Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any recommendations for a chain cleaner and de-greaser yoke, like this? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
    Pa.

There are slight differences but nothing much, effectively the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hi,
    Any recommendations for a chain cleaner and de-greaser yoke, like this? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
    Pa.

I had this knocking about https://sct-germany.de/index.php?locale=en&action=accessory_chemical_preview&name=9870%20Super%20Cleaner

Bought in an auto factor, however it also removes paint as my old Ksyrium can attest to, the red hub is now silver. Cleaned up the cassette real well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Hi,

Thanks,
    Pa.

Citrus degreaser form your local Dealz or wherever.
    An old toothbrush.
    Bike on bike stand with chain on big ring.
    Scrub in degreaser on the top of the chain and both sides then on the underside.
    Leave for 20 mins or so.
    Give it a good dry with a rag.
    After the next spin wipe it down again and add few drops of lube on every 3rd link.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hi,

Thanks,
    Pa.

Have had the park tools one for years, does the job well enough without much fuss. I used to take the chain off, put it into an old coke bottle with some degreaser and shake vigorously which also does a great job for not much more effort. Not sure whether that's advisable any more with 11sp quick links which are supposed to be one use. I use a big 5L container of degreaser which works out cheaper than the bike and a bike chain specific lube.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That French cycle lane has been fixed...

https://twitter.com/AlTi5/status/1362725803088297995?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No 6 month trial and legal challenge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, was elected on a platform that leans heavily on sustainable transport that is putting 1000km of bike lanes into the city.

She also has the added advantage of not having to spend her time second-guessing what ill- considered horsesh!t Mannix Flynn is going to come up with next.

Some interesting bike inventions from the past...
    Bicycle History: The Velo-Douche, Lawn Mower Bicycle & Bicycle Sailboat

I reckon the Bicycle Sailboat could help in winning a few KOMs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

happens every month or two, but someone mentioned the griffith avenue cycle lanes on the drumcondra social facebook page. i dived in, because i like repeating the same arguments over and over...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

happens every month or two, but someone mentioned the griffith avenue cycle lanes on the drumcondra social facebook page. i dived in, because i like repeating the same arguments over and over...
    a flavour...

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1363627963682537474

There's hardly a house along there which doesn't accomodate parking for a minimum of 3 cars, yet the whole of the road is still always lined with parked cars.

What if they put in hedges? would people have a problem then. Much less an eyesore?

i suggested instant clamping/towing of parked cars, which would negate the need for the bollards. no-one seemed to pick that up as a good idea.

one of the members of the same facebook group suggested the creation of a drumcondra based cycling club, and got a lot of interest, so he seems to be pursuing the idea more seriously now.

and more from that fb group:

544838.png

I'm at my desk now looking at blue sky, the urge to ditch work for a couple of hours and go biking is strong

i have a three hour gap between meetings soon, so am definitely going to get out. nice and fresh out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm at my desk now looking at blue sky, the urge to ditch work for a couple of hours and go biking is strong

Working from home today, had planned similar on an extended lunch break. instead I am sitting here doing home schooling between zoom calls.

Just had coffee there in the place at the end of my street, it's lovely outside, chilly but nice

I have done some stupid damage to my wrist so have it in a support wrap at the moment. A few meetings and some garden work to do, but will go out for a cycle for an hour later.

• Advertisement

bike related injury?

Running up the stairs with toast and catching my thumb on the banister. That sent a wood splinter under my nail and bent the thumb back so the ligaments around the wrist are quite tender.

It actually kept me awake the other night. I cycled yesterday, but only because I had to collect something from work HQ, and it eased out a bit.

I bought MTB wrist supports a few years ago for these very days.

This is the second time my staircase has tried to take me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ouch! You can't trust stairs. They're always up to something.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I have done some stupid damage to my wrist so have it in a support wrap at the moment. A few meetings and some garden work to do, but will go out for a cycle for an hour later.
    I somehow pulled my achilles tendon in my right leg about three weeks ago and it was damn sore. I limped around the place on my toes for a day or two which caused painful damage to the joint in my big toe.
    A few physio sessions later and it's all improving. I was able to walk quite slowly down and back to the village here yesterday for a take away coffee. Today I seem to have an ache in my right calf presumably because I'm still not putting full weight on my toe and maybe pushed it too much yesterday.
    To make it worse, I'm working at home looking outside at the lovely sky and absolutley loads of people (of all ages) passing by on their bikes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Be careful with that Seth - achilles tendon issues tend to be annoyingly chronic in adults, not to mention very painful.

Ouch! You can't trust stairs. They're always up to something.
    if this joke doesn't get more likes, i'm going to start randomly issuing bans.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Be careful with that Seth - achilles tendon issues tend to be annoyingly chronic in adults, not to mention very painful.
    Yeah thanks. I wouldn't mind but I'm still not sure what caused it.
    Had it been the bike or running I'd be kinda happy but having no obvious cause I feel a bit cheated.
    It's still a bummer watching everyone else having fun outside (and with the usual whatsapps from club mates about their spins) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Anyone have a spare wire/cable for a boa type dial.

Broke one on my most comfy shoes i fixed it last time with a spare boa dial and wire the bike shop gave me.

Based in south dublin and would be happy pay, quiet hard to source quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

manafana wrote: »
    Anyone have a spare wire/cable for a boa type dial.

Broke one on my most comfy shoes i fixed it last time with a spare boa dial and wire the bike shop gave me.

Based in south dublin and would be happy pay, quiet hard to source quickly.

Send me a pm and I’ll pop it in post f.o.c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

It's still a bummer watching everyone else having fun outside (and with the usual whatsapps from club mates about their spins) :(

I did mine severely a few years ago (thankfully no surgery) but it was a summer lounging around the garden. Hope you recover quickly

Advertisement