Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    quick q- my bike has an 11 speed cassette, I'm looking at a TT that comes with a 10 speed cassette.
    Can I use it with my bike & just not go into the top cog?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately not; the sprockets are differently spaced so your indexing would be out for many gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    Wishbone Ash had one and I'm pretty sure he put in excess of 100,000 km on it ?
    I remember seeing it and commented that the wheels looked taller or something like that, if memory serves me correctly.
    Yes, I loved that Fuji. I bought it in a hurry as a temporary replacement after crashing a Ridley and ended up putting 63,000kms on it. I was running it simultaneously with 4 other bikes so it wasn't used full time.

There are relatively uncommon. I can only recall seeing a couple of others over the years. They seem to do more track bikes than road bikes. I left in for some routine repair and Billy in Richie's, Swords spotted a hairline crack all along the underside of the top bar. I 'retired' it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yes, I loved that Fuji. I bought it in a hurry as a temporary replacement after crashing a Ridley and ended up putting 63,000kms on it. I was running it simultaneously with 4 other bikes so it wasn't used full time.

There are relatively uncommon. I can only recall seeing a couple of others over the years. They seem to do more track bikes than road bikes. I left in for some routine repair and Billy in Richie's, Swords spotted a hairline crack all along the underside of the top bar. I 'retired' it immediately.

At least you got a couple of months out of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Won the C league in Sundrive on a Fuji Feather, also beat the guy who took my daughter to her graduation at the same time. Fuji track bikes are great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Won my first national medal on track on a Fuji track bike. They're my commuter now, and still by far my most favourite and treasured bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd normally put this in the videos thread, but seems to suit the general conversation.

Manon building up her old Fuji track frame. Seems she painted it in a previous video

https://youtu.be/kOrU9YkiVd8

On my phone, so can't embed

*Edit* hey eeeee, are you Welsh, by any chance...

cletus wrote: »
    I'd normally put this in the videos thread, but seems to suit the general conversation.

Manon building up her old Fuji track frame. Seems she painted it in a previous video

I had the black/red/white version I got 2nd hand, it was glorious but a size too small and I had to give in after awhile.

You have to question the self awareness of these guys sometimes when they say they want to keep the cost down and use Dura Ace parts they found lying around in the build. What she used there looked like fc 7710. and in mint so what €350+ for cranks alone :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i live near a school. just had the rather novel situation with *two* cars blocking the end of the driveway at school pick up time, each car taking up about half the space, but each on its own sufficient to block it.
    at least with one motorist, they stayed in the car. the driver of the big fat merc was gone probably 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Poor Bus driver on the way home, broke down coming off the roundabout at Loughlinstown to join the M11. I went past and doubled back to them to see did they need assistance. He thought I had jumped out of a car to give him a b*llicking. He explained the thing cut out and wouldn't restart but he has just had nothing but abuse for the last 20 minutes. Anyway, himself, a passenger and myself got it moving. As soon as we started, all of a sudden 4 other vans pulled in ahead and legged it back to give a hand. Thank *&^% as cleats are not meant for pushing buses. People really are bizarre though, I can understand people driving past for various reasons, can't help, heading somewhere on a time dependent thing and so on, but why hurl abuse at someone who has clearly broken down.

a chap my wife used to work with became a dublin fire brigade officer and was saying being spat at while marshalling traffic after an RTC on the M50 is common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    Poor Bus driver on the way home, broke down coming off the roundabout at Loughlinstown to join the M11. I went past and doubled back to them to see did they need assistance. He thought I had jumped out of a car to give him a b*llicking. He explained the thing cut out and wouldn't restart but he has just had nothing but abuse for the last 20 minutes. Anyway, himself, a passenger and myself got it moving. As soon as we started, all of a sudden 4 other vans pulled in ahead and legged it back to give a hand. Thank *&^% as cleats are not meant for pushing buses. People really are bizarre though, I can understand people driving past for various reasons, can't help, heading somewhere on a time dependent thing and so on, but why hurl abuse at someone who has clearly broken down.

So many a-holes out there, fair deuce to you for helping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Pushing a bus in cleats?
    Brave man. I'd fall on my face. In front of everyone.

Also yeah getting agressive with a breakdown is ridiculous.

I was nearly first on the scene at a bad crash 6 months ago. Myself and another lad directed traffic to keep things moving. He got abused 3 or 4 times. I got no abuse lucky enough

Pushing a bus in cleats?
    Brave man. I'd fall on my face. In front of everyone.
    Wish I had taken the shoes off in hindsight, slipped on me when I started and nearly lost my knee to road rash so I became more cautious pushing which made it far more difficult to gain traction but it got done regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

When you say bus? Like we're you pushing a double decker? I know you track lads put down serious power but jaysis :pac:

When you say bus? Like we're you pushing a double decker? I know you track lads put down serious power but jaysis :pac:
    Alas no, just a minibus, although I got a shock when he let the brake off first as it did roll an inch or two backwards as I hadn't braced for it. Glad I had popped a few practice sprints on the way home to get the legs warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lobbyist to leave insurance company :pac:
    Conor Faughnan is to leave AA Ireland after 30 years to pursue other interests.

Staff were informed on Monday that Mr Faughnan is stepping down from his role as director of consumer affairs and will leave the organisation as soon as the transition to his successor is completed, most likely in April.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/conor-faughnan-to-leave-aa-ireland-after-30-years-1.4511184

Just saying, goats (ibeks) are mental

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

unfortunately not; the sprockets are differently spaced so your indexing would be out for many gears.

Thanks. Last 2 questions- my bike (Canyon Endurance AL 7) has 11 speed 11-34 cassette. I bought an Elito Suito TT that doesn't come with a cassette & can't find an 11 speed 11-34 cassette online.

1. If I can get an 11 speed 11-32 or 11-28 will this work fine for me?

2. Do I need to buy a special tool to put it on my TT properly?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    1. If I can get an 11 speed 11-32 or 11-28 will this work fine for me?
    Should be fine
    2. Do I need to buy a special tool to put it on my TT properly?
    You need the same tool as you would for putting it on your wheel, I presume the Elite has the same and just uses a shimano cassette lockring tool, so you would need this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

my wife cycled home the 15km from the yard where she has her horse today (there's an explicit allowance for travel for animal care purposes) for the first time in probably 6 months, partly due to the good weather. and she is not keen to repeat the experience. having a truck driver sit behind her for at least 30s without overtaking - along the runway, when the road ahead was clear for probably a kilometre; being catcalled by a car full of young lads, who pulled into the bus lane to do it; and being stared at in what i'll call an 'unwelcoming' manner by a chap who stood in the cycle lane and made her cycle round him, are not exactly fun to experience.

she was saying she set off and realised she'd forgotten to tuck her hair in under her jacket; she has long hair which she prefers to hide because it makes it much easier to spot that she's a woman. what a ****ing thing to have to consider to just be able to go out and cycle your bike.

Herself had to report a male colleague who thought that locking his 200 euro pos full sus bicycle shaped object to her 2k road bike made it more secure. She had to go to his office to ask him to to unlock it despite telling him not to do that on several occasions :rolleyes:

I know what I wanted to do with bolt cutters. Fortunately her work didn't suffer the fool gladly.

So I never wanted to be one of those parents who pushes their kids into things. I would be supportive but if its not their cup of tea, leave it. Cycling was not my sons cup of tea, he refused cycling without stabilisers (due ot fear instilled by others), didn't take to it and I left it. Anyway, 3 weeks ago on a class zoom call, one of the other kids announced in their news that they were learning to ride a bike today. After the call I was called to get the bike, without stabilisers out of the shed. After a brief discussion and explaining that maybe if we took off the pedals he might learn to balance first. After careful consideration, it was agreed. He was balancing within the hour. We then moved onto turning and progressively longer stretches with the feet of the ground. By the end of the week he was nipping round like a pro. Pedals went on next, took a few go's but pedaling and balancing within a few minutes. this week we started on gear changes and skids.

I know i said I would not be a pushy parent but part of me was looking at his cadence and thinking, there is a track rider in there, but I must hold back from being pushy.

someone once said to me that each man excels at whatever his father was mediocre at, which sounds truthy. a way of beating your dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

someone once said to me that each man excels at whatever his father was mediocre at, which sounds truthy. a way of beating your dad.

If that's the case, there'll be so many things for my sons to excel at...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

CramCycle wrote: »
    After a brief discussion and explaining that maybe if we took off the pedals he might learn to balance first. After careful consideration, it was agreed. He was balancing within the hour.

How I wish I had tried this tack with my youngest daughter - she tooks months to get going on a bike and the only person frustrated was myself. Kept hitting the brakes any time she had momentum. Happily a distant memory now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

7k GBP (about €8.7k)!

(plus postage)

Advertisement