Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I think a lot of thinking - backed by practice - is that begging forgiveness is easier than begging permission. I make a habit of looking a planning permission notices, and I see applications for retention a lot. I guess it helps when the object of the forgiveness isn't outrageous and if the neighbours have gotten used to it anyway they're less likely to go to the hassle/expense of objeecting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the deal with permission being automatic once a certain length of time had passed? i probably misunderstood it, but i had in my head that if something was built without permission, but once a certain length of time passes and no complaints are received, it's almost automatically granted permission?

anyway, the sign outside the library on ballymun road has been there at least 14 years (according to google street view) - quite a bit of time for them to notice/regularise the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Not really off topic I suppose, but I got an email from CI about a survey on "An appraisal of the needs of cyclists along the developmental continuum​​​​​​​" to be filled in either on one's own behalf, or on behalf of a child. I started to fill it in, but stopped as it had a swathe of questions about quality of coaching available, access to training facilities and the like, which are irrelevant to me, but are probably more relevant for others here more involved at the competitive end of things

Link to survey: https://setu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b7PpEyGJXHaYqlE

And the text from the email as the other end of the link ain't the most descriptive:

What is the purpose of the study?

The proposed study aims to conduct an appraisal of the needs of cyclists along the developmental continuum in an aim to:

1. inform and/or align pre-existing models developed by Cycling Ireland with a view to aid in the creation of a new participant development model (should one not already exist).
    2. Understand the key transition points and the support structures needed to ensure continued participation at these junctions.

Why have I been contacted?

1. You have been contacted about this study as a member of Cycling Ireland

What do I have to do?

1. Within this study there will be data collected via an online questionnaire. You will be required to complete a questionnaire which can be completed online. The questionnaire should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete and consists of three main components: Participation, Development, Structures.

Risks and/or disadvantages?

1. As you are required to only answer questions there shall be no risk involved whilst participating in this study. However, if there is a question you are not willing to answer you are not obligated and not having a comment is acceptable. All IP tracking will be turned off for the purpose of the online survey.

Will my taking part in this study be kept confidential?

1. This survey is anonymous and IP tracking has been turned off.Data will be held securely and in the strictest of confidence in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1998). Freedom of Information legislation will allow access to certain non-personal or generalized data. This study has been reviewed by the Ethics Committee of the School of Health Sciences Research Ethics Committee, SETU WIT. If you would like further information about this study please contact Dr Jean Mc Ardle, Jean.McArdle@setu.ie, 051 302162
    2. Thank you for taking part in our survey. Please take your time reading and answering the questions. There are no right or wrong answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On the subject of planning permission, I didn't realise it was required for a headstone until we were arranging to have one erected on my mother's grave. Presumably to prevent monstrosities going up in graveyards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Didn't know this either. I know our local graveyard now has a rule that the company doing it must run it by the local parish committee after a small building appeared on a grave one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

That is Local Authority specific I would think.

Certainly not the case in west Limerick; Newcastlewest and Rathkeale graveyards are worth a gawk 😁

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0820/1400656-cork-ironman/

That event in Youghal is cursed.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I wonder will this double tragedy finish it for good? The weather has caused cancellations and postponements a few times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I suspect the organisers will be getting a few solicitors letters...they may have to finish it up for good as id say they may be broke after these tragedies....

I think it's the last year in Youghal,they had it for three years.

2019 was very wet weather with "cold" water in June leading to a very tough event. They missed 20&21 but had good weather last year.

Postponed the half Ironman yesterday, so both were running today.

Youghal has everything going for it; seaside location, historic buildings, Greenway on the way, close to City but it remains a rather depressed place for whatever reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC a large pharma company was a huge employer there till about fifteen years ago and pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Youghal lost a lot of jobs, particularly in the 2000s. The biggest overall sector was textiles / carpets but probably the biggest single closure at the time was the old Kodak facility making DVDs and recordable CDs.

Even with a bypass, the traffic trying to squeeze though the streets doesn't make it very pleasant place to be either.

I don't think so. There was a number of companies in the industrial estate but I don't remember a big pharma company

@Mefistofelino would be the man to ask.

There was to be a large pharma/chemical company near Killeagh which was stopped by local objections.

Cork airport was to be built west of Midelton but a Jack Lynch stroke had it built in that fog infested hill.

i've just see the RTE footage of the start of that race. that's barely surfing conditions, let alone conditions where you'd start a race with a significant sea swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Condolenses to both families, the contestants and the broader community.

Side note: Are boards/triathlon and boards/swimming gone zombie? No mention in either place, or is 'Ironman' some kind of persona non grata? I thought I might read accounts from people who braved the Youghal swim yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was amazed they just carried on after pulling 2 dead competitors from the sea. And yeah the conditions didn't look good from what I saw on the news, but I'm not a sea swimmer so find it difficult to judge.

I'm guessing here but by the time the fatalities were confirmed, many of the competitors would have been out on the bike leg which uses a lot of rural roads so it would have been extremely difficult to stop them on the course and have them ride back to the finish. In theory they may have been able to stop the riders after the first lap (or definitely after the second) and cancel the run but it's not unknown for entrants to die during marathons or large sportives and the event continues anyway.

Not to mention the fact that any unfortunate volunteers who would be given the task of telling competitors that the event was cancelled were likely to get an absolute barrage of abuse. Some entrants may have accepted it in good grace but there will always be a cohort who become absolute bolloxes under such circumstances - look at any of the Everest documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fair enough - I know a guy died on the WW200 last year, though I don't think it was confirmed until after the event.

The radio report I heard yesterday suggested both men had health conditions. I'm not sure what the organisers can do about that, I assume they signed a waiver, but the weather conditions can't have helped.

I suspect that "Ironman" will work very hard to protect the brand.

Meanwhile the lunatics have arrived - there were people on FB commenting on the County Council's message of condolence demanding to know the vaccination status of the two poor unfortunates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Enduro

People die participating in sports regularly. People die regularly... That's one of the few absolute certainties in life. If you have enough people spending enough time participating in sports then its just statisical reality that people will die whilst taking part in a sport (any type of sport). It doesn't necessarily have to be anything directly to do with the sport itself.

And no matter how rough the sea was (and beyond the breaking waves on the bearch it didn't look too bad from what I could see on the short video clip I saw) nobody was forced to take part. I've taken part in a few events which have had high risk situations in them, and knew damn well that the person with primary responsibily for my saferty was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

As above said, once you got past the surf break it wasn't too bad, I did triathlon in a previous life and only recall one event when the swim was iffy and even then they curtailed a 1500m swim down to a 250m swim rather than having a mass bike start. Bar having a medical issue that would cause a blackout or feint, cardiac arrest its very hard to drown in a wetsuit, there's great buyoncy with them. On that basis I could see why the swim went ahead initially and as someone said, very difficult to call an avent like a triathlon off midstream. It's not unusual for cardiac arrests to happen in Marathons and they do not stop either. Condolences to all concerned, families, friends, competitors, organisers ,volunteers and first responders. RIP 🙏

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

These are the 7th and 8th deaths in ironman events this year alone so not sure what protecting they'll need to do.

One was an irishwoman too whi died doing one in France

There is some guff circulating too. Photos allegedly showing extremely high waves breaking at a lighthouse which turns out wasn't even Youghal, or others that have been obviously photoshopped.

Without wishing in any way to detract from the tragic deaths and the responsibilities of the organisers to protect the entrants, almost 2000 people entered the sea on Sunday morning and all except two made it back out again. Now a fatality rate of ~1:1000 isn't acceptable but some of the reports make it sound like the aftermath of the Titanic.

does anyone know where my garmin is? ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Did it fall off the bike, or is it just somewhere in the house?

it's in the house. there's a certain irony in not being able to locate a device whose purpose is pinpointing a position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

What you need is a Garmin for your Garmin 🤔

Advertisement