Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You would think the lad in the car would stop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and more interacting with nature while cycling...

Bear was just looking to do some drafting to get himself down the road easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that one is apparently fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Apropos of nothing (at least in this thread), I've a quick question.

How many of you here routinely wear a cycling cap when cycling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't own one. i have a hot head though.

I wear one when commuting in the rain. Rain in Limerick comes at you every direction except down so the peak can come in handy when it's coming down diagonal or horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I always wear a cap. Great for keeping sweat from running into my eyes on warm days. As the cap gets most of the sweat it keeps the padding in the helmet from stinking up. In the wet a cap helps keep rain from my glasses/eyes. They're not really any use in keeping the sun out of your eyes so peak up most of the time unless it's raining.

Nope, the caps they do nothing for super sweaty betty's like me (See Hugo Houle in the racing today) and make things worse ime. This time of year I cycle like a boxer and use liberal amounts Vaseline to divert the sweat from my eyes. Works a treat and you're not constantly rubbing at your eyes and fiddling with glasses to get at them.

Out this evening and left a trail of wet behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

He looked like he had just stepped out of the shower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just in the last year I've started wearing caps - the Galibier Belgian winter cap is excellent in cold weather for keeping your head and ears warm.

In general the peak is great for keeping rain off your glasses and face, if it's not raining just flip it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I only wear a cap if its a bit cold (under 4 degrees) and I don't have a helmet on. I don't know how anyone wears one with a helmet but I run quite warm so not the best reference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A cap is better than sun cream head as far as I'm concerned so I tend to wear one most of the time. I need some new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I wear one or a bandana under my helmet. I like it to divert bees and wasps away from my skull. I'd be, erm, light on hair too.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

I've always worn a cap til last yr, summer to be precise. then i started wearing a gripgrab minimal sweat band, á al LF w/o the glasses !!,(under the helmet) mainly because I have a small head (so small, i can even wear the last boards cap😁)and wear sm helmet size so can get headaches esp in summer.

anyway (for me)caps protect better from Sun and wasps bees etc and def absorb more sweat and keep me warm in autumn /spring, in winter i often wear a M helmet with skull cap and cycling cap (i run cold)

Being light on hair is just important savings on the grams for hill climbs. That's my story anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Looks like 105 might be going Di2 as well after all

Be nice to see some more trickle down like 10 speed sora and 11 speed tiagra etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nice morning for a spin. Stopped and had a nice chat with an elderly gentleman motorist who expressed concern that I might be conforming to stereotypes about cyclists, and I was able to offer some advice to him on safe driving techniques. He seemed to get confused as he started to question who I was, but I wished him luck with his driving test and we parted company. It's great how cycling can result in you chatting to people you otherwise would never meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I only managed a two word chat with a fellow road user today, from the Clontarf right hand turn up towards Raheny a white Micra cut from the incorrect lane into my path and then proceeded to beep at me as I overtook a bus. You can imagine the two words used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Always wear a casquette. I have quite the collection. Great for rain, sun and cold.

heading to inishowen for a day or two at the weekend for a family event; tempted to throw the bike in the car and have a go at mamore gap when i'm there, but it might be a bit odd if i do disappear off for several hours like that, given the nature of the gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Bring the bike. If you can't go, you can't go. But if you do get an opportunity and you don't have the bike, you'll be kicking yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Have you done it before? Our family holiday was (just coincidentally 😂😂) close by last Summer and I managed to get there a few days.

The S-N climb is tough, road is dead straight, and you can see what’s coming up ahead. The N-S side is tougher I think as you’re climbing from close to sea level all in one go. There’s a few of the corners with gradients through the roof. It’s less than 2k from I what I remember though, so doable.

You can get a lot done in a 20k loop of an hour or so. Or an out and back of over the top and down if you’re really stuck for time. I would highly recommend to bring the bike!

never done it on the bike. drove over it a few years ago (north to south) and my eyes were watering with the idea of doing it on the bike.

this is something which is surprising in the sense that i've never heard of it before - since spokes work under tension, they don't need to be made from metal:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have/had my eye on these for my new bike (MTB) that's being made. I've to see if the wheel builder is interested. (i.e. I'm not interested in forcing someone to experiment if they don't want to)

I am researching some new wheels at the moment and one of the bespoke builders (pun intended) was doing similar.

Not familiar with him but went down the rabbit hole a bit (whats new with youtube eh?) and he has some decent content. A recent one on 'dork discs' was funny. I actually have them on my wheels, always just had them never questioned the why I guess.

Also he has some really nice cycling related tshirts I must try and source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd imagine it would be very slow, looks like you need two tools for every tension adjustment; of which there would be hundreds.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke/?geoc=IE

A very organised friend used to have one of those in tool bag; brilliant device as it fits any wheel and you can do drive side spoke without removing cassette allegedly. Great idea for audax,touring etc

Advertisement