Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jesus... How many times can you fall on tracks? Cross then at 90degrees only... Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mloc123 wrote: »
    Jesus... How many times can you fall on tracks? Cross then at 90degrees only... Simple.
    To be fair, it's not always that simple. Sometimes the tracks cross the lane you're in at a weird angle, so crossing the tracks at 90 degrees means that you have to be at odds to the traffic.

Also waiting to take a left or right turn across tracks is going to be tricky. If you want to do it quickly, then you have to sit at right-angles to the traffic flow and wait for your gap. Otherwise you have to sit parallel to the track and then try and turn 90 degrees before going over them. I can see why a novice would find it very daunting/difficult.

Though in this article, she claims that tyres getting stuck in tracks is a constant problem, so you'd have to ask WTF she's doing to find herself getting caught in the tracks all the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also the fact that she thought that all cyclists are angry and ready to curse, and after a few months cycling didn't notice that it wasn't true, just she felt it was understandable. Although not one reason she gave related to a justifiable reason to flip someone off. I suspect, she didn't actually do any of the things she claims to have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Guested with a group of Gorey Cc last Sat , heading for Tinnahely we were 2 abreast on a winding road which had a continuous white line down middle of road. A small Hyundai proceeded to overtake us, whilst mandatory it seems beeping horn. She ended up totally on wrong side of road, fiddling with gear stick with traffic approaching her... what I didn't realise was that the guy on my inside is a current serving garda who Instantly called out her reg plate to memorise it and told us she would get a visit and a caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well I seem to have fairly mangled my elbow.

Negatives: No bike for 6 weeks and no funky painkillers

Positives: I can still open a beer and have appeared to have shocked the staff in the Mater at the height of my pain threshold

In for surgery on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ouch, how did that happen? Is it your good hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

dahat wrote: »
    Ouch, how did that happen? Is it your good hand?

Clipped a wheel @40kmph and the drinking hand is unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

P_1 wrote: »
    Clipped a wheel @40kmph and the drinking hand is unaffected

Maximum damage for minimum impact, hope the recovery goes well and enjoy the pints!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P_1 wrote: »
    Positives: I can still open a beer and have appeared to have shocked the staff in the Mater at the height of my pain threshold
    silver lining - they allow beer in the mater!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just discovered the new job don't have showers...pre-work spins will now mean getting home to shower early enough and then crossing the city centre to work.

Ulp...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just discovered the new job don't have showers...pre-work spins will now mean getting home to shower early enough and then crossing the city centre to work.

Ulp...

lynx is your friend

#Showerinacan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ulp...

That your way of saying you got the job? :)

Congrats anyway

RobFowl wrote: »
    lynx is your friend

#Showerinacan

It's different for us Roadies Rob. I won't have just gotten out of the water

It's different for us Roadies Rob. I won't have just gotten out of the water

Babywipes. Job done. There is a reason the worlds oldest profession use them for quick turnaround times :eek:

CramCycle wrote: »
    Babywipes. Job done. There is a reason the worlds oldest profession use them for quick turnaround times :eek:

Not sure baby wipes can compete with a Singlespeed blatt to Howth/Bray/Maynooth and back.

Bearing in mind that given my propensity for sweating I'll probably need them after the few K from home to the office

I'd continue to sweat even after I'd got off the bike for a bit so babywipes etc no good for me either initially. A tip someone gave me in a place I used to work without a shower was to run the cold tap and put my wrists under it to aid with cooling down faster. Worked well for me I'd cooled down in a few minutes and stopped sweating and could use wipes (antibacterial ones) to good effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CramCycle wrote: »

I will bow to your greater experience on this ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

mloc123 wrote: »

Or avoid the roads that have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

5347_9bbe_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Not sure baby wipes can compete with a Singlespeed blatt to Howth/Bray/Maynooth and back.

Bearing in mind that given my propensity for sweating I'll probably need them after the few K from home to the office

I have showers in work but tend not to bother. Granted only a 7.5k commute.

I shower at home, cycle in (at an easy pace). Then i cool down at my desk for 5-15 minutes or so, with a fan blowing on me. baby wipes under the arm and other high risk areas. Change of clothes, including fresh socks, underwear and everything else. Back into cycling clothes for teh way home where I will shower again.

If you have showered that morning you are dealing with fresh sweat, not a build up of smelly bacteria from sweat over a period of time. Baby wipes are fine to deal with that, especially if you are not keeping on clothes that you have been sweating into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Another perspective from a different place.
    https://medium.com/@nkkl/ride-like-a-girl-1d5524e25d3a

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have heard that argument forwarded before, that's a well-put together version.

and interesting to see an image of a dublin taxi driver staring at a stricken cyclist in an article written by an american...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Another perspective from a different place.
    https://medium.com/@nkkl/ride-like-a-girl-1d5524e25d3a

"Ever wanted to know what it’s like to be a woman? Go get your bike....Welcome to being vulnerable to the people around you. Welcome to being the exception, not the rule. Welcome to not being in charge."

I don't feel like that on a bike. So either women are a bunch of whiney snowflakes or it's a bollocks* analogy.

w.r.t that other piece, sending a previously non-cycling reporter out on to the roads in order to report that it's a bit scary is also bollocks. Sure, if you did that with a learner driver it'd be the same.

Urban cycling is fun, stress-free experience for many people. It'd be nice to read that a bit, but it'd probably be written off as smugness.

* I'm aware of the irony of my adjective choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Heads up for anyone planning cycling into the city on Saturday. Your pagan form of transport is not welcome to be parked at bike racks, the council have put up signs to that effect

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/08/22/papistry/

Hurrache wrote: »
    Heads up for anyone planning cycling into the city on Saturday. Your pagan form of transport is not welcome to be parked at bike racks, the council have put up signs to that effect

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/08/22/papistry/

Weird there is no Garda or DCC stamp on them. Aside from the pointlessness of this exercise, the more skeptical me it suspect that it is a clever n'er do well who will lift a few 100 bikes with no objection. Like the lads in Dundrum who used to roll up in Hi Vis at the council car park and no one questioned them as they looked like council workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Good point, I noticed the lack of creast earlier when I read the story and at the time Googled if there was anything on the council's news section of their website and saw nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a parade on the Saturday, so it's probably much like Paddy's Day, they don't want the "safety hazard" of bikes on the parade route.

Probably still work getting a comment from DCC though to make sure it's legit...

seamus wrote: »
    There's a parade on the Saturday, so it's probably much like Paddy's Day, they don't want the "safety hazard" of bikes on the parade route.

Probably still work getting a comment from DCC though to make sure it's legit...

I just thought they may struggle with the man power and have hired in outside contractors to clear the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I hope this isn't a spoiler as the stage wasn't televised...

Eddie Dunbar got 9th in stage 7 of L'Avenir today. Only 35 km long but two proper mountains. Stage dominated by Colombian team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Caught Liz O'Donnell on the radio earlier discussing back-to-school road safety.

* hi-viz for pedestrians - check!
    * hi-viz for cyclists - check!
    * helmets for cyclists - check!
    * helmets for car drivers and passengers... nope
    * pedestrians should know the dangers of the road - check!
    * drivers... make sure your passengers are restrained properly! But don't mind about taking extra care or not parking illegally/improperly/dangerously outside schools, be grand! - check!

Advertisement