a delightful detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Handy site for anyone using a Huawei Watch or Band to track Spins/Runs and wants to upload activities to Strava

https://cthru.hopto.org/hitrava-web/

Clunky process at the moment but hopefully it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Gave my bike a good wash yesterday and counted how many makers logos are on it. I think 25 is a little excessive... (this is just the bike maker logo, not different ones)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder who'd have reason to park a hyundai near the court?

https://twitter.com/sph_lzbth/status/1362360500957372418

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

OMG Life goals!!! I need to learn how to wheelie...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A public bus in the middle of it WTF??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks to have been unfinished but not the wisest implementation approach

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is the road beside it meant to be two way? and then because of all the parked vans its become a 1 vs 2 road? Or is it actually meant to be one way and a load of people use the bike lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is the road beside it meant to be two way? and then because of all the parked vans its become a 1 vs 2 road? Or is it actually meant to be one way and a load of people use the bike lanes?

My guess.
    It used be 2 way.
    Now one way.
    The traffic coming towards us used to travel in a lane that is now the cycle lanes.
    Everyone (probably inc google maps) ignoring or oblivious

looks like it could be nice?
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6986029,7.2561786,3a,75y,9.19h,74.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp3vbhNSClwL3llQCckNO6Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

in that link, take a single step forward to see a before and after. it jumps between april 2019 and august 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

looks like it could be nice?
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6986029,7.2561786,3a,75y,9.19h,74.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp3vbhNSClwL3llQCckNO6Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

in that link, take a single step forward to see a before and after. it jumps between april 2019 and august 2020.

Paris , 20th arrondissement according to the @PeS_20e tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Any recommendations for a chain cleaner and de-greaser yoke, like this? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's pretty crazy, it's obviously a new layout but still.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any recommendations for a chain cleaner and de-greaser yoke, like this? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
    Pa.

I'd sooner just use some spray and a rag / brush. I had a cheap one from Aldi though and it was grand but not great.

Advertisement