Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i enjoyed Kirby's book on audio also. I don't think he is as bad as people make out - i like him and his random waffling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks. Any other good cycling audio books to recommend?
    I listened to Faster
    These could be good-
    Obsessive-Compulsive-Cycling-Disorder

Pro cycling on $10 a day

Gerraint Thomas has two easy books called The World of Cycling according to G and The Tour de France According to G, which I enjoyed. I just finished The Mountains According to G, which I didn't think was great. I've gone through others, which I largely don't remember, the only one that stands out is The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. There's one on my wish list that has potential called 3 weeks, 6 seconds, or something like that which is about the '89 TdF. I've read Fignon's autobiography, which I loved, so I'm looking forward to listening to that book.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gerraint Thomas has two easy books called The World of Cycling according to G and The Tour de France According to G, which I enjoyed. I just finished The Mountains According to G, which I didn't think was great. I've gone through others, which I largely don't remember, the only one that stands out is The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. There's one on my wish list that has potential called 3 weeks, 6 seconds, or something like that which is about the '89 TdF. I've read Fignon's autobiography, which I loved, so I'm looking forward to listening to that book.

reading Hamiltons book at the moment, it's a real page-turner, but pretty depressing at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm guessing that there are no specific criteria or standards on how that money can be spent and a lot of it will go towards road resurfacing and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm guessing that there are no specific criteria or standards on how that money can be spent and a lot of it will go towards road resurfacing and the like.

Yeah, this has happened already, hasn't it? I'm living in hope though, perhaps naively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere here, but ronan mclaughlin lost his crown a few days ago:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a34274226/sean-gardner-sets-sub-seven-hour-everesting-record/

And he has taken it back again! 6:40

And he has taken it back again! 6:40

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/ronan-mc-laughlin-has-smashed-the-everesting-record-in-6-hours-40-minutes/

Had a tyre blow on him so could have been even faster!!!!
    “It happened on the descent as I was accelerating away from the top turnaround, while I was super-tucking,” he said. “For a second I thought I was a goner but I somehow held it up. The bike was like a bucking bull as I was fighting to get it slowed down. At one point I considered crashing myself into the ditch rather than risking hitting the tar. But ultimately I limped it down the remainder of the descent to the bottom turn where I had a spare bike sitting.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

umm..
    "We sent a video crew along for the attempt, keep an eye out for the film this week. "
    is this something that can be authorised?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Good news this week, my wife & I will both be vaccinated within a week of each other. Honestly I’m surprised we got called so early.

• Advertisement

umm..
    "We sent a video crew along for the attempt, keep an eye out for the film this week. "
    is this something that can be authorised?

Looking at the pictures you'd wonder if Donegal CC surfaced that road for the attempt too. Last time I was in Wicklow Donegal the roads weren't that smooth looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

dahat wrote: »
    Good news this week, my wife & I will both be vaccinated within a week of each other. Honestly I’m surprised we got called so early.

Teachers in Wicklow, by chance? Lol

I'm glad for others that are getting it, but I am in grouping 10 of 14, so wont be getting it until 2043 or so. The wife works in James hospital, got it already,.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Looking at the pictures you'd wonder if Donegal CC surfaced that road for the attempt too. Last time I was in Wicklow Donegal the roads weren't that smooth looking.
    It looks like there's a beautiful layer of tarmac on it. That's the southern side of the Gap of Mamore and normally has a chipped surface. I suspect he took the opportunity after seeing it resurfaced rather than Donegal CC doing it for him. (That road is way steeper than it looks on camera).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It looks like there's a beautiful layer of tarmac on it. That's the southern side of the Gap of Mamore and normally has a chipped surface. I suspect he took the opportunity after seeing it resurfaced rather than Donegal CC doing it for him. (That road is way steeper than it looks on camera).

was up there a couple of years ago and it was pretty good then , now to get Donegal cc to fix the other roads (my lanes destroyed after last winter) not sure about group riding with the state of the roads up here :rolleyes:

Does this class as an elite level event then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Teachers in Wicklow, by chance? Lol

I'm glad for others that are getting it, but I am in grouping 10 of 14, so wont be getting it until 2043 or so. The wife works in James hospital, got it already,.

I was in 7 originally but reassigned to 4 due to being medically at risk due to a few meds i'm on. As for my wife i'm not sure why, only that it is to protect me maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Open data competition for active travel from Smart Dublin€2k prize fund for the techy people:
    https://smartdublin.ie/the-dublin-region-open-data-active-travel-challenge-2021/

https://twitter.com/LimerickCycling/status/1376841579663593474

dahat wrote: »
    I was in 7 originally but reassigned to 4 due to being medically at risk due to a few meds i'm on. As for my wife i'm not sure why, only that it is to protect me maybe?

With the introduction of the age only qualifier introduced today - I end up in group 10 of 14 - feckin swizz. Apparently it now doesn't matter what you do for work, it only matters what age you are.

Neighbours got done today, delighted for them. Set of them coming up the road with ice cream cones on the way home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭cletus

How do you know what the groups are, or which one you're in?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

wheelo01 wrote: »
    With the introduction of the age only qualifier introduced today - I end up in group 10 of 14 - feckin swizz. Apparently it now doesn't matter what you do for work, it only matters what age you are.

The decision taken to move to age is probably the correct one. PITA for some industries who are genuinely at risk but Trade Unions for pretty much everybody was calling to be done first. If volumes come as they say they are going to then there won't be a major problem anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The decision taken to move to age is probably the correct one. PITA for some industries who are genuinely at risk but Trade Unions for pretty much everybody was calling to be done first. If volumes come as they say they are going to then there won't be a major problem anyway

it was going to get horrendously complicated figuring out the different bands and would have slowed down the rollout just as vaccine deliveries were ramping up.

However I have sympathy for the teachers unions' complaints - they're clearly at a higher risk given the number of kids they're going to be in contact with every day, in often badly-ventilated buildings; and are an easily identifiable and reachable large group of workers.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it was going to get horrendously complicated figuring out the different bands and would have slowed down the rollout just as vaccine deliveries were ramping up.

However I have sympathy for the teachers unions' complaints - they're clearly at a higher risk given the number of kids they're going to be in contact with every day, in often badly-ventilated buildings; and are an easily identifiable and reachable large group of workers.

I get it I really do, but the other side of it is this group is unlikely to be vaccinated before they are due to go on their summer break (2nd dose + 2 weeks for effectiveness)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The change of groups will might make that stupidly inaccurate online vaccine calculator more accurate :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Aw man I hope not - my vaccination date is in 2023 on that online calculator thingy! :(

Tried that calculator there and I think I'm up anytime from April 21st :cool:

eeeee wrote: »
    Aw man I hope not - my vaccination date is in 2023 on that online calculator thingy! :(

I havent done it, please tell me you're 12 or something

Bus drivers were in group 10 of 14 anyway, but I think the chances are, the 9 above me would have been smaller groups.

I have no faith in the huge rollout of vaccines promised, I'm just glad I have city boundaries from Monday week, it might just keep me sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think, I'll be due my vaccine, when I hit 70, towards the end of May.
    A year ago I didn't think I'd be looking forward so much to the day.

Advertisement