Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you're braking, is it better or worse for rim wear to brake hard for short intervals, or lightly for long intervals?
    i guess the relationships between length of braking time, pressure on brakes, and wear on rims are probably not all linear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭cletus

when you're braking, is it better or worse for rim wear to brake hard for short intervals, or lightly for long intervals?
    i guess the relationships between length of braking time, pressure on brakes, and wear on rims are probably not all linear.

Given the forces involved, I'd say any difference is negligible

Edit: unless you spend ages cycling around with your brakes lightly pulled. Kinda like people who drive around with their foot resting on the clutch pedal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

umm..
    "We sent a video crew along for the attempt, keep an eye out for the film this week. "
    is this something that can be authorised?

Description of the bike

Everesting attempt

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I had 3 or 4 days of side effects. Nothing for about 12 hours then began shivering when I went to bed. I shivered for the rest of the night. Couldn't get warm regardless of what I wore or what I added to the bed. Spent the next day sweating - couldn't cool down. The following day it was nausea and diahorrea. During the 3 days I had zero energy and my arm was 'dead' - felt like it belonged to someone else.

(There were times when I wondered if I'd be better off with C19).

That few days off the bike will be a blow to your your l target of 183,500km this year :D

Glad you are feeling better. Having had covid, I don’t think you would really want it as it sounds like you might get a bad case. :)

My brother in law got his first dose and he had a fever for 12 hours. The side effects do seem to hit as randomly as covid symptoms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Everesting attempt
    Do they address how they did this during lockdown? I.e. I find it hard to believe everyone lived within 5km of the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do they address how they did this during lockdown? I.e. I find it hard to believe everyone lived within 5km of the gap.

Probably done under the same rules that allow RTE to head out and film stuff or my neighbour who works as a cameraman on movies and have been back for the last 8 months. Not sure of the rules but presuming RTE are creating content and are the national broadcaster, I presume it is covered.

i am assuming/hoping so - but i thought it'd be a sensible idea for them to address it up front, i've seen plenty of videos made with disclaimers such as 'all regulations/guidelines adhered to, permission sought and received' etc. displayed at the start of the video.

in the interview with phil gaimon, he also mentioned calling on a bunch of friends and supporters to be there on the day. i'm sure they were sensible, but they are leaving themselves open to accusations of having misbehaved if they don't address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    AZ I was administered so well it’s pot luck in regard to side effects for a relatively short period. We will know in a few short hours anyway.

Very minor sniffle is all i've felt, just nearly 24hrs passed so hopefully thats it. My HRV was elevated this morning but that would be expected i'd imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just guessing, but I'd suspect lightly for long intervals will be more wear but more evenly spread. If the rims and pads are clean and well aligned, you should be getting minimal wear either way. Say you had some crud on the pads giving a level of abrasiveness, the longer they're in contact with the rims at enough pressure to cause you to slow down, the greater the wear. Off road and rim brakes are very bad for this, hence disc brakes being a big advantage. What I've noticed in the past is pad wear being non-uniform when the pad isn't 100% aligned. This gets more pronounced over time leading to uneven wear on the rim and reduced braking. Checking pads and rims and clean and well aligned is possibly more important than braking style. I try to stay off the brakes outside of cornering where possible but on the steeper stuff like Kilmashogue, or where there are biggish cross winds, tend to wimp out and be hanging on to the brakes all the way down. Stocking lane descent has been that busy with cars and walkers over the last few months that a fair whack of time is also spent on the brakes.

Yeah, my assumption was that abrasion (if there's crud caught in the pads) is worse for long light braking; because abrasion can happen even when the brakes are pulled just enough for the pads to contact but provide very little braking. I know from working with wood that higher pressure with sandpaper does not necessarily lead to significantly faster results.

• Advertisement

Do cyclists have a kinda folk name for a wind that's definitely there when you're pushing into it but seems to vanish when you turn your back to it? Seemed that way today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭cletus

Do cyclists have a kinda folk name for a wind that's definitely there when you're pushing into it but seems to vanish when you turn your back to it? Seemed that way today.

I believe it's called a "Nenagh Wind"

*Note* this may be just what I call it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'd normally be quite conscious of wind direction. I did an hour and a half this afternoon and I have absolutely no idea what direction the wind was blowing. I did one section of road twice, first time wind seemed to be from left, second time round the wind was from my right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this query might be cycling related i don't know....but for the past week i've been getting itchy hives on my right leg and none on my left leg:confused:

could there be a flea in my cycle leggings? or trousers?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'd normally be quite conscious of wind direction. I did an hour and a half this afternoon and I have absolutely no idea what direction the wind was blowing. I did one section of road twice, first time wind seemed to be from left, second time round the wind was from my right.
    was a ENE wind for me. i was doing mainly east-west and west-east, strava is reporting 10km/h. i'd have guessed 15 based on what i could see, but my usual loops are fairly exposed to the wind.

fryup wrote: »
    this query might be cycling related i don't know....but for the past week i've been getting itchy hives on my right leg and none on my left leg:confused:

could there be a flea in my cycle leggings? or trousers?

Change of washing powder or eat or drink anything you don't normally have, or indeed a flea, an insect bit will do it. The list could go on , by their nature hives are a minor allergic reaction to something in your life.

Could even be something as silly as pet hair stuck to your shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I've had severe itching just behind the knees, it only happens when i wear bib shorts, its the elasticine (spelling ?) on the back of the edge of the shorts that causes it with me. Hadn't had it all winter, wore shorts last weekend and Tuesday and bingo... itch behind my knees was back. Googled it before and it seems I'm not alone....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Eamonnator wrote: »

It's not uncommon for wind direction to be variable. It's more common with lighter winds than strong winds.

As an example, the wind recorded at Dublin Airport at 1230 today was 09006KT 060V150 - translated as coming mostly from 90 degrees (East) at 6 knots (11km/h) but variable between 60 degrees and 150 degrees. So depending on your route/heading and when the wind decides to vary between those 90 degrees, you may sometimes get the impression that the wind is out to get you!

At Baldonnel at 1200 the variance was between 10 degrees and 120 degrees at a slightly stronger 8 knots (15km/h).

i had that the other day at the airport, the wind was all over the place.

i think every cyclist who lives on a busy road should erect a windsock in their front garden as a service to other cyclists.

• Advertisement

Actually non cycling medical complaint of my own. The girls broke my office/work from home chair. I've no idea what they were at, swinging and spinning in it anyway it's shagged and the youngest has a fair welt on her forehead.

I had a spare in the attic I took out until a replacement can be sourced. This was a cheap as chips office/desk chair from argos that should have gone in a skip and not kept. The seat cushion was worn to the point I was sitting on a plank. So yeah my arse feels like I've done 50km without padded shorts. My partner arrived home yesterday and asked if I was going for a spin when she passed me sat at the desk :D
    I put my bibs on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

i had that the other day at the airport, the wind was all over the place.

i think every cyclist who lives on a busy road should erect a windsock in their front garden as a service to other cyclists.

Flags are usually a good source. Although the other day, passing the Custom House, the Irish flag was blowing like it was an Easterly wind while at the same time the EU flag only 10ish metres away was fluttering in what appeared to be a Northerly wind :confused: I assume it's something to do with the design of the domed part where the flags are positioned.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3482865,-6.2531859,3a,75y,358.65h,131.19t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQhKPBJeX_Ah-kNDd19pFSw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DQhKPBJeX_Ah-kNDd19pFSw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D213.77458%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

st. fintans (the high school just east of sutton cross - not the national school at the start of the TT climb) don't leave their flag up near often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had to drive on the M50 today. It needs average speed cameras, the driving was a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Stumbled across a lovely Donda jersey today, never even heard of them before. Pity that postage from the UK to Ireland is........£14.50!!! What are they playing at with that kind of price?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That would just annoy me and I'd not pay it out of spite. I guess it's down to the extra admin required - yet another Brexit win :rolleyes:

theie online shop is quoting you the price inclusive of UK VAT and probably not set up to take that off to apply the irish rate - paying VAT on £60 at irish rates would be just short of £14, which would explain the shipping cost possibly?
    maybe just drop them an email to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I hate that kind of off the wall shipping charges, like Seth that would annoy me to spite and I wouldn't buy it. I don't get the jersey I like but they don't rip me off. Now I did want a few bits and pieces and bibs off Vermarc and it was a 15E shipping cost, via UPS and arrived next working day. Its a flat rate once you go outside Belgium, but the day before I bought it, the bibs were discounted by 30Euro, so didn't feel so ripped off.

'pram crash'
    there's a whole string of examples below it.

https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/1354044082205679618

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is the worst one

https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/1354047903778693121

I mean how inconsiderate, to drive a van into a pram, almost rude...

Advertisement