Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there a shortage of groupsets from campagnolo at the moment? some of the usual online suspects don't seem to have anything but the top end stuff in stock.
    was looking at a possible alternative to ultegra, possibly an alternative to ultegra 6800, but the likes of evans, CRC and wiggle don't have anything below a grand in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks guys. I took a lieu day today because I knew something was coming. They're frequent enough the last few weeks but today was a biggie. Resting heart rate is triple figures today when it's normally 55/60. I've a lot going on and probably not dealing with it as well as I could. I've been with GP and counsellor though but I haven't been able to talk to friends or family about things.

I'd give the same priority to treating mental health as I would a heart attack or any other ailment. Long term if you want to increase your risk of nearly every chronic disease then ignore your mental health.

While going to a GP and counsellor is great, be sure to challenge them; have you a diagnosis? What's the treatment plan? (I don't want to know but ask). A nice woman sitting in the corner might lance the boil for now, but you need to learn why you are getting there and learn techniques to prevent it happening in future. CBT can work really well with some disorders, again ask your medics.

Your body is screaming at you to stop and slow down; listen to it. While you are waiting for care do a few things to help
    *improve your sleep; google sleep hygiene and there is a lot you can do to improve that

* get you body properly calm everyday; meditation, mindfulness, a slow walk by beach whatever works. The world is hectic place we put a weird value on being busy/flat out and not enough on being calm and slowing down.

Psychologists put ratings on extreme life events. IMHO it's really good idea to make yourself as robust as possible before the stuff on list below ever happens.
    Death of a spouse (or child*): 100
    Divorce: 73
    Marital separation: 65
    Imprisonment: 63
    Death of a close family member: 63
    Personal injury or illness: 53
    Marriage: 50
    Dismissal from work: 47
    Marital reconciliation: 45
    Retirement: 45

Maybe but LEJOG in the maybe box. As my brother said to me when I made a boll1x of a 300 in May; "sur the roads won't be going anywhere"

On a humour side note ye are not hard to spot; OCD on bike cleanliness is big huge red flag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Could be worse. You could be a woman.

Mrs RS just had a couple of hours of an acquaintance on Facebook threatening to write to her job to get her fired for posting a meme about male insecurity.

Kept my powder dry as she's well able to stand up for herself.

Did chime in at the end though to mention that everything including the email to her employer will be sent to his employer with a query on their harassment policies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody hell. obviously the male acquaintance has a finely tuned sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Could anyone recommend a base in Mallorca for a combined family & cycling trip? We are going to combine both for next year's holiday.
    A beach within walking distance is a requirement for the Mrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a base in Mallorca for a combined family & cycling trip? We are going to combine both for next year's holiday.

What kind of cycling do you want to do?

Most cyclists go to the Pollenca area in north as it gives easy access to mountains which run the full west coast. There isn't a lot of beach on west coast due to said mountains.

Away from west coast, it's a undulating countryside and very different cycling. I've been 3 times and I think you'd enjoy either. The cami roads are like the minor roads in your own area; and I mean minor!

Palma is great but probably not for a family holiday, but there is any amount of beaches east and west of it. I've also stayed in Porto Colom in SE.

https://www.huerzeler.com/en/radsportstationen#regionlist_1

This crowd have a huge stock and have a lot of bases, there is loads of other companies to.

Top tip when combining a holiday like that is get up really early, avoid heat fasted spin and home for breakfast. Also if renting from Tuesday to Friday for example collect in Monday evening and have bike set up and ready to go in am

I was there in May 16 and August 14. Give me a shout if you want cami routes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

One of the lads did something similar and stayed in Alcudia.
    He was saying: there's some nice gentle routes on that side of the island but on the other side are the hills like Sa Calobra.

If you don't fancy cycling long routes over and back to the hills you could use a service like this:

https://www.mallorcacycleshuttle.co.uk/

I must plan something similar myself!!

As regards the type of cycling I'm just after a few days on the bike over a 10 day holiday period, I think it's Mrs way of getting me away on hols each year.

Mallorca seems ideal for the bike but going on the above post it seems that it may not be ideal for a beach loving wife & 12 Yr old daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Port de Pollensa has a pretty big beach. Nice restaurants around too and no real mad night life so a bit quieter than some of the other areas, plenty of bike rental places. Stayed there on a holiday with my wife late last year and had a few spins on a bike too, route out to the lighthouse is a handy short one that you can get done early. Not too far from a longer route out to Port De Soler either, we are looking at going back and doing some more cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Port de Pollensa has a pretty big beach. Nice restaurants around too and no real mad night life so a bit quieter than some of the other areas, plenty of bike rental places. Stayed there on a holiday with my wife late last year and had a few spins on a bike too, route out to the lighthouse is a handy short one that you can get done early. Not too far from a longer route out to Port De Soler either, we are looking at going back and doing some more cycling.

I've seen Port de Pollensa on a few Google searches alright, wife is a non cyclist so I'll look more into that area. We aren't after mad nights out so it sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Quite genius trolling, it falls apart in the next few tweets as he overreachs but the number of people who respond to his follow on tweets as if they could possibly be considered serious is shocking.

Following on from my Mallorca query we have now been looking at Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote.

Opinions?

Booking a combo holiday is proving tricky, alot more than I bargained for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Following on from my Mallorca query we have now been looking at Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote.

Opinions?
    Lanzarote always seems to be very windy. Unless you enjoy cycling in wind, I'd go for Tenerife instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Lanzarote always seems to be very windy. Unless you enjoy cycling in wind, I'd go for Tenerife instead.

Tenerife always seems to be to very mountainy. Unless you enjoy only climbing or descending, I'd go for Gran Canaria instead:D

A thread of confusion!!!!

I may be a lard ass but I do like climbing albeit at a steady rate.

Currently assessing options in Tenerife...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

When are you thinking? I can recommend Cascais in Portugal. Beach in the center of the town pretty much and another a short bus trip away. The cycle up to Sintra however is otherworldly. Could be 30 degrees and sunny and a fog descends.

There are a few routes up, some on nice main roads, some on narrower windy forest paths.

Cascais is full of good places to eat too and not far from Lisbon

Weepsie wrote: »
    When are you thinking? I can recommend Cascais in Portugal. Beach in the center of the town pretty much and another a short bus trip away. The cycle up to Sintra however is otherworldly. Could be 30 degrees and sunny and a fog descends.

There are a few routes up, some on nice main roads, some on narrower windy forest paths.

Cascais is full of good places to eat too and not far from Lisbon

It's going to be 1st week in July unfortunately as we have commitments for June that can't be changed, not ideal for cycling but it's what I have to work with.
    I'm just back from Praia da Rocha, loved Portugal tbh but as injured there was no cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Did a 15second on, 30 second off bike test in a lab today.

Got max power output of 1002 watts.

Anybody know if I should be proud of that ? Or more likely worried about my lack of fitness!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Opinions?

Booking a combo holiday is proving tricky, alot more than I bargained for.

i was in puerto del carmen, didn't do beach as prefer poolside, cyclings nice as you climb out of town via a few different routes then once you climb you reach a plateau and i found some nice routes, most roads are fine odd one is bit too busy, tenerife riding is go up tiede and back

Anybody know if I should be proud of that ? Or more likely worried about my lack of fitness!?

Watts per kg is your go to figure really, I've maxed out at near 1200 watts a few times but too heavy for it to be any use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You sound like some chancer with those numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

89kg so probs too heavy to make use of it either.

I don't do any cycling at all so over 1000 sounded good.

Lecturer told me it was pretty good too.

It was a fatigue test tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Got some debris caught in my drivetrain today...

MHlS02F.jpg

NB not actually my drivetrain

there's an app for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

• Advertisement

is that some sort of autonomous truck? it drove up to the cyclist, who loaded his bike on, and climbed into the passenger seat with no sign of another human.

Advertisement