Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Interesting. It's the thigh but only marginally. If it was then perhaps the shorter leg is Ok on the 175 and its the longer leg that needs the 172.5?

Edit: which is less expensive as I'm on 175 on each side)

For me it was 165mm on they long leg, 172 on the short one.
    Again I have to do it yet.
    My saddle is currently a good inch+ too short for my long leg, and too long for my short legleg. I'm hypermobile so compensate worth my lower back so I don't rock I'm the saddle, it helps that most of my riding is on a fixed gear (track bike) so that helps smoothness too.
    I can only get away with that for so long though, my back kills me on the bike.
    I've a heap of other issues as well, Aidan Hammond called me a challenge to fit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

nee wrote: »
    My saddle is currently a good inch+ too short for my long leg, and too long for my short legleg. I'm hypermobile so compensate worth my lower back so I don't rock I'm the saddle, it helps that most of my riding is on a fixed gear (track bike) so that helps smoothness too.
    I've a heap of other issues as well, Aidan Hammond called me a challenge to fit :pac:

You should change your name to Alfa Romeo, sounds like you were made from whatever spare parts were knocking about....

I jest :pac:

You should change your name to Alfa Romeo, sounds like you were made from whatever spare parts were knocking about....

I jest :pac:

It's true :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

And yet many of us couldn't catch your dust trail's distant cousin's dust trail 🀔

And yet many of us couldn't catch your dust trail's distant cousin's dust trail ��

Depends on what kind of day ya get me :pac:

• Advertisement

Depends on what kind of day ya get me :pac:

I reckon I'd have ya most days, my car is pretty quick once VTEC kicks in

I reckon I'd have ya most days, my car is pretty quick once VTEC kicks in

I'd be gone by that stage* :pac:

*around the corner for a nice sit down

I see the Giro Rosa is getting an evening highlight package for it's duration on Eurosport this year. Around 8pm most evening. Welcome move. The coverage I saw last year was pathetic, little more than a few minutes of a youtube video each day.

EDIT: actually 20:30 to 21:15 from Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I see the Giro Rosa is getting an evening highlight package for it's duration on Eurosport this year. Around 8pm most evening. Welcome move. The coverage I saw last year was pathetic, little more than a few minutes of a youtube video each day.

EDIT: actually 20:30 to 21:15 from Saturday.

Reminded me to check where Claudia Cretti is at after her coma. Visiting her Valcar-PBM teammates and doing 100k spins apparently. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is great, from bikesnobnyc:
    Yet spend a couple thousand on a cargo bicycle you can use to haul all that meat and beer from the store without having to pay for gas and insurance and suddenly you’re a monied elitist—unlike the decent workaday folk who spend ten times that for a Honda Accord.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/2323886/cargo-bike-backlash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

BBC Radio 4 "The food Programme" on food for cyclists in the pro peloton. Live at the moment repeated tomorrow at 15:30.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b90wtt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BBC Radio 4 "The food Programme" on food for cyclists in the pro peloton. Live at the moment repeated tomorrow at 15:30.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b90wtt

Missed it. Did beer and ice cream feature much? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

smacl wrote: »
    Missed it. Did beer and ice cream feature much? ;)

You can listen back to it, or download it as a podcast. Interesting enough listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Surprised to see 92% poll result that government should support cycling infrasctructure over other forms of transport infrastructure.

https://fora.ie/cycling-transport-spend-ireland-4117124-Jul2018?#ink-poll-4117124

First time I've had the feeling that people have noticed that Mikael Colville-Andersen has some quite odd opinions:
    https://twitter.com/copenhagenize/status/1016028853364502528

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is he a bit tired and emotional?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's ok, just do this. (Maybe with hiviz)

Metro+3.gif

Actually, pedestrians too close together in that. And in a tunnel.

Had my stitches inspected tonight and it was decided they could come out so partner almost gleefully snipped them (she's a nurse) and my 4 year old felt brave enough to supervise and offered the sage advise of "ohhh don't pick at it daddy" :D

All done, was asked if I was going out on the bike and I gave a hell's yes and the 4 year old was skedaddling to get her helmet and her maillot jaune on before I had the words out of my mouth. So no spin as such but a few laps with her on her little bike around the local area 3.8 km took nearly 45 minutes due to an emergency ice cream stop and wanting to stay away for a bit to give my partner a break from us :D

• Advertisement

Had my stitches inspected tonight and it was decided they could come out so partner almost gleefully snipped them (she's a nurse) and my 4 year old felt brave enough to supervise and offered the sage advise of "ohhh don't pick at it daddy" :D

All done, was asked if I was going out on the bike and I gave a hell's yes and the 4 year old was skedaddling to get her helmet and her maillot jaune on before I had the words out of my mouth. So no spin as such but a few laps with her on her little bike around the local area 3.8 km took nearly 45 minutes due to an emergency ice cream stop and wanting to stay away for a bit to give my partner a break from us :D

You need a whole thread of your family posts that we can all call on in times of need. That is adorable.
    Happy back on the bike time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Fian wrote: »
    Surprised to see 92% poll result that government should support cycling infrasctructure over other forms of transport infrastructure.

https://fora.ie/cycling-transport-spend-ireland-4117124-Jul2018?#ink-poll-4117124

Dublin Cycling Campaign were sharing it, so result may be slightly skewed.

Online polls are routinely freeped, as they used to say, so I don't know how seriously anyone takes them.

Agggghhhhhhh sorry about the personal post but **** is hard sometimes. Coming into Hazelhatch today and had a fairly severe panic attack, was going slowly enough but I did go over into the grass, no damage to me or bike, non drive side went down. Why do us men find it so hard to deal with what is going on in our own heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Agggghhhhhhh sorry about the personal post but **** is hard sometimes. Coming into Hazelhatch today and had a fairly severe panic attack, was going slowly enough but I did go over into the grass, no damage to me or bike, non drive side went down. Why do us men find it so hard to deal with what is going on in our own heads?

Did you panic attack cause this? My brother suffered years ago , worst episode was he stopped the car in the middle of the malahide road and clambered onto the tarmac and wouldn't move, he thought he was going to fall off the planet. Get thee some medical help if there are causing you problems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Awful things, the last one I had was 3 years ago the day my father in law died, ended up putting the bike down on the road and lying on the path, felt like my chest was collapsing and very hard to breathe. The worst bit was I was at Leeson St. bridge and quite alot of people walked around me as I lay there clutching my chest.

Hope your OK, and do talk to someone, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks guys. I took a lieu day today because I knew something was coming. They're frequent enough the last few weeks but today was a biggie. Resting heart rate is triple figures today when it's normally 55/60. I've a lot going on and probably not dealing with it as well as I could. I've been with GP and counsellor though but I haven't been able to talk to friends or family about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Many years ago, as I was driving to work, something similar happened to me. I stopped the car and parked up. At that moment, I surrendered, gathered myself, went home, told my wife and got help.
    There was a long road to recovery, but I got there.
    Cycling was a huge part of that recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

The hardest thing can be opening up emotionally to family and friends, but the relief when you do can take a huge weight off your shoulders. Fair play for talking to a GP and counsellor already though. That's a bigger step than some are able to make.

The more people I spoke to about my own mental health problems made me realise how many others have been through similar **** in their lives. But that first step of talking to someone initially was so difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The hardest thing about having mental health problems was accepting it and getting help (and not the dutch courage kind !).
    Thankfully out the other side but it was grim, but it ends and gets better.
    Cycling and the great outdoors a vital part of my own recovery and ongoing health.

Advertisement