Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's crazy how well looked after the DublinBikes are compared to the regional schemes: https://tripeanddrisheen.substack.com/p/corks-bike-share-scheme-whats-the

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Strange things happening.

In the last 10 days I placed an order with Wiggle and Challenge tyres.

Challenge delivery from Italia arrived super quick. 2 working days.

Wiggle in about 3 working days.

Last night recieved an email from Wiggle apologising for the delay in delivery and are looking into it and will refund my paypal if not solved. There was no link in the mail and havent logged into Wiggle since the email arrived.

I have just got an email from challenge pretty much saying the same thing but containing the link and with a discount code.

I havent clicked the link nor logged into challenge.

My spidey senses are now tingling.....I think I used Paypal on both and my Revolut card is linked there and needs to be topped up manually.

Something nefarious going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Possibly. If you hover over the link you may be able to spot if they are not from either of the websites. Either way, I’d change the email, PayPal, Challenge and Wiggle passwords and turn on two factor authentication.

Have it in the back of my mind that wiggle had been hacked earlier this year?

Don't click the link, go to the web site via a new tab and manually typing the address and do as Fighting Tao suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anything obvious like the link in question not being to an expected URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

So just off a Facebook messnger chat with challenge tyres and they have confirmed that the email is genuine and I can avail of the discount.

walked down to the botanic gardens this morning, and on the way i spotted a broken glass - one of those chunky ikea ones - in the cycle lane, so swept the chunks right into the side of the kerb, out of the way. coming home an hour later, couple of lads were about 50m past the spot changing a tube, so clearly i didn't spot all the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reminds me that, a couple of months ago, my brother informed me that he got himself a mountain bike. He a farmer and doesn't really cycle as such so I just presumed he'd gotten a bottom of the barrel €250 BSO job for farting about on. Turns out he spent €5,000 on it and said he might upgrade the wheels. I was gob smacked.

i suspect i had a part in my boss spending that much; he's aiming to go sub-10 hours in the ironman; and was saying he wasn't sure if he could justify the investment in a new bike (his previous one is 10 years old i think).

i (jokingly) made the point that if his goal is to go sub 10 hours, and he finished in 10:07, he might regret not having changed the bike; i.e. also would have to consider the return on investment of all the time he'd spent training, whether the time is a bigger investment than the money. hopefully he'll finish in 9:58 or something like that so could go away happy thinking the bike (rather than all his training!) was what made the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Didn't want to start a new thread on it so...

I'm looking to join a club, south Dublin area that's welcoming to someone that wants to build their fitness (read: is slow) and has members around their own age ,(30's).

I can see CSS' club, Orwell and Bray are doing spins in my vicinity but I'd like to get a gauge on them first if I could.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

This is probably an exceedingly long shot, but here goes.

I'd seen this knife a while back, and got a serious case of the wants, but never got around to looking at it.

Saw it again in a recent Terry Barentsen video, and figured I'd go look for it. Almost impossible to find, except for one French shop, where it works out at €55 including shippings. So the question is, has anyone seen one around cheaper, or, unlikely as it may be, has one they want to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Many clubs will happily let you join them on a couple of spins before you make up your mind. Usually there are different groups that ride at different speeds so you can select the one that suits your pace best and then work from there. Probably best to contact each club via their website, FB, etc. to get specific details.

I had an NCT appointment this evening and just as I was nearing the NCT center the EPC light came on and the car went into limp mode. I nearly vomited but crawled in anyway and parked up resigned to the fact that I had failed before the test started. Somehow it must have rectified itself as it didn't come back on during the test. Phew!

(It failed anyway but for an easily rectified item - offside headlight beam misaligned due to incorrectly fitted bulb).

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Shimano relieved...not their fault this time 😉

Fail probably due to underuse I suspect !

So you have a VW (or a VW group vehicle). It's been a fair few years since I worked with VW but sometimes that light can come on for no obvious reason and can reset after a restart. If it persists then you'll need to have your dealer/mechanic check for stored fault codes that should pinpoint the issue.

yeah, WA is not having much fun mechanically it seems.

Perhaps underused in previous years but not this year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Do Chainreactioncycles ship to Rep. of Ireland without all that brexit crap? My inbox says vat and import charges are included but i dont trust them. Anyone used them recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep. bought a few things off them recently no issues.

just checked 3 orders since july when the rules changed. no problems.

Anyone know the brand or style of bike in that photo? It looks fairly ideal for commuting in a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Top man, thanks.

I know it's a minor thing but I bitterly regret that that style of bike isn't our preferred method of commuting by bike here. Racers are crap for a commute, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'd have to disagree, I commute on a track bike, fixed, it's absolutely perfect for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd also disagree. I've been commuting on a road bike for years. I find it great - comfortable and nimble enough in traffic.

Earlier this year I started using my old hybrid as my commute has shortened to 4km. The hybrid is perfect for the distance but I don't like it - it has flat pedals and that's why I use it.

As @eeeee said - different strokes....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Usage is lower so I assume so is the money spent on repairs. Just added new sites in Limerick out to TUS (LIT) so there is still investment

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing because you are of course right, but as i've gotten older I've started to appreciate stability over speed (which was always marginal for me anyhow....). For what i need (short distances wearing a suit) dutch style bikes are just handier. The lack of a cross bar on the above bike would be handy (again as i get older and feel more likely to rip my clothes getting over the cross bar...)

On an upright bike it's easier to land on your feet if anything happens, ime. (I did once come off my racer suddenly and somehow leap over the handlebars to land on my feet beside busy traffic so I am a changed man...)

Advertisement