Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jessica Fletcher ahead of her time. Even she was aware that it was the cars that kill, not the people driving them

Also at a glance, that looks like Father Dick Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Saw this on Twitter earlier, infrastructure vs. Dutch infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Just got an email reminder from Le Col that the last voucher I got from them (from Strava) expires tomorrow.

It's one of those £50 off £100 or more purchase, but I won't be using it.

If it's of any use to anybody here, drop me a pm, I'll send it on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can't say this would give me too much faith in decathlon bikes; it's an elops model, dutch style bike according to my neighbour - he was leaving the house the other night and a chap on his way home from work had been knocked down across the road, so my neighbour stopped to help and took the bike in for him. weird that the pedal doesn't seem to have suffered much damage but the crank bent this much. i haven't seen the bike, was sent this on whatsapp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Same thing happened to my Raleigh about 20 years ago, when a car reversed into me and then went over the bike (I was knocked clear thankfully).

I'm not sure what you're implying though? Would you expect/prefer a broken crank?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd expect the pedal cage to fail first, i reckon? as mentioned though, i've not actually eyeballed it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Depends, if the pedals are more rubber-ish than plastic possibly not. Plus the fact those elops are only around 300 quid brand new so I’d be expecting pretty dirt cheap components

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I expect there's an axle made of either metal or strong plastic in the pedal. If the force of the impact hit that head on (i.e. the cyclist was t-boned), I wouldn't expect it to crumple but to transfer the force into the crank, which then bent.

In my case, a simple crowbar bent it back into shape.

my neighbour just brought the bike to me, i have a spare old crank which i figured i could swap on if necessary. but the back wheel is buckled beyond use so my neighbour figured the owner would have to bring it back to decathlon anyway.

i hope he got the details of the woman who hit him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Id presume the person who hit them will pay for a new bike, not sure what going to Decathlon will do unless it's to buy spare parts.

yeah, i was saying that - that the replacement cost of the bike (€270) is pitiful in general insurance terms. and that a new wheel and a crank, pus labour, could easily be half the cost of a sinple replacement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Kind of sad that we're making bikes that are as cheap to replace as repair.

Shame about the tyres!!!!!! Horrible.

and the bike was brand new, which makes it worse. the chain was utterly spotless (and the tyres too - they'd end up looking very grubby very quickly)

there's been quite a few collisions over the years at the junction it occurred at. and from what i can see, it's all down to driver observation issues.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

--ignore--

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

If it were me, I'd be taking the 270, straightening the crank and buying a new rear wheel. I meant purely in a economical in time cost. It is disgusting though, my local recycling centre / dump is littered with holiday makers kids bikes from Halfords. Probably only a year or two old. If I ever found myself out of work one of my and would be to reclaim and sell on for cheap, they are all cheap but would be functional with very little effort.

same neighbour (from the story above with the bike with the bent crank) was leaving the house this evening, and happened across another 'accident' at the same junction, a chap on an e-scooter had been knocked down.

• Advertisement

seems the only bike parking in the entire RDS is about a dozen toaster rack stands out the very front, i.e. at hthe merrion road entrance.

Yeah they wouldn't let me in anywhere when I was going in for my Covid jab. Cars no problem though

I remember that story where the guy rolled up to the test centre on his bike and they refused him. It was so bizarre how supposedly intelligent people couldn't work out what to do.

It was in Wales wasn't it ? An elderly gent who took a train and then cycled to the centre and then queued with the cars in the drive though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I was back in my old town the other night.

As I was a bit of novelty because I always cycled to pub and my choice of drink was bottled Guinness the bar man was reminded of a story a local Garda told him.

The Garda was on foot patrol when a very drunk man cycled past him and then fell. The man had a practice of putting a bottle of Guinness into the two pockets of his coat for a night cap at home.

When the Garda helped him up his clothing was very wet, the man looks at him and says "please say it's blood" 🙂

i think there was one from ireland too? they had a 'wait in your car' policy and couldn't cope with a cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The off white tyres go with the old fashion style of the bike....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I went for a few tests on the bike. The testers were very confused looking but obliging.

Amazing how many people asked me if I would be ok to cycle after my jabs though.

I recently got my second booster in Citywest and arrived up on my bike. I wasn't going to leave it outside as I only had a basic lock so I went on past the ushers outside (who made no objections to me) and when I went in the door I was told the receptionist that whilst I wouldn't be allowed to bring it upstairs to the clinic (second floor), she would keep an eye on it.

Everyone was pleasantly surprised to see a cyclist and impressed that my journey home would be about 40km in total (taking in a few hills around Saggart).

• Advertisement

Just received this photo on WhatsApp...

Advertisement