Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Actually, what's the bike parking like for the Aviva and Citywest? I think they're the two options for southside Dublin.

Aviva has a covered bike shelter thing just near where the line starts. Left mine there yesterday and it was grand. Lots of stewards and security around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Actually, what's the bike parking like for the Aviva and Citywest? I think they're the two options for southside Dublin.

Good sheffield stands with some rain protection in citywest up near the entrance to the centre. My bike was the only one there when I was there last week, so capacity appears to be ample!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got my jab at the Aviva yesterday. I did consider taking the bike but I was unsure about the security and took the car instead.

In hindsight, as stated above, there's security, staff and people queuing everywhere so I'd say the bike would be quite safe.

Bike parking right where you start queuing > https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3347719,-6.2267178,3a,75y,20.3h,80.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sidQ28BKksSYvjjjTeTjR6A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I brought my bike to St. James and to the nearby barracks for the follow up jab, bike racks outside both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thank you everyone for sharing your vaccination updates. You are making me feel very young! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    I brought my bike to St. James and to the nearby barracks for the follow up jab, bike racks outside both.

My bike is steel, don't think theyll be able to give it a jab

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hayes' bike shop in Wexford Town is closing it's doors for the last time this Saturday, as the owners are taking their well earned retirement.

Great shop, bought my "good" bike there a few years ago. Des was a fantastic mechanic, extremely honest and decent man. Will greatly miss the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Are there any shops in Dublin that would typically have tandem brake and gear cables in stock?

It's for the bakfiets. Standard cables seem either just too short or way too short.

(I could order them online, but I'd like to have them this weekend, and I'm still trying to favour local shops over online retailers.)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Have you tried https://dutchbikeshop.ie/

Zen0 wrote: »
    Yeah, I got a tandem gear cable there before, but they're only online now, so I won't be able to get the cable that quickly. Also, they only sold outers and inners together at that time, and I only need the inner, but that's a minor consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are there any shops in Dublin that would typically have tandem brake and gear cables in stock?

It's for the bakfiets. Standard cables seem either just too short or way too short.

(I could order them online, but I'd like to have them this weekend, and I'm still trying to favour local shops over online retailers.)

They have them in Bee Cycles. I asked what they were for a while ago!

Ah great! I'll text him and see if I can call in and get them.

I'll be buying tyres from the Dutch Bike Shop anyway. I like to give them custom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

quick question regarding pacing for short max efforts. I have a 1 min and 5 min power test coming up next week. How do people approach this?

All out sprint for the 1 min and try to hold as long as possible or ease into it at like 90% and empty the tank for the last 10-15 seconds?

Same question for the 5 min really although I know I need to pace this a lot more conservative really or I’ll blow way too early

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

quick question regarding pacing for short max efforts. I have a 1 min and 5 min power test coming up next week. How do people approach this?

All out sprint for the 1 min and try to hold as long as possible or ease into it at like 90% and empty the tank for the last 10-15 seconds?

Same question for the 5 min really although I know I need to pace this a lot more conservative really or I’ll blow way too early

I couldn't pace anything that short. Full gas
    (my gas is not very full!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

1 min - all out start for 30 secs then seated & hang on for dear life.

5 min - VO2 type effort, 105-120% effort, 90 plus rpm if ya can.

For both i'd do outdoors on a 4% dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Thanks! I might have to do it on the trainer because
    (1) it’s more repeatable? I think

(2) I don’t have a 5 min climb close to me. I could do it on the flat I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Up in the smoke for the weekend and stopped for a takeaway pint while out for a walk this evening. Fella pulled up on this bike, with this fettled ‘pannier’. Even has tea towel in the bottom to soak up any splashes on the way home. Thank God for civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Up in the smoke for the weekend and stopped for a takeaway pint while out for a walk this evening. Fella pulled up on this bike, with this fettled ‘pannier’. Even has tea towel in the bottom to soak up any splashes on the way home. Thank God for civilisation.

Elite bottle cages hold all wine bottles except Burgundy shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Elite bottle cages hold all wine bottles except Burgundy shape.

Not much good for a pint of plain though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the benefits of a penny farthing.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1398960232898994177

• Advertisement

Probably should regrease the small wheel after that though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking to a cyclist yesterday who nearly got hit in the face by a red kite a few months back, near oldtown. it had been down in the ditch, possibly feasting on some roadkill he reckons, and he obviously startled it on approach and it took off and he came within a metre of it. he said the fright nearly killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

i was talking to a cyclist yesterday who nearly got hit in the face by a red kite a few months back, near oldtown. it had been down in the ditch, possibly feasting on some roadkill he reckons, and he obviously startled it on approach and it took off and he came within a metre of it. he said the fright nearly killed him.

Same thing happened me with a hen pheasant on Saturday, scared the crap out of me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sunday week ago a small bird flew THROUGH my front wheel, I was tipping along too.
    I thought that was it for both of us :pac:

Thud wrote: »
    Same thing happened me with a hen pheasant on Saturday, scared the crap out of me
    a red kite is a beast of a bird. wingspan of over 5 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cheeky ask but would anybody in Dublin have a smart trainer I could borrow for a day? For a charity event in work, I've been let down with two that were coming. It's for a fundraising event in my job this Thursday and it's my bike that will be going on to it which means I'll be either on it or next to it the entire time.

It's a fundraiser for AWARE. Obviously it will be minded like a baby and if something was to happen I'd be responsible.

Thanks to the guys that helped here, all returned today and a few bob raised for AWARE.

I've been somewhat back in the saddle this week, where would one get EPO? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

a red kite is a beast of a bird. wingspan of over 5 foot.

I know but a pheasant is pretty big too when it takes off from the verge and flies at you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thud wrote: »

Pheasants are idiots. I swear they wait for a bike or car to pass to trundle across the road in their awkward manner.

Maybe they want the chickens' fame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is the woman at the Dart all over again. It will be gas crack and nothing will be done about it until a high profile accident almost gets someone killed

Advertisement