Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So this happened a year ago today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Weepsie wrote:
    When are you thinking? I can recommend Cascais in Portugal. Beach in the center of the town pretty much and another a short bus trip away. The cycle up to Sintra however is otherworldly. Could be 30 degrees and sunny and a fog descends.

Am currently on holiday here in Cascais with no bike. A full holiday of R and R was needed.
    Deffo plan on coming back with the bike in late Feb or March for a winter training week.
    A long coastal stretch or what looks lovely like some lovely roads up into Sierra de Sintra.
    Avg winter temperatures for Feb/March daytime don't seem to dip below 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

koutoubia wrote: »
    Am currently on holiday here in Cascais with no bike. A full holiday of R and R was needed.
    Deffo plan on coming back with the bike in late Feb or March for a winter training week.
    A long coastal stretch or what looks lovely like some lovely roads up into Sierra de Sintra.
    Avg winter temperatures for Feb/March daytime don't seem to dip below 10.

Gelateria Italiana FABIO LUPI

Av. Valbom 10A, 2750-508 Cascais, Portugal
    +351 21 483 9775 https://g.co/kgs/sAZUT9

Enjoy sorry about the extra kg or two

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    Am currently on holiday here in Cascais with no bike.

A holiday with no bike is just a trip ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't bother with Conceito Food Store. A load of arae. Tasty food, but not worth the hassle and you leave hungrier than you arrived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just want to say thanks for all the words this week to you guys n gals. I've taken a few giant leaps the last few days including taking some a couple of days out of work. The biggest issue is bottling things up and I'm working on that...

Just having a post spin pint, admiring my bike across the bar... might go and chat her up!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I just want to say thanks for all the words this week to you guys n gals. I've taken a few giant leaps the last few days including taking some a couple of days out of work. The biggest issue is bottling things up and I'm working on that...

Just having a post spin pint, admiring my bike across the bar... might go and chat her up!
    Her name is Scott (if I remember). #cryinggame

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he said giant leaps, he's obviously already abandoned the scott.

Anyone ever had wheels through DPD or parcel motel have an idea of cost? Comes well under their limit weight wise, but wheel box will be well above their dimensions I imagine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone ever had wheels through DPD or parcel motel have an idea of cost? Comes well under their limit weight wise, but wheel box will be well above their dimensions I imagine

You'll either have to collect from the depot or pay for delivery put. Parcel motel is buy dimensional weight, so it doesn't matter how light it is, you pay by size, so depends on the box size.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    You'll either have to collect from the depot or pay for delivery put. Parcel motel is buy dimensional weight, so it doesn't matter how light it is, you pay by size, so depends on the box size.

I realised that after I posted. There's a charge over 10kg too though.

Box would be about 30x30x12 I guess in inches so apparently 15 euro. I'm near their depot too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I realised that after I posted. There's a charge over 10kg too though.

Box would be about 30x30x12 I guess in inches so apparently 15 euro. I'm near their depot too

post office have their own form of this too, and you collect from your selected post office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

manafana wrote: »
    post office have their own form of this too, and you collect from your selected post office

Or a depot if it’s oversize which I divorce wheels would be. Picking it up from the depot costs €25.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The roads are greasy and horrible out, but the smell of the trees is amazing. There's a eucalyptus tree out near me and it smells amazing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I got a set of wheels not so long ago from the UK through Parcel Motel.
    Picked them up in their Finglas depot and I believe the charge was a tenner or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

nee wrote: »
    The roads are greasy and horrible out, but the smell of the trees is amazing. There's a eucalyptus tree out near me and it smells amazing right now.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-makes-rain-smell-so-good-13806085/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What does it smell like? Strawberries?

ford2600 wrote: »

Oh now that's really interesting. It's an actual thing!
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What does it smell like? Strawberries?

Mi...Lemon sherbet. Weirdest thing :P

Oh now that's really interesting. It's an actual thing!
    random shoehorning of a friend's music into the thread:

https://colinjmorris.bandcamp.com/album/petrichor

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a bike shop in South Dublin with a good selection of road cycling shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ronoc wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a bike shop in South Dublin with a good selection of road cycling shoes?

Cycle Superstore? (South/West Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"Don't get into shouting matches with motorists"
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Pedestrians-and-Cyclists/Cycling-safety/

Versus:
    "Drivers, keep your eyes on the road and your mouth shut"
    https://www.outsideonline.com/2326781/keep-your-eyes-road-and-your-mouth-shut

(I got the criticism-inside-a-compliment "thank you for stopping" from a pedestrian just last week.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tomasrojo wrote: »
    (I got the criticism-inside-a-compliment "thank you for stopping" from a pedestrian just last week.)

Is that the same as the car driver motioning you to cross when you have a green light and they're parked across the crossing?

Idleater wrote: »
    Is that the same as the car driver motioning you to cross when you have a green light and they're parked across the crossing?

In my case, I stopped for a red traffic light/green man. A pedestrian paused after crossing to say to me "wow, you stopped". I was a bit confused, so she elaborated: "Very few cyclists stop." I just said: "I always stop, don't worry about it", and hadn't thought about it again until I read that Eben Weiss article.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its funny how comments are passed when a cyclist stops but every evening I see pedestrians waiting on a green man as the last few cars roll through. Rare it even gets a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I love this post-La Course interview. <3

https://twitter.com/LaCoursebyTDF/status/1019175140968620033

• Advertisement

Fcuking brilliant

Advertisement