Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I emailed the club but heard nothing back yet, just wishing him a speedy recovery and no serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, true enough for studio recordings where there are often so many overlays it sounds very thick (though that sort of density suits some music). I don't do multitracking an especially easy way from the point of view of playing. I just use a single mic and record a part as if it were a performance, very little editing. Which means I usually just play each part until the mic runs out of memory and then extract the best take, even if it's not absolutely perfect. So I still have to be able to perform each part. But everyone seems to agree it's a lot easier combining the parts on a computer than overlaying on magnetic tape. I don't need to edit much, as I said, but editing by cutting magnetic tape with a razor blade and splicing with special adhesive tape sounds like really hard work too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

More power to Bill Power!

Sir, – The Rules of the Road for pedestrians state that “if there is no footpath, you must walk as near as possible to the right-hand side of the road, facing oncoming traffic”.

This is sensible, safe and logical. It is also the law, so we’re used to it.

Councils’ greenway code, however, states that users should “cycle and walk on the left, pass on the right”.

I walk and cycle the lovely Waterford Greenway and this code always seems unsafe and illogical for cyclists and pedestrians.

If I walk on the left, cyclists come up behind me, some of them quite fast, most of them without a bell. The first I know of them is the disconcerting swoosh as they swerve past.

If I walk on the right, I can see cyclists coming towards me, and they can see that I’m aware of them, so no issues.

In the best interests of cyclists and walkers the code needs to replaced by the relevant section of the Rules of the Road.

The existing code makes greenways less safe for users, and especially so for children.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/2022/08/08/stay-on-the-left/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Does any pedestrian actually know that such a rule exists on greenways. Poor Bill is only going to ruin his own enjoyment by spending his entire greenway stressing about the breaking of the "highway code"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

basically bill is looking for four lanes on the greenways; does he realise this?

• Advertisement

It's also not "sensible, safe and logical" to walk on the road towards oncoming traffic on a blind bend (veering to your right), I find. You have to use your judgment really, whatever the law might be.

People also mention that walkers give out to them for using bells. The bells are variously too loud and also too quiet.

The standard reaction I get to the bell is panic which causes people to move erratically and often into the path I am taking around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

With bells, people either acknowledge it and move out of the way, or they get skittish and almost jump-scared by them and make unpredictable movements.

Have also seen people get pissed off by people ringing a bell, in an almost road rage style reaction, is if you’ve had the gall to ring your bell at them

Yeah, I do use a bell myself, but you have to apologize for using it, sort of, because you don't know what sort of crank you're dealing with. Use it gently and a good distance away works ok. You have to pass relatively slowly anyway on a greenway, because you have to be ready to stop if they wander into your line anyway. It's good for the aforementioned blind bends on greenways , more for things like meeting people cycling two abreast coming the other way, as I have.

• Advertisement

Probably people who drive and think the bell is like how they use a car horn which is as a chastising device.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was freewheeling behind someone once, they were a pedestrian, it was a shared space. Where we were both going was 30m away so I seen no point in attempting to pass. I just slowed and stayed a few m back. Thought I was being mannerly. Well, not 3 seconds after I slowed did the person and their friend turn on me and read me the riot act about my behaviour. I explained I didn't want them to do anything after they explained their rights and that I couldn't move them. Some people would take offence at a friendly hello. This is why Bells don't work in the modern world. I either say nothing or a polite "sorry, excuse me, thank you".

I've gotten agro for coasting behind 2 people on a cycle lane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

random aside, but i have seen lorries belonging to a company called AGRO on the roads in the last few years. they should have researched the company name before using it here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

On the similar topic of tube inflation...

This is a great hack and hilarious

Anyone ever try their luck at one of these?

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/timed-auction/listings?salecode=DO340

Mostly old stuff there from the quick look I had. Hard to know what kind of issues they might have too.

Wonder is it stuff from the Gardaí or a shop that closed maybe?

• Advertisement

unfortunately, some of the bikes pictured in the tweet are not listed in the auction - for example, it was the old purple giant road bike in the tweet which was one which caught my eye.

I've bought from one of those auction places before, not a bike but some old coffee gear from a shop.

You end up paying VAT on top of whatever bid you make, and then most of them charge an auctioneers fee on top of that too, so I'd probably account for maybe 30% on top of whatever you bid.

edit: It's actually probably even worse than that for those, this is what it says:

• All Lots are + VAT and subject to 25% Buyer Premium + VAT on the commission. Minimum Commission € 20 including vat per Lot. Unless stated otherwise. 

what is it about galway city that the councillors are so useless?

I'd be interested to see how well *he* did in elections without the machinery and brand recognition that go along with running for a big party.

This, he knows it but doesn't see it. It's actually cringe worthy that those who represent us are so blinkered. Can't see the wood because they are standing in a Galway tent. Aside from that, she may have responsibilities that don't allow her to run. So even if she had FF behind her, it might not be a runner. Not all of our jobs allow us to become councillors, or those under our care may determine that such a risk is untenable. It was a sh1tty comment but undoubtedly it will get some traction with those he has graced with favours in the past. Hopefully it backfires on him.

he's responded that way several times on twitter, and seemingly all to women. also, he's pulled out the 'i don't have to engage honestly because i've been abused on twitter by the cycling activists' card, yet the only tweet he's provided as proof is not from anyone who has any role in the cycling groups there (and it's since been deleted, so i can't read it).

he's also cited in the not very complimentary piece about galway in the times today:

I always here this nugget " The emergency services also said it would impact their work, which was a deciding – and important – factor.". My understanding was that where decent infrastructure was provided Ambulance times improve as they cut out inhibitive motor traffic and effectively provide an emergency access lane. I was cycling to work along the Dun Laoghaire lane which the ambulance was using to get around far faster than it used too. In the past it would have crawled along as it waited for traffic to split or Dave to look up from his phone as he awaited traffic to start moving once more. IIRC the head of the London ambulance service had to admit that, while he claimed otherwise initially, that response times had improved with improved cycle super highways.

I believe the argument from the emergency services at the time was based on them not having access to the cycling lanes at all, and what would happen if they were stuck in a one way lane.

But the Gardai, fire services and ambulances all refused to comment on what grounds they were objecting to it, even though it was easily explainable to them that they have a right to use them, and the fact there wasn’t any blocking or anything for them to use it

• Advertisement

When O'Callaghan Strand in Limerick went one way temporarily during lockdown Niall Colgan barbers pulled the "won't someone think of the children" sht about having to take a slightly longer route to work.

Local paper done an article about his rambling despite the road not being blocked at any end to emergency services. But some people I suppose are better connected to local media and no alternative voice was asked.

Advertisement