Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Argon also means "the lazy one", due to its remarkable unwillingness to react with other chemicals. But it sounds kind of cool, and it glows a nice colour.

That must have been why Henry the 8th got rid of your one Catherine of Argon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Here lads. If a CRC order shipped today from Belfast is it likely to arrive in Westmeath tomorrow or Friday (shipped with an post)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Been almost always next day for me. They ship from The Republic so usually next day.
    Unless its Wiggle sourced then no you havent a hope!

koutoubia wrote: »
    Been almost always next day for me. They ship from The Republic so usually next day.
    Unless its Wiggle sourced then no you havent a hope!

Ah nice. No it's CRC stock and all shipped in one go today via an post so hopefully it arrives tomorrow. Long overdue saddle replacement :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

And CRC stuff I have gotten has been quick delivery

One time I got something from rose bikes in Germany (ordered Sat, Dispatched Sun) and following the tracker it made it from Germany to Dublin by Monday Evening, it then took An Post till Friday to get it to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I got a few deliveries recently from wiggle within 2 days. Some shock when it arrived in less than 12 days!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boscoirl wrote: »
    And CRC stuff I have gotten has been quick delivery

One time I got something from rose bikes in Germany (ordered Sat, Dispatched Sun) and following the tracker it made it from Germany to Dublin by Monday Evening, it then took An Post till Friday to get it to Limerick.

This happened with my last Rose thing. less than 2 days from Germany to the Depot in Dublin. It went a round 3 different depots over the course of a week until I gave up and collected it when it finally no longer said out for delivery.

They also recently returned a parcel from my sister in Scotland (8 weeks after it was sent) after an apparent attempted delivery to my other sister. They may have attempted to deliver it, but they never left the docket they normally do.

That said, 2 recent bad experiences is mostly outweighed by the years of normal service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Weepsie wrote: »
    This happened with my last Rose thing. less than 2 days from Germany to the Depot in Dublin. It went a round 3 different depots over the course of a week until I gave up and collected it when it finally no longer said out for delivery.

They also recently returned a parcel from my sister in Scotland (8 weeks after it was sent) after an apparent attempted delivery to my other sister. They may have attempted to deliver it, but they never left the docket they normally do.

That said, 2 recent bad experiences is mostly outweighed by the years of normal service

Weird. Got a delivery from Rose Bikes recently sent as a DHL europacket and it was delivered by DHL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone ever come across plans for, or try to build, a home made bike storage rack? possibly easier than trying to jerry rig a bought one into the space available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bp_me wrote: »
    Weird. Got a delivery from Rose Bikes recently sent as a DHL europacket and it was delivered by DHL.

Its been awhile but deliveries from Rose for me where passed onto An Post, and they always left a docket, never even attempted delivery if over a certain size. I worked nights at the time so caught them out on it although I respected the efficiency of it as realistically, home deliveries, a good chance people were not there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

anyone ever come across plans for, or try to build, a home made bike storage rack? possibly easier than trying to jerry rig a bought one into the space available.

There's a few ideas on the instructables site. I've seen one made out of pallets I think.

Got the auld "your item from chain reaction is out for delivery" text from an post at 8am. So now I'm sitting at the table drinking a coffee waiting patiently for it. Working form home today so I'll distract myself for an hour or so putting on the new tyres and saddle and giving them a quick spin to make sure they do the job, because working from home is never productive for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Was on north wall quay and a truck passed me. He had cameras on both sides to view his blind spots. I was impressed. It should be law that in order to drive a truck in Ireland that you have blind spot cameras.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Was on north wall quay and a truck passed me. He had cameras on both sides to view his blind spots. I was impressed. It should be law that in order to drive a truck in Ireland that you have blind spot cameras.

It's a great idea alright. But they also need to look at their unblind spots too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I tested my new commute this morning, I am definitely getting a camera for the commuter. A clown came into the cycle track on Parnell Road, fag in one hand and phone up to the ear with the other. I actually got angry and gave out to her which isn't like me, I normally just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Not strictly home made, but I use a couple of Stolmen poles from Ikea to suspend two bikes: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93896524

Could be made to work with just one of those poles too, probably, but using two gives more peace of mind.

Edit: Definitely can work with just one of the poles, as demonstrated by a poster in the thread, I'd forgotten that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - as we've five bikes to store, this is the option i may go for - have some hooks, but they'll need more padding, they're not specific for bikes and are mainly bare metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9NGzNWb_rQ

That's a good option. But now that I've watched it I want his mitre saw station, and his table saw, so you've made me very sad.

(Incidentally, that french cleat approach to hanging pretty much anything is great, I've used it for small things to big heavy things and it has been consistently robust and reliable. I cut mine with a circular saw but I had a good cutting guide and cut it on a sacrificial cutting "table", without those it could be quite tricky to do it safely).

i'm terribly afraid of table saws (from someone who owns a chainsaw, which i'm also very scared of).

Yeah, there are some shocking statistics on the number of injuries and deaths caused by (mis)use of table saws. I've only ever seen the US figures cited mind you, but I do wonder how many people are careful enough around even the less beefy bench saw variant commonly used in this country.

And even experience and a practiced approach to safety isn't always enough if you are particularly unlucky. I recall reading of one experienced guy who made an uncharacteristic mistake by standing to the offcut side of the blade while feeding the wood against the blade, the back of the blade caught the sliver of offcut and fired it straight back at him like an arrow. And with such force that he was basically skewered through the torso. He survived, amazingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cheers - as we've five bikes to store, this is the option i may go for - have some hooks, but they'll need more padding, they're not specific for bikes and are mainly bare metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9NGzNWb_rQ
    B & Q sell the bike specific hooks with padding (but the padding tends to tear after a while).

I have 5 bikes on hooks. Unlike the chap in the link, I mounted the hooks as high as possible to leave approx 1 meter of space under them for other things. I just mounted the hooks straight into the wall - didn't occur to me to use a length of wood.

i got some generic hooks for 90c each in homebase, but i can wrap them in leftover bar tape to cushion them. mine will be mounted on a block wall, so i'll need the 2x4.

I just mounted the hooks straight into the wall - didn't occur to me to use a length of wood.

Only necessary to use a length of wood to mount if 1) you're worried about keeping them perfexrly level and 2) if you're mounting them onto a dry wall / plasterboard. If you're drilling into masonry you've no need as you're not worried about trying to find studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What app is best used for uploading photos to Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

dahat wrote: »
    What app is best used for uploading photos to Boards?
    I find imgur the best place to host at the moment. I've not used their app though, just the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... If you're drilling into masonry you've no need as you're not worried about trying to find studs.
    Yes, but I think it would probably look better.

Stopped at the lights this evening in the car and spotted a group of about 10 or on bikes. Hard to miss with their lights, looked to be a training spin for juniors coming in to town from Donore. At first put a smile on my face then I realised the little so and so's all had better bikes than me :mad:

Only necessary to use a length of wood to mount if 1) you're worried about keeping them perfexrly level and 2) if you're mounting them onto a dry wall / plasterboard. If you're drilling into masonry you've no need as you're not worried about trying to find studs.
    but do they sell wall plugs to fit the bike hook screw size?

but do they sell wall plugs to fit the bike hook screw size?

I'd imagine so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Thud wrote: »
    Had a look yesterday evening, looks like a standard 15mm pedal wrench will work

It did indeed, thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Advertisement