Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not directly involving cycling, but an interview with Neil Fox, brother of Donna Fox who was killed by a truck driver in East Wall. He's been vocal on issues of cycling safety since.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/your-wellness/2023/01/17/hearing-the-call-to-god-and-then-hearing-the-call-to-leave-the-priesthood/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's even dumber than the usual putting of Sheffield stands so close to the wall you can't lock your frame to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

When I said that in long races, riders sometimes need to slash on the bike, that's not what I meant at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apparently he's known for going out front on a long solo effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Terribly un-aero helmet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

poor rosemary went to hog heaven this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Not sure if this is the right thread (and it probably isn't worth starting a new one) but looking for some advice on bike racks.

We're heading to France camping in the summer and it looks like bringing of our own bikes is the best option as the rental prices are steep.

I have a basic enough Buzz Rack similar to pic below. In theory the one I have can take 4 bikes but I wouldn't trust it tbh.

We would be bringing 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bike (for 8 and 10 yr olds)...what I've done before for local trips is pop one or both of the kids bike in the boot but that won't be an option in the summer.

We'll probably have a roof box on as well and no tow bar so options fairly limited.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any reason you don't trust it? They are all basically the same. Unless its resting on a window, I'd just secure it with additional straps.

• Advertisement

I guess with the mix of bikes we have, my own bike is the only one that fits properly on it.

The wife's bike is an awkward fit on so takes up more space than it should tbh.

I'll test out a few loading options, using extra straps for one of the kids bikes maybe.

Is there an optimum way of loading the bikes btw? eg. would you put all the front wheels on the same side or is better to alternate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I've successfully put a bike alongside the top box. Worked fine.

Subquentally a buddy borrowed the box and crashed it into a barrier, so watch heights carefully!

I had a cheaper rack and it really depends on the bikes and how much you care about them. I typically just aim for the heaviest closest to the car and then get them as tight as possible Tetris style with additional bungee cords. I am buying a tow bar one next though. Not sure there's a right answer for a on the back one and your most prized possession, hence the move to a tow bar one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Aside: If your car registration plate is going to be obscured by the bikes, fit another one before you leave home. The French Gardaí will be pleased.

I tied one to the outermost bike, but then fitted one properly to the back of the top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tow bar is the best option, if you think you're likely to be carrying multiple bikes in the future consider having one fitted.

Last time we took the bikes to France I had 4 full sized bikes on the tow-bar rack and another on the roof beside the roof box (was still able to open the roof box by positioning it off-centre on the bars).

if you are using the boot mounted rack, alternate the direction of the bikes so the handlebars don't clash. If your wife's bike is awkward because it has a step-through frame, you can get a clip on cross-bar that will allow you to mount it normally, Halford sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

You might need to be aware of nose weight, which is particular to models of car. Unless you've all got ebikes though, I'd imagine you're OK, though the bike rack will act like a lever so just because you've got 30kg strapped on the boot, it might have more of an effect. Be careful as well if fitting to a hatchback with no frame around the glass or one of those plastic spoilers

We've taken 2 adult + 2 kids bikes over multiple times including several trips to the Alps and also the Bordeaux area. What I've done up to now is take the front wheel of the smallest kids bike which will allow it go into the boot with the handlebars turned 90 degrees which means it takes up little space. I've take the pedals off as well to be able to shove it in further. It means taking a couple of tools with you to put the pedals back on, but really it's a matter of minutes.

The other thing I do is get some tubular foam pipe insulation and put bits on any frame bits that are touching, then get bungees and strap everything together tightly. Number plate is a must for France if the rack hide yours with the bikes on - I cable tied it to a couple of bungees and strap that on last. By rights you'd need a light board as well, but I've never bothered and fingers crossed all has been well.

Thanks for all the replies....much appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Aw poor Rosemary 😢 sounds like she had a lovely end of life though

Rotor chainrings? Yay or nay, has anyone used them, are they decent quality or am I better sticking with Shimano

I've used the Q-ring oval versions. The pedal stroke feels a little smoother but other than that I'm not sure if the ovality has a major impact - I've never measured. As regards quality, they are fine. They last as long as their Shimano equivalents and if you are comparing with Dura Ace (or possibly Ultegra) rings, they are cheaper.

The main issue is one of aesthetics. Because the Shimano spider and arms are hollow, the Shimano outer chainring also has hollow arms to continue the taper out to the edge, if that makes sense. The Rotor arms are flat so there is a step-down from the spider to the ring. Rotor make modified chainring bolts to hide some of this but it is still pronounced. You can see the step in this:

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'm getting regular round ones, just wanted to make sure they will last as long as the Ultegra ones I had before. Can't get the right size Ultegra anywhere. For anyone whose met me face to face, aesthetics are not a major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Haven't read the Red Hand Files in about two months and missed this delight

He's a brilliant songwriter but he's not half bad at prose

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/chat-gpt-what-do-you-think/

Cave is just bitter because he knows, deep down in his demon-infested soul, that he never wrote a Nick Cave song which is as good as "Mr. Cave's A Window Cleaner Now", by Half Man Half Biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is quite funny if you're familiar enough with MES's lyrics to realize that the ball landed many ballparks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I am reminded of the beautiful song 'Black Contact Lenses' by Galway band Toasted Heretic. It features the lyric...

All you ever wanted was,

To write a song as perfect as,

Take the Skinheads Bowling,

But of course you never did.

I believe 'Take the Skinheads Bowling' is by Camper van Beethoven.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's so far away from a Fall lyric... listening now to "Rowche Rumble" to remind myself of the great man.

it's Valium-ah ksh ksh

it's Valium-ah ah ah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll spend the rest of my life regretting not going to see the Fall when I had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My only real show biz story is that my then-girlfriend and I saw him in a pub pre-show in Dublin, went up to tentatively wish him a quick best wishes on the show, and ended up having a few drinks with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Saw them in Sir Henrys, Cork 'back in the day.' It was chaotic but entertaining- Mark fighting with the band, annoying them, interfering with them playing their instruments. Off and back on the stage a few times. tbh, I almost preferred it over a standard gig- it was very unique and memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Faith, Hope and Carnage is excellent, I'd recommend the audiobook version, it's Nick and Sean Hagan narrating it- https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Faith-Hope-and-Carnage-Audiobook/B09WRXQ7NM

Advertisement