Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

nee wrote: »
    Fcuking brilliant

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The last 20km were a great advertisement for women's cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Even if you don't follow racing, this is worth a watch. Cecilie Ludwig's interview <3

It's hard not to smile watching Cecile Ludwig. Though her taste for avocado and chocolate on bread makes me want a bucket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

When do 2019 bikes start appearing in shops and 2018 ones get sold off. Someone said Sept but I'd have thought that's a bit early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I do love those stories, I am always inspired by the heart some of these folk show. A neighbour of mine smashed up her wheels in a crash and now she will be racing on my old Mavics in the Ras na mban, I've told her if she breaks them she breaks them and she can buy me a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

When do 2019 bikes start appearing in shops and 2018 ones get sold off. Someone said Sept but I'd have thought that's a bit early?

Should start seeing 2019 announcements very soon. Some have dropped some already but haven't released the full extent of the 2019 fleet as of yet. Would expect to see price drops in Sept/Oct alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All surgical wounds healed so just gotta wait another week before I can get back on the bike after a few weeks off it. I just hope that's the end of the injuries 2018 has thrown at me.

Well pleased and hopefully rain stays away now as I've missed all this good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Canyon seem to have some great discounts on 2018 bikes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm actually thinking of pulling the trigger on a Canyon Endurace SL Disc 8.0.

Trying to decide between Ultegra Di2 version with DT Swiss 23 mm aluminum rims or the 'Aero' version with Reynolds 41 mm carbon rims/integrated stem-handlebar/mechanical Ultegra.

Difference of €100 between them so not really am issue.

Thoughts anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Carbon rims for sure, esp on a disc bike where braking surfaces not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-9-0-etap.html

This one looks like a particularly good bargain.
    Sram Red Etap groupset alone is about €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Leaving for work today I actually stuck my tyre lever and inflator in my jeans pocket. I did realise what I had just done thankfully... the guys in work already think I'm a bit mad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm a little curious as to how garmin and strava estimate calorie burn. There seems to be a rough factor of four difference. My commute, which I record direct to strava on my phone, is usually about 450 calories; 19.5km with just over 100m of climbing. My spin today, recorded on my garmin, was calculated at 257 calories and it was 56km with about 250m of climbing IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'm a little curious as to how garmin and strava estimate calorie burn. There seems to be a rough factor of four difference. My commute, which I record direct to strava on my phone, is usually about 450 calories; 19.5km with just over 100m of climbing. My spin today, recorded on my garmin, was calculated at 257 calories and it was 56km with about 250m of climbing IIRC.

Do you use a heart rate monitor?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends what you put in as your weight, height etc. As Fighting Tao said, does one use HR and the other doesn't. While they are both estimations, I would think the one that has the most info and the most accurate yo be closer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't use a HR monitor; i'd expect either to be just a best guess, but was struck by how far apart the estimates are. they both have my weight. the garmin one seems extremely low though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i don't use a HR monitor; i'd expect either to be just a best guess, but was struck by how far apart the estimates are. they both have my weight. the garmin one seems extremely low though

Even with HR monitor they both give give very different numbers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Calorie burn is a difficult thing to measure accurately. It can be estimated using a number of variables (HR,power etc) but is dependent on basal metabolic rate, genetics and others.
    Treat a lot of the data you get as estimations and you won't go far wrong.
    There is a tendency among us all to take hard figures we get as gospel when in reality a range would be far more accurate.

yeah i'd been working on the assumption that the strava data was correct to within maybe a factor of two; but the garmin data even lies outside that.
    i'm not depending on the data for anything, was just struck by the near factor of four difference.

• Advertisement

stopped on the road out to trim earlier when i spotted another cyclist walking his bike along the side of the road; thought he might have had a puncture. turns out he'd dropped his glasses at some point along a stretch where it took him a few minutes to realise they were missing, and was looking for them.
    it was at that point i realised my generosity with my time had reached its limit and bade him good luck with his search.

stopped on the road out to trim earlier when i spotted another cyclist walking his bike along the side of the road; thought he might have had a puncture. turns out he'd dropped his glasses at some point along a stretch where it took him a few minutes to realise they were missing, and was looking for them.
    it was at that point i realised my generosity with my time had reached its limit and bade him good luck with his search.

That's a lovely story.

heh yeah, that might read badly. he was quite insistent that i was not to help him search a couple of km of roadside verge for his glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bit tangential, but the subject of lost glasses reminded me. I once went swimming with a friend in the Corrib in Galway, down by the old railway viaduct, where the pillars still remain. When we'd finished, I couldn't find my glasses. A man nearby came up to me and said: "Are you looking for your glasses?" Then with a hesitant and fairly incredulous tone, such as you might use when talking to a man who has just done something startlingly inexplicable, he went on to explain that I'd dived into the river while wearing them.

So my friend drove us back to his house in Salthill, where we got his goggles, and we drove back in the failing light for me to dive into the Corrib, and swim, begoggled, along the crepuscular riverbed looking for my glasses.

Reader, I found them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Regrettably, it is the low one you should probably treat as being closer to the correct one :D

yeah, usually, but the garmin one is clearly madly incorrect. 250 calories for 1h50m at over 30km/h seems a bit nuts. i'd do dublin to galway on less than 1000 calories based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Nice cycling thread kicking off on After Hours (again!). If you venture over there please bring popcorn.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Nice cycling thread kicking off on After Hours (again!). If you venture over there please bring popcorn.

And some restraint. It's not worth getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Did LIDL do any High5 gels recently? Don't recall seeing any this year even(but wouldn't be in LIDL every week). My stocks are low and/or waaaay out of date. Don't think I'd pay full whack for them.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Did LIDL do any High5 gels recently? Don't recall seeing any this year even(but wouldn't be in LIDL every week). My stocks are low and/or waaaay out of date. Don't think I'd pay full whack for them.

They only had the cycling stuff in a few weeks back don't recall seeing any gels.

Saw them on Wiggle the other day for about €15 for 20 x 38g

Holland and Barret do/used to do them so not sure whether they would work out at reasonable money in one of their 1c sales.

Advertisement