Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For everyone's benefit, cut out off thread sales if using the adverts section. That includes people contacting by pm. It's wasting people's time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm on Clare Island with a bunch of friends for a week. For an island where you're never really more than a few km from anywhere else, there sure are a lot of cars and very few bikes. And the only people we've seen on bikes are tourists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Spotted yesterday, a family on one of the rad power bikes one of the bike hire places uses here. Chap in the saddle, his wife/partner riding pillion, with an infant strapped to her, and a toddler in the basket.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Over 90kg empty so for most people that's not really heading anywhere without an ebike (which you won't be able to recharge in the sand dunes). The website shows brake discs on the wheels but no indication as to how they are actuated. Maybe they are like a car trailer "over run" brakes, actuated by the deceleration of the towing vehicle? Not going to be much fun.

And there's the matter of the €4k plus price tag which excludes the accessories shown the video. The solar charging kit shown in the video is €2k including VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-13/australian-cyclist-connor-lambert-mourned-after-death-in-belgium/102598762?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

I've lost a best friend in the last few days, he was like a little brother to me, and a big brother to my girls. The world is a darker place. Connor had raced with a few of the lads here on the site, had done the Rás with me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Sorry for your loss, Junior. May he rest in peace.

Sorry to hear that Junior - may he rest in peace.

Make sure to look after each other as it will obviously be a difficult time for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

edit: Sorry for your loss Junior, I hadn't read down thread before replying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I was so so sorry to hear this, I hope you and his family and friends are doing as ok as possible right now junior. Thinking of you all, awful awful awful thing to happen.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Had a devil on the shoulder moment yesterday in a Decathlon in Nantes. They're taking trade ins here, and cleaning them up for sale. One such was an immaculate Vitus 992 ala Kelly down the Poggio in '92. It had a lovely shimmery almost translucent finish, which looked original or was a very good restoration as all decals were in place with a Campy Athena group (6 speed I think fairly tight block). All for €390.

I kept the devil in it's place as it was obviously too small from me, that and the thought that if I arrived out with it, I'd have been making my own way to the ferry 😁

Was this Ireland's first cycle path?

I never knew that prior to the grounds becoming Croke Park, it was owned by a company called City and Suburban Racecourse and Amusements Grounds Ltd. who had a pavillion & cycle track...

Interesting history behind Croke Park area...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Go out to aran islands. Locals drive everywhere.

Can understand in winter time, but in the middle of summer?

As pointed out elsewhere, no NCT required on an island. So Clare Island certainly is now a dumping ground for NCT failures. You can see the logic - why spend money on a car that never travels more than 6km in one direction, which is going to be destroyed by salt, when you can essentially get them for free anyway? And a tank of petrol would probably last three or four months. So am island which is ideal for a bike or an e-bike becomes full of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

On the way home I've bought calf compression sleeves in Decathlon yesterday. I got the size wrong, how could I exchange them if I'm rarely up in Dublin? If something bought in store, it's not likely have aftersales via post.

decathlon size very small in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Yes, I've noticed that, I don't even want to try on, size m, 31-36cm, and my calf is 39-40 cm. I've lost a lot of weight from my upper body, legs haven't changed, sometimes it makes me think I'm size m but I'm never going to be due to my bones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Website says you can’t return items bought in store by post

”Items purchased in store in Decathlon Ballymun can only be returned in store in Ballymun and cannot be posted back. Items purchased in store can avail of the standard 30 days to return any unworn/unused goods with tags attached for a refund/exchange with your proof of purchase upon inspection. If you make your purchase in store and utilize your Decathlon account email address at the till at the time of making your purchase this will extend your returns window from 30 to 365 days.”

it'd be gas if they were chipped to go faster than 25km/h. which they should be, doesn't make sense to prevent gardai from getting around quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

Then they'd be classed as speed pedelecs and need a plate, moped licence and helmet standard is higher. They are exempt from some rules in performance of duties though so maybe. They are going to quickly discover how many Deliveroo riders can out run them!

Those helmets are going to be a lot of use!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's like some amateur film makers were trying to make a cross between Hot Fuzz and 21 Jump St.

vaguely related to cycling in two very tenuous ways* - but this jc decaux sign currently has a planning application sign on it, for retention - by DCC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3900378,-6.2644817,3a,75y,351.23h,87.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRVC5NoaK4Tra1Xsasfi4Sg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

*tenuous links - they were installed to facilitate the dublin bikes scheme, and it's rich with DCC applying for permission to retain an obviously large visible structure while forcing removing much more subtle bike bunkers from gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I was just on the GCN+ app, watching artistic cycling. I know nothing about it, but there was a woman on a track bike, doing a wheelie, with another woman on her shoulders. Then she went backwards while still doing the wheelie. This made me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Some classic replies on Facebook to news that some of that cycle track in Fairview is open.

This one made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd imagine it was a clerical slip up/over sight during a mass planning process rather than a deliberate attempt to erect it without PP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A neighbour of mine just changed their driveway and frontage with no planning but has asked for retention of it within days

They'll likely get it, as it's a nice job, but it will make a mockery of some of the decision.

Let's not forget someone got permission to put a turntable for their car in sandymlint, that's hardly in keeping with the area.

• Advertisement

Advertisement