Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Why are so many KOM segment times on Strava bogus? KOM result travelling 186 kph over the East Link bridge is one extreme and a not so close second is 106 Kph, congratulations Brendan and Marie!

Sure this is an extreme example but so many top 10 segment times I have come across (and more) are so clearly the app was left on while in the car... meaning the there is indeed no meaning to it all. I don't care about my times, best I can hope for is beating my own PR and be happy with my joint 1458th place, but it just makes the tool look silly and questionable.

I'm not on Premium so perhaps there's a reporting tool that Strava can look into and fix?

They can be flagged and they are eventually removed.

I've had two taken this week (Strava tells ya now) and they are definitely electric bikes when you look at the profile. I think you can only flag on the desktop site rather than the app

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They can be flagged and they are eventually removed.

I've had two taken this week (Strava tells ya now) and they are definitely electric bikes when you look at the profile. I think you can only flag on the desktop site rather than the app

I flagged a ride before from a guy who clearly left it on after being out on his MTB. Never changed and when I reflagged it I got a message saying it had already been flagged and corrected. Wasn't worth the effort after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    I flagged a ride before from a guy who clearly left it on after being out on his MTB. Never changed and when I reflagged it I got a message saying it had already been flagged and corrected. Wasn't worth the effort after that.

yes seen few of these lately low avg spreads some offroad, then crazy high speeds late in rides, and flagged before so can't be flagged again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Maybe it is just the cork accent, but everyone sounds like they are starting a fight:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Drama queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Chap in the car was late for training with the Munster team, he had his full training kit on...

CramCycle wrote: »

I actually flagged one after we mentioned this and it's gone already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's some day for idiots out there anyway. had a dublin bus driver - and they're usually decent enough - drive onto a roundabout with me already on it. and he had plenty of time to see me coming. several other idiot stunts from other drivers on the way home too.

it's some day for idiots out there anyway. had a dublin bus driver - and they're usually decent enough - drive onto a roundabout with me already on it. and he had plenty of time to see me coming. several other idiot stunts from other drivers on the way home too.

I had a taxi pass me and turn left onto me, only his window was open he heard me roar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I had an odd one out the Naas Road. Coming to a tight lane and a pothole ahead on the left, looked back to see a decent gap so indicated and started to move out to the right.

I get buzzed by the overtaker. "Nice!" I think. The brake lights go on - ah, I said that out loud. He of course didn't have time to slow down, but he has time to stop and lecture me that indicating doesn't give right of way. Which it doesn't, but overtaking right turning traffic isn't exactly legit either, never mind the close pass.

The climax was him squirting me with windscreen jets - it was actually quite refreshing! :pac:

Also I did this on the way home today.

My laptop was in there...

buffalo wrote: »

My laptop was in there...

Hard to call if you noticed or it was the beep that caught your attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I had a taxi pass me and turn left onto me, only his window was open he heard me roar

the passing someone to turn left on them is not just bad driving, its extremelt careless, dangerous and ignorant

Hard to call if you noticed or it was the beep that caught your attention?

I noticed alright.

I've only started using it since last week, and it happened once before. There's two clips and two velcro straps - the last time one velcro strap held on, but this time going over the ramp really launched it! :pac:

manafana wrote: »
    the passing someone to turn left on them is not just bad driving, its extremelt careless, dangerous and ignorant

I tend to remain all Zen n **** these days. But yep, it's not great

naas road *and* whitworth road? trying to envision your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had an odd one out the Naas Road. Coming to a tight lane and a pothole ahead on the left, looked back to see a decent gap so indicated and started to move out to the right.

I get buzzed by the overtaker. "Nice!" I think. The brake lights go on - ah, I said that out loud. He of course didn't have time to slow down, but he has time to stop and lecture me that indicating doesn't give right of way.

Indicating doesn't give right of way, but if you had time to change position in the lane, then you're past the point of indicating, and he has to adjust for your new road position. At least, I assume that's how it should work.

Even if you misjudged the whole situation, he can't just pass you with no room to spare.

naas road *and* whitworth road? trying to envision your commute.

Whitworth Road to get home from work, Naas Road to get from home to the club race.

Section of the greenway between Drogheda and Oldbridge destroyed by fire last night :mad:

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0727/981382-battle-of-the-boyne-fire/

I've seen images and video on facebook someone took this morning in daylight and a section of it is little more than a charred ruin.

I don't ride this at all myself as the section between the board walk and park in town isn't paved properly but do take the dog and wee one along here and it's used by many others to run or stroll on with their dog etc.

Not sure if this will display, if not search the ironically named group "the beauty of drogheda" on facebook

37867398_10216571829237074_335793024376242176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8efecd82cf0cf5435f12c60d6e991326&oe=5BCCCE55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Finally took the right turn at Howth Church.

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With the dryness of grass and such, most of these fires are caused by pure carelessness; someone throwing a cigarette butt into some bushes, or lighting a bonfire on a beach, too close to the rushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

I’ve done it a few times and it’s fun!

Strangely the first time I did the main road up the left of the church was only last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jesus that boardwalk in Drogheda! I really hope they have the funds to rebuild it. Fantastic amenity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

It's so much quicker though. I actually kind of like it now :eek:

Section of the greenway between Drogheda and Oldbridge destroyed by fire last night :mad:
    i'm amazed it burnt so well/badly.

I’ve done it a few times and it’s fun!

Strangely the first time I did the main road up the left of the church was only last weekend.

The 3 stages of turning right at the Church:
    1. Panic
    2. I'm never doing this agai...
    3. Yes I am.

nee wrote: »

Speak for yourself.

Some of us are fatcraps.

The 3 stages of turning right at the Church:
    1. Panic
    2. I'm never doing this agai...
    3. Yes I am.
    yep, i had the 'oh crap, i might fall over' sensation.
    am speccing up a new bike and was talking to derek in humphries; he was asking about gearing and i mentioned i'd been up howth that way and said i'd run out of gears, so that was something to consider.
    his response was 'ah jaysus, *everyone* runs out of gears on that road! you'd be a fool to spec them just for that', or words to that effect.

• Advertisement

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

I was up there last night and I feel better now that a competent cyclist like yourself also finds it tough.
    nee wrote: »

I have been following your suggestion of turning right onto Windgate once you get up there. And to think, I used to think you were sound. I actually curse you when I go up there
    yep, i had the 'oh crap, i might fall over' sensation.
    am speccing up a new bike and was talking to derek in humphries; he was asking about gearing and i mentioned i'd been up howth that way and said i'd run out of gears, so that was something to consider.
    his response was 'ah jaysus, *everyone* runs out of gears on that road! you'd be a fool to spec them just for that', or words to that effect.

I go up on 34/28 but only going fast enough that the bike won't fall over

Advertisement