Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i have been tempted on occasion, when passing a bus stop and there's a bus behind me, to high five the people sticking their hand out to hail the bus.

Used to do this all the time when I was younger. It became really popular when the first Borat movie came out with people actively calling for it as you went by. I still get teenagers who call for it on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    I was driving over the weekend, and was about to take a left turn into my estate. I saw someone I know cycling in the other direction, and something in my brain switched tracks and I indicated my left turn with my hand...
    When at work, I sometimes reach around to the back of my shirt to get my 'phone.
    If anyone is on the lookout for a new role...

https://twitter.com/CyclingIreland/status/1367044995887341569
    Huet? - that name's a blast from the past. Huet Motors - used to stock some high end stuff. They were down around Townsend Street direction. I think they famously had a converted Rolls Royce as their recovery truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the big round thing on his right drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the big round thing on his right drop?

Garnin Virb remote.

rf-lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

. Huet Motors - used to stock some high end stuff. They were down around Townsend Street direction.
    They used to be Volvo dealers in Townsend Street. Ballsbridge Motors moved there temporarily in the early 90s while the Shelbourne Road premises was being renovated.

Not sure if the Huet in the tweet linked by Seth is any connection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.discobrakes.com/?product_code=OBE-DS06TG

Anyone want these? Part wrong order sent by disco.

I'll drop in post to anyone who can use them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd have taken them, but they're not compatible with my brakes. which begs the question, why have subtle differences between brake pads; but not subtle enough to make them cross-compatible?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RightToBikeIt's first fine appears to have arrived.
    I'd expect this to gather legs if and when a summons arrives.

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1367400587696947201

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's poor riding and poor driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's poor riding and poor driving.
    I don't want to get into a big debate about it, but if I was a Garda handed that footage I would have fined the van driver and the bike rider.

Regardless, it could have the negative impact of discouraging people to come forwards with video of dangerous overtaking for fear that the rider is also punished.

Regardless, it could have the negative impact of discouraging people to come forwards with video of dangerous overtaking for fear that the rider is also punished.

Ah I don't think so tbh. Its clear as day that both road users lacked correct judgement there. And now this guy has cycling twitter up in arms, it's embarrassing.

if you ask me, it highlights the discrepancy between the punishments meted out to driver and cyclist. the driver is likely to get what, a 60 quid fine and two penalty points? and the penalty points may well end up not having any further impact on the driver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My only problem with is, I don't see a driver being punished for a merge like that (and it was a crap merge imo), and it's a type I see regularly on the Ballymun road by impatient drivers.

I haven't followed the thread, maybe he knows what's happened to the van driver, but I would certainly consider the driver's obvious punishment swerve to be a more serious offence.

The driver was fined also. The cyclist in this case is arguing he was on the left to let cars through and then moved back to what he perceived to be his lane with a weak signal and expected the van to slow down and allow him in.

Van driver doesn't slow then decides to close pass.

The cyclists lack of self awareness or self preservation for that matter is staggering. The van driver is also a C U Next Tuesday.

Weepsie wrote: »
    My only problem with is, I don't see a driver being punished for a merge like that (and it was a crap merge imo), and it's a type I see regularly on the Ballymun road by impatient drivers.

Those drivers probably don't hand video footage of themselves doing it to the Guards though! It reminded me of the guy I went to school with who ended up on Irelands dumbest criminals

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/irelands-dumbest-drug-dealer-reports-burglary-to-station-after-gardai-seize-246k-stash-27934996.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's given me a smile Jimmy :)

After a loooong time off the bike this year, I'm nearly in a position to get a turbo up and running. I want to use a separate rear wheel for the trainer to save me having to swap tyres to go out on the road. Is it worth asking around shops to see if they have something hanging around they'll give me for €20, or just order the cheapest wheel I can find online?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    After a loooong time off the bike this year, I'm nearly in a position to get a turbo up and running. I want to use a separate rear wheel for the trainer to save me having to swap tyres to go out on the road. Is it worth asking around shops to see if they have something hanging around they'll give me for €20, or just order the cheapest wheel I can find online?

Put up a wanted ad, surely somebody has something. Remember you'll need a cassette too and if you use a worn out cassette you'll potentially damage the chain.

I'm like a dog here now, had my motorbike test this morning, did the ROTR and technical checks and then my headphones wouldn't work. You have to bring your own now due to covid and they insist on a set without a mic and of course mine just wouldn't work so the test wasn't conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....had my motorbike test this morning, did the ROTR and technical checks and then my headphones wouldn't work. You have to bring your own now due to covid and they insist on a set without a mic and of course mine just wouldn't work so the test wasn't conducted.
    That's a sickner!

I did the motorbike test the day they introduced that headset system. There were loads of teething problems with it. My test was at the same time as another bike test (Finglas) and the instructions got crossed and everyone got lost. I was wondering why nothing made sense - what right turn? They arranged another one using the traditional method which I failed due to speeding. Passed it a few weeks later under the old system again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Very sad news coming from Trim this morning. A well known member of the club there had a massive heart attack and died while out on a spin this morning. 56 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

seamus wrote: »

Seem harder to get 2nd hand than I'd have thought. Put adverts ad up for rear 700cc wheel, turbo tyre & 11 speed cassette (or each items in nuts own. Tumbleweed. If you're in Dublin have a better chance I'd say, most won't post a wheel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A question for those with better memory than me, one of the threads here, possibly this one had a discussion on roads built that were not finished or didn't connect to anything e.g. bridges over motorways etc. Does anyone remember any of them?

CramCycle wrote: »
    A question for those with better memory than me, one of the threads here, possibly this one had a discussion on roads built that were not finished or didn't connect to anything e.g. bridges over motorways etc. Does anyone remember any of them?

There's on on the Royal Canal near Ashtown but after years it now seems there's building going on

It was in this thread - around mid-Dec
    Weepsie mentioned roads for Thornton hall
    MB responded with this...

Roads which used to go somewhere but have been abandoned/severly neglected are way more interesting to ride.

They need to swap out that Google car for a jeep/unimog

https://www.strava.com/segments/14456821

Dropped pin
    Near Ballynamult, Co. Waterford
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/9pHiimKxKfhW6wtK8

Waterford
    Co. Waterford
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/gDxuGqJzuCeSNp7r7

Dropped pin
    Near Glenpatrick, Co. Waterford
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/B1bt1Kz6cV1nNmq28

There may have been more - search through the thread, I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can I ask a quick question without starting a new thread ? (don't think it warrants a new thread)

Getting back into cycling, not that I was huge into it before, but am looking for a road bike that will be used once a week and the odd lunchtime until remote working finishes so don't want to spend a huge amount.

Am currently back running so want to add in cycling as part of my fitness regime. Currently go on 20-30k cycles every Sunday morning in my locality - I live in the middle of nowhere and am using a knobbly tired mountain bike which isn't really suitable. I've come across an older Giant SCR close to where I work, from google it seems to be 2007. Would this be ok for 50 / 60kms Sunday spins?

Also would it be possible to fit slightly wider tires to deal with some bumpy roads - kinda like a cross bike?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Can I ask a quick question without starting a new thread ? (don't think it warrants a new thread)

Getting back into cycling, not that I was huge into it before, but am looking for a road bike that will be used once a week and the odd lunchtime until remote working finishes so don't want to spend a huge amount.

Am currently back running so want to add in cycling as part of my fitness regime. Currently go on 20-30k cycles every Sunday morning in my locality - I live in the middle of nowhere and am using a knobbly tired mountain bike which isn't really suitable. I've come across an older Giant SCR close to where I work, from google it seems to be 2007. Would this be ok for 50 / 60kms Sunday spins?

Also would it be possible to fit slightly wider tires to deal with some bumpy roads - kinda like a cross bike?
    Thanks.

How much do you want to spend :pac:

If you don't want to spend a lot, you could just put cross-country type tyres on the MTB, it'll greatly improve the ride on the road.

Advertisement