Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Weepsie wrote: »
    Pheasants are idiots.

Can't see that without thinking of this.......

554590.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't see that without thinking of this.......

554590.gif

That lad would have definitely been a cycling advocate. He was like a dark ages Renko

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭cletus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Pheasants are idiots. I swear they wait for a bike or car to pass to trundle across the road in their awkward manner.

Maybe they want the chickens' fame

They're tasty, though. So there is that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that reminds me, we've two in the freezer, but my wife is veggie now so we'll have to find someone to take them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

that reminds me, we've two in the freezer, but my wife is veggie now so we'll have to find someone to take them.

Interesting. I've only had it once, in Canada when I was 14. Shot and eaten the same day.

• Advertisement

Around the same age we were going to a school quiz down the country and we hit a pheasant, mini bus driver stopped, hopped out and put the carcass in the boot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Pheasants are so clumsy and slow when taking flight.

I hit one in the car in 2004. I remember the year because I was just after getting the car. It took flight from a hedge, and it was some wallop. Thankfully it hit the grill of the car and only it had to be replaced. I’d say they could cause some damage to other parts of the car. Unfortunately the pheasant lived and flew off. I was hoping for a nice dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I hit one in the car in 2004. I remember the year because I was just after getting the car. It took flight from a hedge, and it was some wallop. Thankfully it hit the grill of the car and only it had to be replaced. I’d say they could cause some damage to other parts of the car. Unfortunately the pheasant lived and flew off. I was hoping for a nice dinner.

I've never had grilled pheasant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Who knew there were so many pheasant pluckers on the cycling forum?

Who knew there were so many pheasant pluckers on the cycling forum?

Ok…I’ll post it. Nothing better to be doing :p

Say this as fast as you can: “I am not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son.
    I am only plucking pheasants 'till the pheasant plucker comes.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

My brother got one to the chest on his motorbike years ago. Arrived to a party at his friends covered in blood and poop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Peter T wrote: »
    My brother got one to the chest on his motorbike years ago. Arrived to a party at his friends covered in blood and poop

Pheasant breast? Better or worse than the leg?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Peter T wrote: »
    a guy in work caught a seagull in the face on a motorway on a motorbike about 20 years ago. shattered his visor. he still has no clue how he kept the bike upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I swear to jaysis, under severe pressure in work at the moment, all good just a lot of pressure. Got knocked off my motorbike last week, rear ended on red and out cycling today and had the (complete vanity purchase, ****ing tubs) good wheels on and got a flat.

If you hear of a mass murder around the City it was me :pac:

cycling; when you fancy a hobby where 10% extra effort results in 3% extra speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Left my fancy bike out last night, thankfully didn't get nicked. I usually have a double lock on it in the shed or in the bathroom. Anyway, all grand but I told my partner in passing and I got an absolute b*llicking for leaving it out. I thought it was a bit harsh, as they always complain about it inside. I was then informed that a friend informed them that my bike is worth more than our car and it is not to be locked, let alone left outside anymore, inside every night going forward. Thankfully the friend didn't clarify a specific price or it might be the bike inside and me outside for the night. A win win all round.

'out' is in the back garden?
    i've managed that multiple times in the side passage; not visible from the road though, you need to get through/over a sturdy enough gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CramCycle wrote: »
    Left my fancy bike out last night, thankfully didn't get nicked. I usually have a double lock on it in the shed or in the bathroom. Anyway, all grand but I told my partner in passing and I got an absolute b*llicking for leaving it out. I thought it was a bit harsh, as they always complain about it inside. I was then informed that a friend informed them that my bike is worth more than our car and it is not to be locked, let alone left outside anymore, inside every night going forward. Thankfully the friend didn't clarify a specific price or it might be the bike inside and me outside for the night. A win win all round.

You lock it up in your bathroom ?

Also maybe I have the spelling wrong but why would your partner reward you like that after doing something stupid :D

I have an entire room for the bikes because it's so utterly grim (the house needs work) that my wife doesn't like going into it. Bikes, and the a bemused cat when I go into do something.

• Advertisement

Speaking of cats and wife/partners we spent nearly 10 minutes this evening watching the neighbours cat trying to sun himself in the driveway getting heckled by a pair of magpies who frequent the tree outside our house. One would sit on the wall and the other would hop down near him and squawk at him then they'd switch. We only watched for 10 minutes because the fleabag got fed up of them and headed off under our car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mobbing. Magpies are expert at it. They've most likely chicks close by so are keeping the cat in check. It may even be that the magpies you saw are birds that didn't pair off this year but will actively get involved with their social group and help the nesting pairs that need protecting. Crows (magpies are part of the crow family) are real smart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

crosstownk wrote: »
    Mobbing. Magpies are expert at it. They've most likely chicks close by so are keeping the cat in check. It may even be that the magpies you saw are birds that didn't pair off this year but will actively get involved with their social group and help the nesting pairs that need protecting. Crows (magpies are part of the crow family) are real smart.

I never knew they did that.
    Interesting.

There's a folk tale that Irish people hate magpies because they arrived with Cromwell. I can't remember if there's evidence of when they did arrive, but I strongly suspect the dislike is in no small part to their intelligence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I unfortunately count myself in their number for their small bird nest robbing/lamb eye eating ways, and, embarrassingly, the whole luck thing which I know is ridiculous. They're beautiful birds, but big numbers are a problem in an area.
    I love their intelligence, the corvid intelligence. They're incredibly smart.

Our cat sits at the window looking at birds for ages. He's still not out, but I envisage carnage when he is allowed out and I don't really want that.

Unless he can take out some jackdaws it seagulls.

We have lots of nests in our garden, and 3 chicks have suffered due to magpies. I found 2 with the heads ripped off, eyeballs removed, and some of the innards pulled out. Then a heap of feathers yesterday suggest that they got a third and carried it off. Magpies are fantastic birds, but it’s not nice cleaning up after them. I’d prefer if they just ate insects and worms like the other birds in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Speaking of cats and wife/partners we spent nearly 10 minutes this evening watching the neighbours cat trying to sun himself in the driveway getting heckled by a pair of magpies who frequent the tree outside our house. One would sit on the wall and the other would hop down near him and squawk at him then they'd switch. We only watched for 10 minutes because the fleabag got fed up of them and headed off under our car :D

The magpies probably have a chick just fledged, hidden somewhere near where the cat was.

Magpies are blamed for a lot of bird kills, but cats kill far more fledglings. I love cats, but whenever we have a cat living with us it's kept strictly in overnight during nesting season, which gives the birds a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I swear to jaysis, under severe pressure in work at the moment, all good just a lot of pressure. Got knocked off my motorbike last week, rear ended on red and out cycling today and had the (complete vanity purchase, ****ing tubs) good wheels on and got a flat.

If you hear of a mass murder around the City it was me :pac:

LJ, be especially careful of yourself when this kind of thing starts happening. It's a sign of exhaustion and is dangerous. If you can take a couple of days of rest and quiet it would do no harm.

• Advertisement

we have at least one fledgling robin in the garden and i don't know how evolution has allowed them to be so noisy and conspicuous. i was doing some gardening the other day and the parents were queuing up for the leatherjackets i was tossing out to them.

Advertisement