Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Not sure where to put this but came upon the aftermath of a collision this morning (8am ish) at the Church on Aungier Street between motorist and cyclist. Ambulance and loads of Guards on the scene. No sign of the cyclist but the bike was crushed under the two front wheels of the SUV.

Its a really nasty junction there with cars coming out of the side road after the church, especially as the cycle lane is usually full of parked up cars/taxis. Its a part of my commute I really hate.

It was awful to see and I hope everyone is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    It did indeed, thanks for putting my mind at rest.

You doing some undercover maintenance? Or swapping out the pedals for Looks for your journey?

:-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

joint fundraiser for DCC and Bicycle Colorado, as Glass Animals had been due to play in Denver at a bike festival there:
    When Joe Seaward of the Glass Animals was hit by the driver of a truck in Dublin while riding his bike, their band was forced to cancel their tour including a stop at the Colorado Classic's bicycling festival Velorama in Denver.

The music world was saddened by the news and partnered with the bicycling advocacy world to help bring about positive change out of this life-changing event. And so, across an ocean and some significant land mass, the Denver to Dublin Bicycle Safety Campaign was born.

Bicycle Colorado has been working to provide safe conditions for bicyclists in Colorado and Denver since 1992. The Dublin Cycling Campaign has been working to improve the city of Dublin for bicyclists since 1993. Together, they've been working to make your rides safe and fun for more than 50 years.
    https://www.ioby.org/project/denver-dublin-average-joe-cycling-fund

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

i got some generic hooks for 90c each in homebase, but i can wrap them in leftover bar tape to cushion them. mine will be mounted on a block wall, so i'll need the 2x4.

I find that grey pipe insulation stuff is great for this too.

I was tempted by one of these for the shed https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-lift-pulley-system

Could be handy for maintenance too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Vel wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this but came upon the aftermath of a collision this morning (8am ish) at the Church on Aungier Street between motorist and cyclist. Ambulance and loads of Guards on the scene. No sign of the cyclist but the bike was crushed under the two front wheels of the SUV.

Its a really nasty junction there with cars coming out of the side road after the church, especially as the cycle lane is usually full of parked up cars/taxis. Its a part of my commute I really hate.

Apparently the cyclist suffered multiple leg fractures, was posted about in the near miss thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

VW 1 wrote: »
    Apparently the cyclist suffered multiple leg fractures, was posted about in the near miss thread.

That's a different incident in the on the Quays by the IFSC

Have the Arctic Race of Norway on here, jaw is always on the floor with the scenery on show during this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Vel wrote: »

Where's there a church on Aungier Street?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Where's there a church on Aungier Street?

I'm assuming it's whitefriar street. The church kind of backs onto Aungier Street

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's whitefriar street. The church kind of backs onto Aungier Street

Ahh. Nasty junction, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Sitting watching planes at Dublin airport with the young lad and a man in a shirt and trousers cycling a dublin bike just pulled up. Different! Cant think where the closest station to here would be, phibsborough maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen a chap cycle out there on a DB with a DSLR with a big lens in the basket, to take photos of planes.

If you're drilling into masonry you've no need as you're not worried about trying to find studs.
    five hooks installed, two masonry bits wrecked. the walls in my garage are apparently made out of unobtanium.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-truck-crash-glass-animals/

an update on how joe seaward - the drummer from glass animals - has been getting on with his recovery. sounds like he's very lucky to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

five hooks installed, two masonry bits wrecked. the walls in my garage are apparently made out of unobtanium.
    Use a much smaller masonry bit first to drill a pilot hole before using the correct size.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had to advise a guy today to put his chamois cream on inside the shorts, external chamois cream not a good sight on the coffee shop seat!!!!

Use a much smaller masonry bit first to drill a pilot hole before using the correct size.
    oh, i was doing that. 3mm to 4mm to 6mm.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-truck-crash-glass-animals/

an update on how joe seaward - the drummer from glass animals - has been getting on with his recovery. sounds like he's very lucky to be alive.

Depends on what you think of as 'lucky':
    left with a fractured skull and brain injury after the incident on July 2nd…

Seaward sustained a broken leg, though his head injuries were of most concern. He became entangled with the truck’s trailer…

“The neurosurgery consisted of reshaping part of his skull that had collapsed and been compressed into the brain by the weight of the truck’s trailer,” the band said.

“The operation was successful, but the collapsed skull had bruised and damaged the area of the brain responsible for speech…"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

oh, i was doing that. 3mm to 4mm to 6mm.

With decent bits there should be no need. Go straight to the size needed with masonry. Only real need to do some sort of pilot is to stop the bit wandering but it doesnt need to be deep at all.

• Advertisement

have been having trouble with activities in garmin not syncing across to strava recently, to the point where i sometimes record them on the phone too as backup. same again this evening, but the garmin backend seemed glitchy - after uploading the ride, i was unable to view it in garmin express or garmin connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Apparently SI 321/2018 will clarify the "contested" section of SI 332/2012 around cyclists not being required to use cycle lanes, and aligning the legislation more clearly with the explanatory note that was a part of SI 332/2012: https://www.facebook.com/cyclist.ie/photos/a.306105642799565/1815124695230978/?type=3

39468433_1815124701897644_388132243169607680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=416197e794abe22ca9bdf2775d72d241&oe=5C069747

so i've been getting used to the new bike (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107768031&postcount=23) and have come up with one or two issues i had not expected, compared to my narrow tubed steel bike i've been using.
    the bleeding thing blew over in the wind. no damage bar a few scuffs, but the couple of kilos weight difference, and the much wider tube sections (especially viewed from the side) were probably mainly to blame.
    and the top of the top tube is flat. no harm there, you'd think, except that when you sweat onto it, it doesn't tend to roll off the top of the tube and out of the way. so by the time you get home (especially in the recent weather), the top tube is covered in dusty sweat trails.

God that ^ reminds me of my own steerer tube. I've been riding around with mine like that with about 2cm of excess for ohhhhh 18 months or so :o

Leave it or have it cut?? It's unsightly but I guess I've rode around this long I could leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

so i've been getting used to the new bike (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107768031&postcount=23) and have come up with one or two issues i had not expected, compared to my narrow tubed steel bike i've been using.
    the bleeding thing blew over in the wind. no damage bar a few scuffs, but the couple of kilos weight difference, and the much wider tube sections (especially viewed from the side) were probably mainly to blame.
    and the top of the top tube is flat. no harm there, you'd think, except that when you sweat onto it, it doesn't tend to roll off the top of the tube and out of the way. so by the time you get home (especially in the recent weather), the top tube is covered in dusty sweat trails.

I hadn't seen that, very nice machine indeed. I applied a really good wax to my bike and a splash of a hose nearly has it spotless again. Coming up on needing it reapplied now but a coat will last 6 months or more if done properly

http://www.detailingshed.com/waxes/56-chemical-guys-pete-s-53.html

That's the one I used and it's smashing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Article in Indo about battling Luas Tracks- link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Nice bar tape - what is it?

it's bontrager tape, catalyst orange i think it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

39504855_10156177768699442_1021357031308656640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=496fa5d86391aff3cbd4012a04e6c8ed&oe=5C06A064

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

dinneenp wrote: »
    Article in Indo about battling Luas Tracks- link

It's a really poor article. Journalist rides a DB and it becomes news. :rolleyes:

Advertisement