Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

We've a paved back garden which is big enough, well big enough to do laps on if you are 4 on a little bike. Which is exactly what my daughter was doing this evening, peddling around for a good 25 minutes out there, should have put my phone on her to track her on strava
    #SawTooMuchTrackRacingThisWeekend :D

I did the same thing on my mother's bike in her back garden yesterday while my dog followed me around with what could only be described as a "what the heck are you at?" look on her face!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

We've a paved back garden which is big enough, well big enough to do laps on if you are 4 on a little bike. Which is exactly what my daughter was doing this evening, peddling around for a good 25 minutes out there, should have put my phone on her to track her on strava

Film it - will be historic footage when she wins the Tour de France!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If you're Dublin based, take her and her bike to Corkagh Park where there's a proper enclosed cycle track. There's women's crit racing on Tuesday evenings at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sounds like a little woman in need of some velodrome time! Future track star!

She's why we need an indoor velodrome #youthdevelopment

Are we any closer to that becoming a reality? Was only thinking watching the track last night that it would be great to have one capable of hosting a 6 day meet here and a huge thing for those involved in track cycling here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Minister announced it was approved and built within 2 years recently, I'll believe it when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Minister announced it was approved and built within 2 years recently, I'll believe it when I see it

Within 2 years of when though :pac:

Within two years of when construction commences!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Within two years of when construction commences!

While I don't believe it, they have said 2019 and 2020 as completion years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have a lot of hope...all the hope. It feels like it'll never be built, but I believe it will be eventually, but not today or tomorrow unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

2nd go turning right at the Church in Howth today.

A LOT easier knowing what was ahead of me and on the aluminium bike. Think it'll be my new normal when I have gears going forward.

Collected Lollypop Jimmy's old battle damaged Garmin this PM.

Many thanks. Going to a freshly minted Roadie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Collected Lollypop Jimmy's old battle damaged Garmin this PM.

Many thanks. Going to a freshly minted Roadie.

No worries, I should have invited you in for a pint, unfortunately I'm still where we met... uh oh!

No worries, I should have invited you in for a pint, unfortunately I'm still where we met... uh oh!

In sweaty lycra? Didn't seem like that sort of establishment. That'd be more of a Berlin underground thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone having issues with Strava lately? It's very slow to sync with Garmin Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Strava lately? It's very slow to sync with Garmin Connect.

Yes. I got fed up waiting so tried to upload manually by selecting the files myself but Strava it said it was processing a duplicate. Waited a while to see if the processing would finish but it never did. Eventually it let me upload manually. My rides uploaded by Wifi direct from the Garmin unit were fine. I was using the Garmin Express application for the ones which would not upload to Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Off to Glasgow early in the morning to visit friends. Was packing last night as I am heading to Dub this evening straight from work and went to put the passport in the bag and it wasn’t in the drawer I normally keep it. Haven’t been away since April so can’t remember where it could have gone.

Queue 3 hours of tearing the house apart looking for it. No sign of it. Emptied drawers, pulled out jackets everything. Gave up at 2 am and went to bed but couldn’t sleep. Checked for an alternative flight with Aer Lingus and they would have been €500. (Driving license will do with them)

Txt the wife to ring me when she got up( she lives away during the week as the commute is too far) to see if she had it in one of her bags.

I am up again at 5.30 looking, she rings @ 7,no sign of it there either.

I am pacing the house thinking of places I hadn’t checked while discussing options with the wife. In the back of my head I am thinking, I am off work 4 days and I could get a lot of cycling in :) and she is saying “I don’t care what it costs you book that other flight you are coming with me”

And I don’t know what possessed me but I stopped in front of the printer and lifted up the top of the flatbed scanner and there was my passport. Don’t remember even putting it there. I know I did have a meeting with a pension adviser since I was last away but I know that I sent him an old scan of my passport that I took with an app on my phone last year sometime because he was complaining that you could see the edge of my thumb but said it would do.

I have been laughing for the last 25min and too tired/Wired to go back to sleep. That €500 is going towards a new groupset for my old bike

TL;DR
    I am an eejit
    I am getting one of those EU Passport Cards
    I am not going cycling this weekend

I have to open the garmin connect app for my garmin to sync with the phone for the last few weeks. Then GC to Strava is hit and miss. Sometimes it’s straight away others it takes anything between 10 and 30 min only once did it it upload the ride at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Raam wrote: »
    Yes. I got fed up waiting so tried to upload manually by selecting the files myself but Strava it said it was processing a duplicate. Waited a while to see if the processing would finish but it never did. Eventually it let me upload manually. My rides uploaded by Wifi direct from the Garmin unit were fine. I was using the Garmin Express application for the ones which would not upload to Strava.

I'm using the 520 and uploads fine to Connect over WiFi but there seems to be an issue with the Strava connection between the two. It does go through eventually but could take 30mins at times.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »

Same here recently. Auto upload by GE does nothing. Manual gives duplicates but then allows a short while later. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Keep an eye here, they've been having some problems lately:

http://status.strava.com/

http://status.strava.com/history

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Too much zwift over the winter lads, yis have broken strava..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bikes are great. Had to be on a train at 9.40, still shuffling about my apartment at 8.55, out the door in a panic at 9 and on train with 20 minutes to spare.

It was only 7-8 km and it's downhill from Santry, but walk to bus and walk from bus would've been 15 minutes in itself, plus the 30 mins on the bus

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Off to Glasgow early in the morning to visit friends

Men's road race in the Euro's is on Sunday if you're still there.

Men's road race in the Euro's is on Sunday if you're still there.

Cheers for the heads up. Might try sneak off for that. We are bit out from Glasgow but will check the route

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I am getting one of those EU Passport Cards

Theyre super. Definitely do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ED E wrote: »
    Theyre super. Definitely do it.

They're annoying in so far as you can't (yet?) use them in the biometric machines and have to go through the normal queue. Depending on the airport (Schiphol for instance) or time (Dublin upon return) this can add significant time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    Bikes are great. Had to be on a train at 9.40, still shuffling about my apartment at 8.55, out the door in a panic at 9 and on train with 20 minutes to spare.

It was only 7-8 km and it's downhill from Santry, but walk to bus and walk from bus would've been 15 minutes in itself, plus the 30 mins on the bus

Santry great for getting to town quickly on a bike. Not so nice getting home.

Advertisement