Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Speaking of cats and wife/partners we spent nearly 10 minutes this evening watching the neighbours cat trying to sun himself in the driveway getting heckled by a pair of magpies who frequent the tree outside our house. One would sit on the wall and the other would hop down near him and squawk at him then they'd switch. We only watched for 10 minutes because the fleabag got fed up of them and headed off under our car :D

This is happening in my back garden daily. We've two cats and the adventurous one gets an earful from two Magpies anytime she ventures onto the back wall. She attempts to retreat with some dignity but they have her sussed.

They ignore the other cat as he's far too lazy to attempt anything as strenuous as scaling a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Rechuchote wrote: »
    LJ, be especially careful of yourself when this kind of thing starts happening. It's a sign of exhaustion and is dangerous. If you can take a couple of days of rest and quiet it would do no harm.

Ah I'm grand. My sector has just gone nuts the last few weeks. I get to go motorbike shopping this week so all good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

While on Facebook market place earlier I saw a Genesis Equilibrium 725 disc frame set €350 for sale in a medium.

It’s beyond my knowledge but given the popularity of these here I thought it might interest somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Crows are astonishingly smart. Check out these crows in Japan. Picture isn't great but Mr. Attenborough narrates.

If you want to learn more about corvids, search YouTube for John Marzluff. Very informative if you're only even half interested in ornithology.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

crosstownk wrote: »
    Crows are astonishingly smart. Check out these crows in Japan. Picture isn't great but Mr. Attenborough narrates.

They're also complete bastards.

I'd like to see Attenborough lovingly narrating the segment where they peck the eyes out of living animals then wait for them to die so they can feast on the carrion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I read the inline quote as referring to 'cows' for some reason, which made this statement a bit bizarre.
    Lumen wrote: »
    They're also complete bastards.

I'd like to see Attenborough lovingly narrating the segment where they peck the eyes out of living animals then wait for them to die so they can feast on the carrion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nature, red in tooth and claw, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buffalo wrote: »
    I read the inline quote as referring to 'cows' for some reason, which made this statement a bit bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

buffalo wrote: »

That might be to do with your bovine username.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Crows and Magpies make more sense when you keep in mind that they're actually tiny dinosaurs.

I'm reliably informed that chickens are in fact some of the most savage and brutal animals one could come across. Just like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don't get him started on the chickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

seamus wrote: »
    Crows and Magpies make more sense when you keep in mind that they're actually tiny dinosaurs.

I'm reliably informed that chickens are in fact some of the most savage and brutal animals one could come across. Just like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

Then there are those sweet little bunny rabbits you see. They sometimes eat the face and ears completely of romantic competitors if they can corner the.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking to one of the most weirdly pushy shop assistants in a bike shop near me earlier.
    he tried convincing me i didn't want the colour of bar tape i was asking for, and then when i was asking about a wax chain lube they were selling (it stated on the bottle that you've to completely strip the chain and reapply every 600km, and i thought the point of wax lube was that it was extra long lasting) and it turned into a 'well, we've established you've got poor chain hygiene already' and then did the 'only joking mate' when he saw the look on my face. or in my eyes.

it's a pity, the mechanics in that shop are usually dead sound but maybe the sales guys are under a lot of pressure to rack up the sales.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote: »
    The velociraptors in JP were way too big. They were slightly bigger than a chicken in the real world...
    Vraptor-scale.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Then there are those sweet little bunny rabbits you see. They sometimes eat the face and ears completely of romantic competitors if they can corner the.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

My velociraptor knowledge has exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eeeee wrote: »
    My velociraptor knowledge has exploded.

Clever girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭caadmium

The velociraptors in JP were way too big. They were slightly bigger than a chicken in the real world...
    Vraptor-scale.png

and clearly had no regard for social distancing rules

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Vraptor-scale.png

Wouldn't call them chickens to their face though would you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Crows are astonishingly smart.

They tried the scenario in the Aesop fable The Crow and the Pitcher (the crow manages to get a drink by dropping stones into the pitcher to displace the water upwards), and crows can actually figure it oiut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

One of the lads I work with did a nixer on the side this morning and was busted when his watch tracked his walking activity and auto-uploaded it to Strava - he is followed by a load of us including his line-manager and director....!!:eek::pac:

One of the lads I work with did a nixer on the side this morning and was busted when his watch tracked his walking activity and auto-uploaded it to Strava - he is followed by a load of us including his line-manager and director....!!:eek::pac:

A crow would never do something stupid like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I worked with a guy who had strava printouts presented to him in a disciplinary, he was a mountain biker so it's grand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Took a half day and went up around Rathcoole with a co worker last week in the middle of the day. If it was ever pulled on me in a disciplinary thing, I would pull up my Google where am I thing and show them all the unrecorded call outs that I never even tell them about. This thing of pulling someone up for flexitime if they are getting the job done is absolute sh1te. Some jobs need you there but alot don't and picking on a good worker who uses a bit of flexibility is the sign that you work for idiots.

my boss has occasionally been known to tell me to go out to make the most of the good weather, if i mention to him the sun is shining.

I worked with a guy who had strava printouts presented to him in a disciplinary, he was a mountain biker so it's grand

He should have been sacked just for the stupid baggy top and pants he wears never mind the crappy un-aero helmet

What if the entire continental US was on a decreasing slope from West to East. How steep would the slope have to be to sustain the momentum needed to ride a bicycle the entire distance without pedaling?
    https://what-if.xkcd.com/154/

• Advertisement

Scrambler aside is that how people negotiate a kissing gate with a bike?

I always walked the bike through them on the rear wheel with the front in the air :confused:

Advertisement