Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the longest you've ever procrastinated about something stupid in relation to looking after your bike? and not something normal.

a year or two back, i realised my left shifter was a bit loose, and thought to myself 'must tighten that when i get home'.
    get home, 'oh i'm a bit tired and sweaty, i'll do it later'.
    next time out on the bike 'oh, i forgot to tighten my left shifter, must do that when i get home'

and repeat. i've found myself doing that for weeks on end (albeit with less pressing issues than a loose shifter)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

what's the longest you've ever procrastinated about something stupid in relation to looking after your bike? and not something normal.

a year or two back, i realised my left shifter was a bit loose, and thought to myself 'must tighten that when i get home'.
    next time out on the bike 'oh, i forgot to tighten my left shifter, must do that when i get home'

and repeat. i've found myself doing that for weeks on end (albeit with less pressing issues than a loose shifter)

I'm 18 months now looking at the cable outer that I cut too short for my rear brake, so short it affects tge braking performance. Here's to another 18months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭cletus

Cleaning my bike, literally a year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was kinda thinking of 'cleaning your bike' in the 'not something normal' caveat.

what prompted this was me finally getting the finger out today and adjusting the saddle on my summer bike to match the angle of the one on my winter bike, having put that off for several months of use.

i was kinda thinking of 'cleaning your bike' in the 'not something normal' caveat.

what prompted this was me finally getting the finger out today and adjusting the saddle on my summer bike to match the angle of the one on my winter bike, having put that off for several months of use.

So...does not cleaning my bike not count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I've my 2nd bike 9n the turbo since the start of covid lockdowns.

It needed a new rear tyre a year ago.

It really needed one at the start of the level 5 in November.

Now it's bulging badly for about a third of the circumference.

cletus wrote: »
    So...does not cleaning my bike not count?
    ah, just that it's not that there's anything *wrong* with a dirty bike, it's routine maintenance, rather than failing to fix something actually broken or misaligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm two years threatening to change my lower headset bearing. I finally bought a new bearing a few months ago. But when I went to remove the old one I found that both halves were seized to the fork and head tube. I hadn't the time available to remove the races. I did start a thread on it and got some good advice but the job is still long fingered.

It's making fierce racket when I turn the bars so I'll need to do it soon........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F28%2F2020%2F06%2F15%2Fmars-2020-perseverance-rover-render-MARSPROVE0620.jpg

Anyone else think Mars perseverance would benefit aesthetically from a set of 50mm deep wheels?

it can be windy on mars though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

meercat wrote: »
    Send me a pm and I’ll pop it in post f.o.c

Thanks meercat, after some searching at home, i dug out the old dial, think i have enough wire left over to do this one too.

Will reach out if it doesn't work out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

it has spirit, opportunity and curiosity for a lead out!

Everything looks better with 50mm sections

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That reminds me of the commentary on The Martian, where it's mentioned that the destructive storm that results in Watney being left behind in reality couldn't exert massive damage directly, because the atmosphere on Mars is so much less dense than the atmosphere on Earth.

Not disagreeing with you. Just found it interesting at the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There was recent mention of the Griffith Ave cycle lane here. Now it is a property selling feature...

https://twitter.com/clicky_here/status/1364924241825652739

I recently came across Zinn and The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance.

It looks like a nice bike, and I was tempted to buy it, but how actually useful is it, or are books like this in general?

I've had Haynes manuals for cars before, but they are make, model and mark specific, and give detailed descriptions of much more complex work than you would normally undertake on a bike

There's a Haynes manual on general bicycle maintenance too. I have it. It's useful alright. I don't think there's anything in any of the books I have that isn't also online, and there definitely is information online that isn't in my books (especially around hub gears and roller brakes), but I like to have books.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There's a Haynes manual on general bicycle maintenance too. I have it. It's useful alright. I don't think there's anything in any of the books I have that isn't also online, and there definitely is information online that isn't in my books (especially around hub gears and roller brakes), but I like to have books.

Well, I like books too, of all sorts, so I was tempted to buy it just to have on the bookshelf, but I'm just not sure if I'd ever actually use it

Personally, I like to use the books, as it stops me drifting away to other online things. I can't have a smartphone as my personal phone for similar reasons, though I'm ok with having one for use in the house. But not everyone is like me.

Anyway, cut a long story short,I do use the books myself.

Are half the tricky maintenance issues these days down to proprietary parts made by manufacturers though, which would be hard to capture in a book?

• Advertisement

Are half the tricky maintenance issues these days down to proprietary parts made by manufacturers though, which would be hard to capture in a book?
    In my experience, most of the jobs I'd do myself are covered adequately by general maintenance books, though, as I said, they weren't any help for how to get the rear wheel off a bakfiets with all the gear cables and roller-brake setup, because it's just too specific.

So I use both. I used to print out the PDFs from the manufacturers, or bits of them, to stick in the books. I kind of know how to do most things now from memory though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Park Tools website for all maintenance issues. They also have a really good book.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

cletus wrote: »
    Well, I like books too, of all sorts, so I was tempted to buy it just to have on the bookshelf, but I'm just not sure if I'd ever actually use it

I bought it, and still haven't used it! Mainly reflective of my technical incompetence and impatience though, and fact there's a good bike shop down the road. So I'd just be wasting two precious hours and then bring it down to him anyway.

But it is nice for someone like me to try to understand how bikes work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was driving over the weekend, and was about to take a left turn into my estate. I saw someone I know cycling in the other direction, and something in my brain switched tracks and I indicated my left turn with my hand.

I suppose I should be grateful there was nobody in the passenger seat.

We've all been there :D

He's not having a good time that lad, he gave a vid of a close pass to the Guards and ended up getting a fine himself

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

buffalo wrote: »
    I was driving over the weekend, and was about to take a left turn into my estate. I saw someone I know cycling in the other direction, and something in my brain switched tracks and I indicated my left turn with my hand.

I suppose I should be grateful there was nobody in the passenger seat.

I was driving down Manor Street in my car, a person at the bus stop put out their hand for the oncoming bus - I pulled over :):) :pac:

If anyone is on the lookout for a new role...

https://twitter.com/CyclingIreland/status/1367044995887341569

• Advertisement

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I was driving down Manor Street in my car, a person at the bus stop put out their hand for the oncoming bus - I pulled over :):) :pac:
    i have been tempted on occasion, when passing a bus stop and there's a bus behind me, to high five the people sticking their hand out to hail the bus.

Advertisement