Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Eurosport Player app is doing my head in, I can watch and cast from my laptop. I can watch on my phone but when when I go to cast from the phone it brings up a subscription screen and/or the telly shows 'update app' which there doesn't appear to be any on the play store. re-installed but no joy grrrrr

I got that last week a few times, log out and back in and reboot the phone.

Today the TV told me an update was required so I updated the phone app and had no issues. They aren't listing the uninterrupted feed for la vuelta though so mucho ads :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are you on Apple or Android?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Surprised they only did 4 people.

Token gesture is all that was.

Are you on Apple or Android?

Android here.

EDIT: ES App version 6.2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks for that, mine is still 6.1, tried updating via laptop but still on the old ver.

EDIT I restarted the phone again and it found the update

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eurosport Player app is doing my head in, I can watch and cast from my laptop. I can watch on my phone but when when I go to cast from the phone it brings up a subscription screen and/or the telly shows 'update app' which there doesn't appear to be any on the play store. re-installed but no joy grrrrr
    I do find I sometimes have to log out and log back in again, or shut down and reopen the App, but I'm not finding it as flaky as it used to be. If it doesn't bring up viewing options within 30 seconds, I shut it down and re open and it generally works fine for me. Casting via Chromecast then (further than the recommended distance between phone/ TV/ Router).

The lights for night riding/ dynamo thread has me interested, but realising the set up would be worth more than my current commuter. What's too good a bike to leave in a work carpark, with a Kryptonite New York Standard lock (and probably a secondary lock)? A couple of year old aluminium btw limit bike too much of risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I find myself fascinated with the Ribble CGR Titanium despite the warnings about cheap Titanium...it just looks real nice.

But the internet is stubbornly refusing to review it...just the usual "Oh my good bike costs €70k but I'm a clydesdale so I commute on this Titanium Ultegra Di2 Piece of Sh!t and it's grand" forum posts.

Bikeradar have one for testing but no sign of a review

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Id wait to the review but I would not have called them cheap, they are on par with most other suppliers, bar the very snob branded ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The lights for night riding/ dynamo thread has me interested, but realising the set up would be worth more than my current commuter. What's too good a bike to leave in a work carpark, with a Kryptonite New York Standard lock (and probably a secondary lock)? A couple of year old aluminium btw limit bike too much of risk?

I set up my son's bike for around €120 all in. Good front light, rear light including brake light and dynamo wheel. Lights, Wheels...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I set up my son's bike for around €120 all in. Good front light, rear light including brake light and dynamo wheel. Lights, Wheels...
    Buying a built wheel, which is what I'd have to do? But still even at that cost it wouldn't be far off tbh (and need new rims for the commuter at somepoint too).

If I convince myself it'd be safe, the winter bike would become the commuter too, and I haven't ruled out audax. So those pedelec standard rims might be a bit extreme/ heavy for a winter club spin? I'll be looking for country lane standard lights to potentially extend the commute.

Was looking at some others, but they were Shimano DH-3D32?

Yep, built wheel. Only got a front for that application but if your commuter needs new rims, the touring wheelset looks ideal. It even includes disc hubs so you can transfer to another bike later from the future-proofing point of view. Unless you're actually racing, they'd be fine for a club spin.

The extra €15 for the cyo premium light is well spent and, you'd have the whole kit for €210 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wild Atlantic Way sportive cancelled for September and only 2 weeks out. Circumstances beyond their control cited on the Facebook announcement. I'm sure details will emerge soon but that's a crying shame

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

P_1 wrote: »
    Wild Atlantic Way sportive cancelled for September and only 2 weeks out. Circumstances beyond their control cited on the Facebook announcement. I'm sure details will emerge soon but that's a crying shame

Maybe few and far signing up. The 2 for 1 stage offer suggests that. It's a bad time of year for lots of people with schools back.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Yep, built wheel. Only got a front for that application but if your commuter needs new rims
    It's actually the other way round - commuter is calipers, winter road bike is (mechanical) disc. Food for thought at the moment. I assume no issues with 28" as opposed to 700c either way? Also 11 speed cassette, on those that state 7/8/9/10 speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Maybe few and far signing up. The 2 for 1 stage offer suggests that. It's a bad time of year for lots of people with schools back.

Who can afford to take that amount of time off work and spend that amount of money on a leisure event?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Should be ok, so long as you lock it to something like a Sheffield stand. I'd go for the secondary lock alright. These days I tend to lock the rear wheel in the Sheldon Brown style with a Series 2, and the frame with a Fahgettaboudit mini. Has served me well for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Too good to be true? Gardai seem to finally be tackling parking in cycle lanes, two days in a row now! They seem to be surprised at how prolific it is though, as though it hasn't been staring them in the face for the past how many years?

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1034441826084765696

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Should be ok, so long as you lock it to something like a Sheffield stand. I'd go for the secondary lock alright. These days I tend to lock the rear wheel in the Sheldon Brown style with a Series 2, and the frame with a Fahgettaboudit mini. Has served me well for many years.
    I never thought of sheldon for locking the bike. It's to one of the wheel stand things, generally packed, so even if it's not ideal there normally isn't loads of room for someone to work.

• Advertisement

It's actually the other way round - commuter is calipers, winter road bike is (mechanical) disc. Food for thought at the moment. I assume no issues with 28" as opposed to 700c either way? Also 11 speed cassette, on those that state 7/8/9/10 speed?

All that's a caveat emptor. Disc rims have no braking surface, dunno about 11-sp but I understand 28" and 700c to be the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cav taking an indefinite break from cycling due to him having Epstein-Barr virus. Now may be a good time for Sky to pick him up and work their miracles they've done with sick cyclists with viruses and he'll return next year to pick up a few grand tour wins.

Joking aside, best of health to him, some may not like his character but at least he brought us some entertainment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45340482

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

buffalo wrote: »
    Who can afford to take that amount of time off work and spend that amount of money on a leisure event?

Old people... this must be aimed at the recently retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

mloc123 wrote: »
    Old people... this must be aimed at the recently retired?

I presumed it was aimed at cycling-tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I never thought of sheldon for locking the bike. It's to one of the wheel stand things, generally packed, so even if it's not ideal there normally isn't loads of room for someone to work.

This sort of thing?
    5-Bike-Single-Sided-Bike-Rack.jpg

They can be a little tricky. If you go in handlebars first you end up locking only the front wheel to the stand. If this is the case at the very least get a security skewer for the front wheel or you might need three locks: front wheel to stand, front wheel to frame and, of course, something to lock the rear wheel to the frame.

If you can get the rear wheel into the stand, you can sometimes lock both the frame and rear wheel with one lock.

Definitely make sure both wheels are secured in some way. The only bike-related thing I've ever had stolen is a front wheel and I didn't leave the bike for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Work has bought a watt bike for the “gym”

Pretty sure it’s ant+, once they fix the showers I might start getting to work on time :D

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Work has bought a watt bike for the “gym”

Pretty sure it’s ant+, once they fix the showers I might start getting to work on time :D

There is an app for them on google and apple stores. All I know about them is they look like a spin bike with drops and/or TT bars but I suspect they have way more going for them.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This sort of thing?
    Yes, that's them. I generally go in back wheel and chain lock (on the commuter) through the chainstays. And then a separate (crap) lock through the front wheel and frame. I have the Kryptonite New York with cable for when I'm off site. I was thinking about it on the way in that I actually still think a separate commuter is the way to stay. I'm not sure I'd lug marathon plus tyres and the pannier rack around a club spin!
    Boscoirl wrote:
    Pretty sure it’s ant+, once they fix the showers I might start getting to work on time
    They're bluetooth and ant+. I used to use one in a gym with TrainerRoad and Ant+ on my phone. I did find it dropped out a bit with bluetooth - it tended to happen when people walked past, so I presumed due to them having bluetooth on too.
    I'm on Android, and an OTG cable for a couple of quid from ebay, dongle, and then download I think ANT radio service in the play store, and then it keeps prompting you what you need to install next Ant app you need.
    Unless it's the Wattbike Atom, it's wont be "Smart"/ have erg mode though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know it's nowt to do with cycling, and would be shoehorning it in if i tried to post it in one of the threads about nutrition, but here's some commentary on the recent news stories about the study claiming there's no safe level of drinking alcohol:
    For each set of 100,000 people who have one drink a day per year, 918 can expect to experience one of the 23 alcohol-related problems in any year. Of those who drink nothing, 914 can expect to experience a problem. This means that 99,082 are unaffected, and 914 will have an issue no matter what. Only 4 in 100,000 people who consume a drink a day may have a problem caused by the drinking, according to this study.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/upshot/alcohol-health-risks-study-worry.html

Advertisement