Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A 2007 bike would be fine. Bike component standards don't change very much, so you'll have no issues finding parts for it. There are plenty of lads doing long days riding bikes that are twenty years old, and a few still riding bikes that were produced when Stephen Roche was a household name.

As far as I can tell, the 2007 SCR came with 26mm tyres as standard, so you should be able to upgrade them to 28mm, but I think a 26mm tyre run at 90psi instead of 100 should be sufficient to be comfortable on rough roads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this suggests 28s might be possible (link is from 2008):
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/14862758#Comment_14862758

if you're buying a bike that old, there are a few things you'd need to be conscious of (if it's a private sale) - wear on the drivetrain, and wear on the rims spring to mind. the chain, cassette, and chainrings can wear out (in that order), and rims gradually wear away along the braking surface.

if it's in good nick, i'd say it'd be fine for what you have planned, assuming it's the correct size for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

loyatemu wrote: »
    How much do you want to spend :pac:

If you don't want to spend a lot, you could just put cross-country type tyres on the MTB, it'll greatly improve the ride on the road.

I ride the MTB literally everywhere here so not sure about putting the cross tyres on it.

seamus wrote: »
    A 2007 bike would be fine. Bike component standards don't change very much, so you'll have no issues finding parts for it. There are plenty of lads doing long days riding bikes that are twenty years old, and a few still riding bikes that were produced when Stephen Roche was a household name.

As far as I can tell, the 2007 SCR came with 26mm tyres as standard, so you should be able to upgrade them to 28mm, but I think a 26mm tyre run at 90psi instead of 100 should be sufficient to be comfortable on rough roads.

Thanks Seamus, the bike in question is a large sized frame - I'm 5'10" so do you think it would suit? Last road bike i had was a medium i think and it felt tiny. Was part of the reason i didn't use it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

Heading down Clontarf cycleway today and went to pass someone who unfortunately decided to empty the contents of their nose right when I went by, they made a gesture as if to say sorry but I called him out on it. He then proceeded to try empty his nose again at me on purpose saying something like "I said I was sorry"

As if that gives you the right to assault me, not to mention during a pandemic. Unfortunately no guards were around that I could stop.

Pr!ck ruined my lunchtime spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Strobing wrote: »
    Heading down Clontarf cycleway today and went to pass someone who unfortunately decided to empty the contents of their nose right when I went by, they made a gesture as if to say sorry but I called him out on it. He then proceeded to try empty his nose again at me on purpose saying something like "I said I was sorry"

As if that gives you the right to assault me, not to mention during a pandemic. Unfortunately no guards were around that I could stop.

Pr!ck ruined my lunchtime spin.

Wait... someone fired a snot rocket at you? I can safely say I'd be in handcuffs right now if I was in your position. What an absolute an utter scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

Wait... someone fired a snot rocket at you? I can safely say I'd be in handcuffs right now if I was in your position. What an absolute an utter scumbag

Pretty much, we were both moving pretty fast but I might not have been able to have such restraint if we were on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Thanks Seamus, the bike in question is a large sized frame - I'm 5'10" so do you think it would suit? Last road bike i had was a medium i think and it felt tiny. Was part of the reason i didn't use it as much.
    Depends on the manufacturer. Giant appear to have an "ML" size between M & L which would be the correct one for you.

However I think this is a relatively new offering from Giant to cater for people who fall in between the two sizes like you (and I).

So in that case, the large frame would do fine. At a later stage you might want to get a slightly shorter stem, but for getting into cycling it'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im sure this definitely happened:

m6udyO1.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I hope poor Amanda Dickenson is ok - sounds like a terrible ordeal for her to go through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hope poor Amanda Dickenson is ok - sounds like a terrible ordeal for her to go through
    and all the poor shocked people, stopped dead in their tracks!

reminds me of Ralph Wiggum

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on the manufacturer. Giant appear to have an "ML" size between M & L which would be the correct one for you.

However I think this is a relatively new offering from Giant to cater for people who fall in between the two sizes like you (and I).

So in that case, the large frame would do fine. At a later stage you might want to get a slightly shorter stem, but for getting into cycling it'd be fine.

I've missed out on the Giant on adverts unfortunately - meant to put an offer on it before I went out on my run last night and when I got back someone had an offer (€50 less than what I was willing to pay) submitted and accepted.

Search goes on so if anyone knows of a cheap starter bike please let me know.
    Can a wanted add be placed in the cycling adverts section?

what a wagon Amanda Dickinson is, does she carry around an old fashioned 8mm camera with her so she can catch things on film?!!!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Can a wanted add be placed in the cycling adverts section?
    it certainly can...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The next few days look like the commute will be interesting.

Was a bit blowy when I picked up the youngest from school earlier. Bastard of a head wind the whole way home.

I'm loving the idea of this, it's certainly a project I'd like to do sometime but with a nicer frame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFT5IOtJWq0

Pretty sure I've seen a Triumph bike like that in blue (without modern additions) locked up and rusting away at the train station in Drogheda recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Two years ago I had a decent 20km each way commute until the company moved to a location 7km closer to home. I could handle that. Today I learned that we are on the move again - this time 4km from home. Not good at all. I'll need to elongate the route or walk.

Although it will suit summer evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

never knew fuji made bikes...is this the same fuji who made camera film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

fryup wrote: »

I don't think so. Fuji Bikes, originally Japanese, have their HQ in the US. Fujifilm are still on the go and based in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Wishbone Ash had one and I'm pretty sure he put in excess of 100,000 km on it ?
    I remember seeing it and commented that the wheels looked taller or something like that, if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

The wind is howling up a storm out there at the minute - tomorrow afternoons cycle is cancelled, anyone commuting, stay safe.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Two years ago I had a decent 20km each way commute until the company moved to a location 7km closer to home. I could handle that. Today I learned that we are on the move again - this time 4km from home. Not good at all. I'll need to elongate the route or walk.

Although it will suit summer evenings.

Had similar over the years. Home at the minute but if I did need to head in it's about 4km and 5 sets of traffic lights which I always get a red on :mad:

The upside is work is on the outside of town so I can pass it and do a nice 15km loop back around to it on pan flat roads. There have been ****ty days where it's been nice to get the rain gear and boots on and just walk to work without getting the bike dirty and slogging my way there and facing the headwind and hill on the way home.

Jesus, maybe it's the angle that bike is at but even without the straps those pedals are uncomfortably near the floor on that bike for my liking :eek:

EDIT: I see the seller mentions it was too small and used on the turbo, he had to have swapped the cranks there surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

secman wrote: »
    Wishbone Ash had one and I'm pretty sure he put in excess of 100,000 km on it ?

I think it only took him about 2 years to do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

they own a load of copyrights, i remember Specialized trying sue a bike shop for using the name roubaix which they use. Soon after Fuji made them retract that lawsuit by reminding them that that copyright was on loan from fuji and not theirs to enforce.

You're a bad man Wheelo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

On a school night?? I really should have had done the same lol.

I hope they're good, as I said, my sister gave them to me and I've ne real grá for craft beers, so enjoy.

Just let me know how they were so I can tell her!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Shimano will be 100 years old on March 21st and have launched a centennial teaser page...
    https://www.shimano.com/en/100th/

Advertisement