Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

She really could just have declined the request to ask.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She also has this PQ...

As one of my TDs, I'm disappointed to read these questions from her and will defo mention it when she comes knocking for votes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't mind if she was asking whether insurance providers would provide insurance, but the use of 'regularise' in that question makes me very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't see why not- if you can have a eScooter with a throttle, why wouldn't you be allowed have an eBike with a throttle. Assuming the 25km/h limit still applies there shouldn't be any additional requirements (stupid SocDem brain-waves notwithstanding).

"Speed Pedelecs" (i.e. faster than 25km/h) are a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

The answer above states that escooters will have a separate class, e-bikes are still analogous to normal bikes, and that non pedal assist bikes will also have a separate class, that requires registration, insurance etc as a mechanically propelled vehicle.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that I was unaware that it was part of the proposal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Depends on the make of bike. Ones with larger wheels such as the Montague come in multiple sizes, e.g. https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/allston/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to post occasional home recordings of classical/classical-adjacent guitar in the old off-topic threads, so what the hell, somebody might enjoy this modest new one. (Bit of mains hum. I can't figure out what device, where, is causing it.)

David's Song, for guitar and "woodwind" (see if you can guess what "woodwind" is).

http://www.dermotryan.ie/misc/david.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No, but I'm really glad it seems a possibility to the listener! That was the ballpark I was aiming at.

It's a telecaster played with an e-bow. If you play it a particular way, it sounds breathy and (hopefully) expressive. You have to mute the adjacent strings like crazy though, and keep moving the e-bow away from the string and back in again when changing notes. It's quite a good effect though, I think. Allows me record some of the many guitar/flute guitar/violin arrangements there are out there anyway. (Provided the flute or violin part isn't too busy). I have three more lined up to record. I just never knew anyone to record them with before, but I guess I can just do them myself through the miracle of multi-tracking in Audacity.

• Advertisement

(Bit of mains hum. I can't figure out what device, where, is causing it.)

have you tried the bottom bracket?

i seriously doubt that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i had heard not heard of an e-bow (bar 'e-bow the letter' by REM and patti smith) before now. the concept is not related to the infinite guitar used by the edge?

I preferred the Jimmy Page method, though hard to bow individual strings on a guitar as they aren't configured with that in mind. As for the Edge I think that was just a sustain effect built into the guitar wasn't it? With or Without You comes to mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

EBow used on Don't Fear The Reaper. The edge used it on the unforgettable fire and Ed OBrien has used it on a decent number of Radiohead tracks that Johnny Greenwood probably got the credit for

Yeah, it's very similar to the Infinite Guitar. The Edge seems to use an e-bow to do the sustain in With or Without in concert. There are commercial guitars with built-in "infinite" sustain now, like the Moog Guitar (I think they only made about three Infinite Guitars), but the e-bow is much cheaper, and for single-line passages, it does the job, and gives you the flexibility to do, for example, the breathy articulation I was trying for there.

Sustain is a really cool effect in it's own right, am I right in thinking it came from the pedals on a piano as a concept for a guitar effect pedal?

Not sure where it came from, though imagine the trend in the 60s to seek feedback effects instead of doing everything you could to avoid them had something to do with it.

The piano sustain pedal is different, I guess, in that the note is still attack/decay rather than a swell, and it doesn't help the note to last longer than if you just held down the key, but it does allow you to release the key and keep the dampers at bay, so you can have a lot of strings resonating. That's my understanding anyway. Woodwind, bowed strings and organs give you genuine sustain.

It never occurred to me that pedals for guitars as a general concept might have drawn inspiration from piano pedals, but sounds convincing to me!

• Advertisement

I should say I'm far from an expert on electric guitars, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

The internet now we can see how things get played and youtube has a cover of everything with all the info we need. I only got back into playing during lock down after 15 years or so of not playing at all. If I could have seen how some guys actually played back in the day I'd never have tried or I'd have been much better. Like Les Claypool of Primus, impossible for me to replicate him as I can see now how the guy really plays, he has big hands and uses 5 and 6 string basses with necks not much wider than a guitar so he can mute c's and b's with his thumb and is a big part of his technique.

Seems that the bridge pickup in the infinite guitar kept the string vibrating, while the other two were normal pickups, so probably quite similar to the e-bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

saw Kim Gordon of SY use a bow to make some Sounds !! at a gig in Camden back in the day...if ur a fan of NY noise type stuff

There was an odd gadget invented by Godley &Creme that had revolving wheels that rubbed the strings, like a hurdy-gurdy. Could play sustained chords and polyphonic lines and allowed you to approximate a string section using a guitar before synthesizers made that easier. Called a gizmotron.

Post edited by tomasrojo on

mentioned the e-bow to a musician friend of mine, and he said taping two together is great fun, allows you to play chords.

anyway, for the weight weenies:

Yes, was thinking of overlaying lines to make chords in one section of another piece. I did something similar to create chords in harmonics in another recording (3:40 and the end):

http://www.dermotryan.ie/music/microphone_recordings/ave_maria.mp3

(I think it's great that you can now do multitracking at home for almost nothing. For decades it was studio magic, though I guess there were small four-track machines musicians used for home demos.)

Post edited by tomasrojo on

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I’m not the better after hearing a cyclist in collision with a car in templemore town earlier. Chap was in pain looked like a few people knew what to do. Bike frame was smashed. Father in law saw it and is in shock. I called the ambulance which was about 10 mins to the scene. Hopefully nothing serious Mike. Some club mates appeared soon after too. Speedy recovery.

i'm old enough and grumpy enough to take the line that if you make things too easy, people stop having to try hard to produce (insert form of creativity/art) and you lose some spark. e.g. i'm glad i learned photography when i had as few as 12 shots per roll, and each shot cost about a quid; you had to try hard and make each one count. my friend i mentioned earlier, who teaches music production, i think disagrees to a certain extent that the same concept would port across to music.

• Advertisement

Advertisement