Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think, I'll be due my vaccine, when I hit 70, towards the end of May.
    A year ago I didn't think I'd be looking forward so much to the day.

I am super excited about mine which I didn't think I would be, it's just dragged on a bit and now I am just looking forward to it. not sure what calculator people are using to estimate date, did I miss something. I am in group 9 under the new HSE groups so should be done before the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am super excited about mine which I didn't think I would be, it's just dragged on a bit and now I am just looking forward to it. not sure what calculator people are using to estimate date, did I miss something. I am in group 9 under the new HSE groups so should be done before the new year.

Seriously! that long?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seriously! that long?

I was being facetious but I ma in the healthy 16 to 64 group so who knows, back of the line anyway. For the first time in along time being healthy is coming back to bite me in the ass.

I think, I'll be due my vaccine, when I hit 70, towards the end of May.
    A year ago I didn't think I'd be looking forward so much to the day.

I reckon you'll be jabbed in the next few weeks, they have the centre up and running over in DIFE now. Neighbours were done yesterday and I'd some family in the 60-70 bracket done this week too though they would be in the carer and cared for category, but they reckon they are getting through about 300 a day there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I havent done it, please tell me you're 12 or something

13 next year :D

Ah no I'm in the healthy 16-64 category. I don't work on the frontline or with vulnerable people etc.

I would take any of them in the eyeball at this stage to get some sort of life back :(

• Advertisement

I reckon you'll be jabbed in the next few weeks, they have the centre up and running over in DIFE now. Neighbours were done yesterday and I'd some family in the 60-70 bracket done this week too though they would be in the carer and cared for category, but they reckon they are getting through about 300 a day there.

I hope you're right, but I can't see the 65-69 age group being started in next few weeks.
    My first wife is taking her brother for his first vaccine to DIFE tomorrow. I hear, they have a great set-up over there.

I meant to ask the neighbours if there was biscuits and fanta like when you give blood :D

My own partner has had her second one about 3 weeks - a month ago and it's a massive relief to her given her work with elderly and fear she's had bringing it home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my MIL got it, no side effects, but a friend's dad had repeated bouts of vertigo for a few days after his.

i wonder are the latest concerns over the AZ vaccine going to have an impact here; i've seen a few people speculating that the issue may be related to the contraceptive pill.

As far as my 93 year granny is concerned it should carry a warning
    may induce increased vigour and stick waving
    if the skype we had with her las week is anything to go by :D

I just hope, I'll be able to play the piano after I get mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

my MIL got it, no side effects, but a friend's dad had repeated bouts of vertigo for a few days after his.

i wonder are the latest concerns over the AZ vaccine going to have an impact here; i've seen a few people speculating that the issue may be related to the contraceptive pill.
    Is your friends dad on the contraceptive pill?

I just hope, I'll be able to play the piano after I get mine.
    Are you able to play it now?

Are you able to play it now?

NO.
    I couldn't carry a note in a bucket.
    But, I've always thought, it'd be a nice thing to be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was being facetious but I ma in the healthy 16 to 64 group so who knows, back of the line anyway. For the first time in along time being healthy is coming back to bite me in the ass.
    You'll be done by September. You're around the same age as me IIRC so we'll have our first dose by the end of July at the very latest.

The first time I've been glad to be lumped into an age bracket with people older than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

daragh_ wrote: »

Hmmm

The narrator complains about heavy u-locks but if the bike doesn't weigh a ton from being made of the same material how could you trust it.
    Also hearing an American quote European stats instantly makes me think they are BS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i saw that i first assumed it was an april fools attempt, but then spotted the date on the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so if someone tries to use the bike to lever it off the stand, even if they don't succeed now you need a new frame rather than just a new lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My MIL, 93, has had Covid and now also the vaccine. She reckoned if she'd a glass of scotch after the injection to wash it down so to speak, she'd be grand. And so she was.

smacl wrote: »
    My MIL, 93, has had Covid and now also the vaccine. She reckoned if she'd a glass of scotch after the injection to wash it down so to speak, she'd be grand. And so she was.

My MIL, also 93, got her second dose of the vaccine a couple of weeks ago.
    Unfortunately, it has hasn't quietened her down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

my MIL got it, no side effects, but a friend's dad had repeated bouts of vertigo for a few days after his...
    I had 3 or 4 days of side effects. Nothing for about 12 hours then began shivering when I went to bed. I shivered for the rest of the night. Couldn't get warm regardless of what I wore or what I added to the bed. Spent the next day sweating - couldn't cool down. The following day it was nausea and diahorrea. During the 3 days I had zero energy and my arm was 'dead' - felt like it belonged to someone else.

(There were times when I wondered if I'd be better off with C19).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The narrator complains about heavy u-locks but if the bike doesn't weigh a ton from being made of the same material how could you trust it.
    Also hearing an American quote European stats instantly makes me think they are BS

I saw it covered on The Best Bike Lock blog a while ago.
    https://thebestbikelock.com/bikes/theft-proof-bike/
    It does look more trouble than using an actual lock, and his second point here is a pretty big minus on top of your bike being rendered useless if someone tries to steal it:
    It’s a pretty clever idea. But not without drawbacks. The most obvious is that some thieves could cause a great deal of damage to the bike while trying to steal it, even if they’re ultimately unsuccessful. When this happens with a regular bike lock, you only need to replace the lock. When it happens with a Yerka you may have to replace the bike.

Also, while the 7″ (17 cm) of horizontal space inside the locked frame will theoretically give you loads of options when you’re looking for somewhere to secure your bike, I suspect it may be difficult to lock your bike in busy racks where there is already another bike on the other side.

Does strike me that putting security skewers/hexlox/pitlock pitstoppers on the vulnerable bits of a standard bike and carrying one diamond-rated lock would be overall less trouble.

I had 3 or 4 days of side effects.
    they do say that the healthier you are, the more likely the side effects will be pronounced. so put it down to all that cycling you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I had 3 or 4 days of side effects. Nothing for about 12 hours then began shivering when I went to bed. I shivered for the rest of the night. Couldn't get warm regardless of what I wore or what I added to the bed. Spent the next day sweating - couldn't cool down. The following day it was nausea and diahorrea. During the 3 days I had zero energy and my arm was 'dead' - felt like it belonged to someone else.

This i don’t want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

dahat wrote: »
    This i don’t want.

There is currently 3 vaccines being administered, soon to be 4.

The worst symptoms seem to be reported with the AZ jab. From flaky memory it's more of a traditional type of vaccine compared to the other two.

The over 80's were given a Pfizer vaccine. Any people I knew including my mother had close to no symptoms from it.

Lots of cycling or any exercise doesn't equate to better health outcomes than quite modest regular exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you studied the "central dogma [sic] of molecular biology" in school or university, it's quite interesting to find mRNA moving from jargon to everyday speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The worst symptoms seem to be reported with the AZ jab. From flaky memory it's more of a traditional type of vaccine compared to the other two.

The over 80's were given a Pfizer vaccine. Any people I knew including my mother had close to no symptoms from it.

Lots of cycling or any exercise doesn't equate to better health outcomes than quite modest regular exercise.

I got Pfizer and had no problems after either dose. I did take a precautionary paracetamol the night I got the second though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

AZ I was administered so well it’s pot luck in regard to side effects for a relatively short period. We will know in a few short hours anyway.

Advertisement