Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i went up on 36/28 and genuinely thought i wouldn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i went up on 36/28 and genuinely thought i wouldn't make it.

I failed on it my first time but it was in the afternoon of an absolute scorching day and I was on the porter the night before

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ah jaysus it's tough, the first time I went up it I cursed like a sailor when I could still talk but it's not the absolute worst, it's over super quick, you just head down beat up it. It's like going up the Devils Elbow. Deeply unpleasant at the time but the recovery is quick enough after them and you can pedal on the rest of your day.
    And I say that as a big lazy sprinter on the road. I hate hills. Hate them. No hills on track. This year with the lack of fitness I'm going backwards over hills in races I tipped up with ease last year. But sort steep ones like that you just take the pain and it's over quick enough.
    Saying that I have a compact, and wouldn't swap it for the world (see big lazy sprinter bit on the road above).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Oh I wouldn't dare to call it "Right at the Church" if I didn't go up Windgates.

34x28 on my 10kg steel bike. Funsies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

42/21 on a steel bike lads, if you haven't done that you're only a wannabe.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bugger. i didn't know whether to go straight on or go up windgates, and went straight on.

Oh I wouldn't dare to call it "Right at the Church" if I didn't go up Windgates.

This
    bugger. i didn't know whether to go straight on or go up windgates, and went straight on.

Up Windgates wit ya :p. It's particularly hateful after getting up that far :pac:

There's an early 80's Nissan Vanette parked up Windgates and looking at that is my little treat. I have a thing for old 80's vans

RobFowl wrote: »

You must have been feeling invigorated after the swim across the harbour.

Actually my aluminium bike is 10kg...so I guess my 58cm steel bike is...heavier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You must have been feeling invigorated after the swim across the harbour.

You have been put into my book.......

You have been put into my book.......

So it was a Charity Triathlon?

Fine, put me in for €5

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's an early 80's Nissan Vanette parked up Windgates and looking at that is my little treat. I have a thing for old 80's vans
    Is it a green one on old Carlow plates?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pffft, I have done it once a few years ago on a Single speed running 48 x 14

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Good deed for the day: I found a large sum of money on the floor in a shopping centre and handed it in to the management in the hope that the owner realises where they lost it and comes looking.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Good deed for the day: I found a large sum of money on the floor in a shopping centre and handed it in to the management in the hope that the owner realises where they lost it and comes looking.

If you thought it was large. it must have been Laaaarrrrgggeeee

If you thought it was large. it must have been Laaaarrrrgggeeee

Ha ha ha! It's all relative I suppose!

Well done, honesty like that is fast becoming extinct.
    Is it a green one on old Carlow plates?
    It's green alright, unsure of the plates now, hopefully I'll see it tomorrow or Sunday though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So cycling down to the train station and at a junction, I tap my pockets. Stuff hanging out. Route around and realise phone is gone. Panic, can't carry everything and go back and check the route in time before the train. Drop bags into a shop and ask can I leave them there. Track back home, no phone, turn and recheck. No phone. Get to the shop, and decide I'll just have to rebuy. Get to station with 3 minutes to spare. Ask counter guy and he says I can borrow his phone. Email password does not work and train has pulled in. Other guy shouts just to go over and see what happens. Leg it across. Bike spaces full (I had booked a space but I cannot prove it). Eventually the inspector let's me on but says I'll have to buy a full price fare. Get on and he says hell be down in a few minutes. Start unpacking my bag and the open shopping bag in my right hand, down by my side for most of the spin had caught the phone as it slipped out of my pocket. He accepts my booking confirmation. Jebus I am lucky in an unlucky kind of way..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finally took the right turn at Howth Church.

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

Did it first time myself on Wednesday. Have a 34x26 as my lowest. Could be better, could be worse, but I thought it was kind of okay.

Fair play.

Any of the regulars here want a Garmin Edge 500? Has a dodgy USB port but other than that it's fine and the battery lasts 8-10 hours still. Free to a good home

I'll take it off your hands if you're ok with me giving it to a newly minted roadie

I'll take it off your hands if you're ok with me giving it to a newly minted roadie

No problem. Wouldn't like to sell it given the port is dodgy but it'd be a waste to leave it there. I have stem mount for it too. My new one should be here Tuesday or Wednesday so you can have it then

What's all this talk of going up the RHS of the church in Howth in the small ring about?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've just arrived gone from spending a couple of days in Cobh, beautiful town, but while having a coffee i noticed probably the worst looking 300 - 400 mts of a climb. It looked easily avg 15% for the lot of it.

Coffee shop was across from the Titanic Experience, anyone know it or even climbed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What's all this talk of going up the RHS of the church in Howth in the small ring about?

It's the cycling equivalent of walking widdershins round the kirk.

the-north-berwick-witches-and-dr-fian-mary-evans-picture-library-canvas-print.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

dahat wrote: »
    I've just arrived gone from spending a couple of days in Cobh, beautiful town, but while having a coffee i noticed probably the worst looking 300 - 400 mts of a climb. It looked easily avg 15% for the lot of it.

Coffee shop was across from the Titanic Experience, anyone know it or even climbed it?

It's called West View and probably looks worse than it actually - quite steep but over quickly. It was used as part of a finishing circuit of a Ras stage in the mid 90s and I seem to recall a short hill climb TT on the Junior Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's called West View and probably looks worse than it actually - quite steep but over quickly. It was used as part of a finishing circuit of a Ras stage in the mid 90s and I seem to recall a short hill climb TT on the Junior Tour

I hope I never find out tbf.

Thanks for the info, it did look too good a hill to go to waste.

Advertisement