Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

i did it nine times on wednesday, that's enough effort for me. though i'll be out again tomorrow and sunday though so i'll definitely give it at least one pop.

I hope the other guy doesn’t give it 2 goes at the weekend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Somebody in where I live has made small KOM segments, obviously trying to get a few KOMs, all they've done is given me a couple :pac:

Finally living in a predominantly mature area is paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would say they are mostly owned by commuters. Although interesting to see what lunatics have decided to go up some of the tougher climbs 20-30 times over the last while.
    This. The few that I have/had are from commuting.
    i did it nine times on wednesday, that's enough effort for me....
    Did you pass the start and end point of the segment for each repeat? (Some segments are sloppily created - those where they unnecessarily turn for a few metres into another road at the top of a climb).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did - strava has recorded twelve for yer man, and for me. i suspect you only take the 'crown' when you surpass the existing holder, not when you equal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

This. The few that I have/had are from commuting.

Did you pass the start and end point of the segment for each repeat? (Some segments are sloppily created - those where they unnecessarily turn for a few metres into another road at the top of a climb).

Sometimes done by the segment creator deliberately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

New bike this week and getting ready for a long spin tomorrow so added the saddle bag as normal. A nessecary item but god awful looking on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say that postman would have earned a fair few local legends on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

crosstownk wrote: »

We've a different postie every week since our usual lad retired

• Advertisement

Not sure why the film is titled 'The Last of the Cycling Postmen' when many postmen and women still deliver post by bicycle (although I suppose mainly in urban areas these days).

dahat wrote: »
    New bike this week and getting ready for a long spin tomorrow so added the saddle bag as normal. A nessecary item but god awful looking on the bike.

Ohhh what did you get?????

I carry my stuff in the seat tube bottle unless I'm going to need 2 bottles of fluids and that really isn't until June really. That said I'd not be doing huge distances though these days so only out for 2 hours tops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crosstownk wrote: »
    i stayed in goleen many years ago, in the heron's cove B&B, and had a breakfast of champions. have never had a breakfast like it before or since; i'd have been able to cycle halfway to the moon on it. maybe that was what was fuelling that postman.

(between hopping and trotting, i ended up staying in a B&B i knew nothing about, and it was only the morning after i arrived i realised i'd booked into a place which then had the reputation of being one of the best seafood restaurants in west cork. i had buttered cod that evening which was just *chef's kiss*)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i stayed in goleen many years ago, in the heron's cove B&B, and had a breakfast of champions. have never had a breakfast like it before or since; i'd have been able to cycle halfway to the moon on it. maybe that was what was fuelling that postman.

(between hopping and trotting, i ended up staying in a B&B i knew nothing about, and it was only the morning after i arrived i realised i'd booked into a place which then had the reputation of being one of the best seafood restaurants in west cork. i had buttered cod that evening which was just *chef's kiss*)
    It's a marvellous restaurant (and close to a marvellous beach at Barleycove)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It seems a bit pointless. Create a segment of your favourite quiet road, and spin up and down it for a while and suddenly you are a local legend.

Most of mine that remain are on rather obscure off road routes at this point. I did briefly hold some of the Cruagh climbs which are probably among the busier climbs in the country, though with lockdown lifting I've no intention of chasing them.

i somehow missed this feature in strava - available to paid subscribers only.
    add certain hashtags to your ride names and it colour codes the map for you. e.g. #elevationmap or #temperaturemap

https://www.gravelstoke.com/gravel-cycling-gear-blog/how-to-get-a-temperature-map-on-strava-and-other-cool-statmaps

i somehow missed this feature in strava - available to paid subscribers only.
    add certain hashtags to your ride names and it colour codes the map for you. e.g. #elevationmap or #temperaturemap

https://www.gravelstoke.com/gravel-cycling-gear-blog/how-to-get-a-temperature-map-on-strava-and-other-cool-statmaps
    I joined the Wandrer 'new kilometeres' one recently but I'm disappointed that it only analyses the previous 50 rides (unless you pay an annual fee). I think I'll disable it again.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/528504/posts/6741184

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ohhh what did you get?????

I carry my stuff in the seat tube bottle unless I'm going to need 2 bottles of fluids and that really isn't until June really. That said I'd not be doing huge distances though these days so only out for 2 hours tops.

Merida Reacto 6000 - been out now 3/4 times & very pleased with it. I’m also getting on with the stock saddle which is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how much is my bike worth?

its a mens hybrid, 15 years old, 18 gears, new vee brakes front & back, new inner tubes, bottom bracket is fine, one pedal is loose and gears need to be re-indexed otherwise its A-ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭cletus

fryup wrote: »

its a mens hybrid, 15 years old, 18 gears, new vee brakes front & back, new inner tubes, bottom bracket is fine, one pedal is loose and gears need to be re-indexed otherwise its A-ok

If current prices are anything to go by, about six grand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

M****F*****, wheel trued and spoke replaced, lasted 3 days and went again and is now more out of true than it was before. Gonna head back in to get it fixed again but they are CX wheels so I would have thought more than capable of the N11 cycle track but maybe not. How many times should a spoke fail before I ask the shop to just replace the wheelset, the bike is only 4 months old and only 2 months of using the bike so far.

fryup wrote: »

€150 at best i suspect.

do cyclists have a name for curtain twitching at the rainfall radar? i was 50/50 about going out on the bike (possible clashing commitments) but the apparent approach of rain gave me pause; and now i'm checking the rainfall radar hoping it *does* rain to post-hoc justify me not having gone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

do cyclists have a name for curtain twitching at the rainfall radar? i was 50/50 about going out on the bike (possible clashing commitments) but the apparent approach of rain gave me pause; and now i'm checking the rainfall radar hoping it *does* rain to post-hoc justify me not having gone out.

The term is being a wuss. Embrace your inner Flandrien and just brave the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's like gaydar, but for rain. I call it "radar".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I just realised that shilly-shally must be from "Shall ye?" or something like that.

"Wheel-I-Whon't-I"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Off the bike 2 weeks now with back issues, probably another week too, so was hoping to get the text for the vaccine whilst off the bike. Got a text last night for Tuesday morning vaccine appointment, small mercies and all that, thumbs up.

€150 at best i suspect.
    You're being very generous. I'd have thought €30/40 at a push.

(I cycled my old MTB to the Swords recycling centre a few weeks ago to make room for another bike. It was in reasonable order but they whinged about taking it off my hands. The only reason I cycled it in was to show it was working fine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

We drove to supermarket today and my wife caught the conversation of the car occupants who were parked beside us and had just returned to their car as we came back.

They were giving out that she didn't leave the passenger enough room to get in, even though she - my wife - came in after them.

Our car? A little Hyundai Getz, parked in the centre of the space.

Their car? A ginormous range rover that barely fit in the space. They didn't seem to see the connection.

• Advertisement

i managed to pull the door of the bathroom closed onto my little toe earlier. it's not broken, nowhere near that sort of damage, but this better not affect my ability to cycle (walking is painful).

Advertisement