Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Decent info in this post from Jamie Blanchfield on what it takes to get round a Tour de L'Avenir Stage in the top 5 http://premierendurance.ie/file-analysis-what-it-takes-to-earn-a-top-5-at-tour-de-lavenir/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    My Peugeot has Reynolds 653 tubing and was, for the time, a pretty lightweight frame, with racing geometry. It's at it's limit with Continental Grand Prix 4000s 23mm.

Contis tend to run wider so GP4000S II 23mm is probably not far off 25mm in most other brands

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finished my s/s MTB update project, (riser bars, hydraulic brakes, chain tugs, smaller chainring, XT wheels with 2.35" tyres) and am already itching for another (maybe I should do a winter service on my road bike instead...).

Now I have a sudden hunger to do up an old road bike as a winter /commuter with decent modern wheels, the biggest possible tyres, refreshed cables and brake pads and maybe new finishing kit.

Where would be the best place to keep any eye out for a frameset/bike i.e. a 90s, Viking/peugeot type, maybe a mixte.

No pressure, just idly hunting for something to spend time building over the next 6 months.

Not quite that old, but I've still got my 2006ish Aravis frame sitting about. Needs new forks though. Contemplating doing something similar with, might be good practice before I build up a Genesis tour de fer, but it's also just sitting there unhappy and unused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw this retweeted by another boardsie:

https://twitter.com/FamilyByCycle/status/1036272225714888704

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Jasmijn Müller is attempting to break the women's LEJOG record. She started yesterday morning at 5am.

Her progress is here.https://www.lejogrecord.co.uk/live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I've just spent the last few months building Nissan a new Parts Centre for Ireland, and moving all the stock from the previous one. 5,000 sqm into 3,200 sqm.

I'm knackered, probably beyond exhausted.

I can't wait to get back on the bike :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've a sore toe and some bruised shins. Been minding our 8 month old niece who is mobile now over the weekend and came down this morning in bare feet and had her fly across the tiles in her walker and crash right into me.

An idea for some kind of Vuelta la back garden out the back involving my own 2 and herself and the dog formed in my mind but was quickly shot down by my partner :(

Dog would have needed a TUE anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've a sore toe and some bruised shins. Been minding our 8 month old niece who is mobile now over the weekend and came down this morning in bare feet and had her fly across the tiles in her walker and crash right into me.

An idea for some kind of Vuelta la back garden out the back involving my own 2 and herself and the dog formed in my mind but was quickly shot down by my partner :(

Dog would have needed a TUE anyway.

I still believe you can make it so.
    And share the video with us all :D

I used to be a demon on them as a young one. There are still lumps out of all the architraves on the doors at home from me whizzing into them. The niece might have racing potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Jasmijn Müller is attempting to break the women's LEJOG record. She started yesterday morning at 5am.

Her progress is here.https://www.lejogrecord.co.uk/live

She had to abandon the attempt after 44 hours, citing exhaustion.

(I hadn't realised what a smashing flat-back position she has on a TT bike - very Moser-esque)
    4fd6cd_4232fefefb21421db6750a3656864fc0~mv2_d_4152_2986_s_4_2.webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

For a myriad of reasons I've had to abandon my planned Lejog also.. although we were giving 10-14 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tour of Britain giant bike rearranged into huge hillside penis
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/tour-britain-bike-penis/

i reckon this probably doesn't belong in 'journalism and cycling'.

There were 5 guys in speedos running up that hill along side the riders the other day and it wasn't exactly speedo weather out :D

buffalo wrote: »
    I know a few have commented recently about Strava issues. The site has definitely hit some sort of threshold in terms of time it takes to do anything, from upload via Garmin Connect or change an activity type.
    i am 90% convinced that my yearly total as of llast night was 18km more than it is this morning, after me doing a 20km commute this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

i am 90% convinced that my yearly total as of llast night was 18km more than it is this morning, after me doing a 20km commute this morning.

It's backwards, you're going.

feels that way sometimes...

there's a competition to win a bike in the building today, they've set up a single speed on a turbo at reception. i've just been knocked into sixth place by one one hundredth of a second. it's bloody tough going, the gearing is very low so it's like a washing machine on spin cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

there's a competition to win a bike in the building today, they've set up a single speed on a turbo at reception. i've just been knocked into sixth place by one one hundredth of a second. it's bloody tough going, the gearing is very low so it's like a washing machine on spin cycle.

I lost one of those competitions in work two years ago, 2nd place, still unhappy. We agreed not to change the gears on it. I seen him change gears half way through as he tired out, I was (and clearly still am) disgusted.

I don't hold a grudge, I swear.

Where is this building and can anyone just walk in and try?! #legspeed

not the usual DCC (dublin cycling campaign - not dublin city council, nor dunshaughlin cycling club) talk:
    https://www.dublincycling.com/events/cycling-south-dublin-and-wicklow-great-road-routes-ian-oriordan
    Dublin Cycling Campaign is delighted to welcome sports journalist and author Ian O’Riordan to address our public meeting on Monday 10th September at 7pm.

Ian has been a sports reporter with The Irish Times for 20 years. He also ran for Ireland as a junior, spent four years on a running scholarship in America and has run several marathons, including Athens, New York and Honolulu. He first took to road cycling in 2006 and has since ridden several major road routes throughout Europe, including the famous Alpine stages from Geneva to Nice. He lives in Glencullen, on the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains border.

Ian is the author of the recently published book Cycling South Dublin and Wicklow and will address a Dublin Cycling Campaign audience on his journeys and meanderings by bike in the Dublin - Wicklow mountains and beyond. He will, no doubt, offer his reflections on wider sports, cultural and social issues, crystallised on his long meditative cycles through the hills. Ian’s book will be available on the night at a reduced price and with a free signature provided!

Please arrive early to be guaranteed a seat! And note that we will retire to the lovely Library Bar after the talk. All welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Didn't know where else to put it, but terrible to hear about this today: http://www.the42.ie/kristina-vogel-olympic-cycling-accident-paralysed-4224958-Sep2018/

27 years old, and from olympic gold 2 years ago and world championships along the way to paralysis following a crash while training :(

cython wrote: »
    Didn't know where else to put it, but terrible to hear about this today: http://www.the42.ie/kristina-vogel-olympic-cycling-accident-paralysed-4224958-Sep2018/

27 years old, and from olympic gold 2 years ago and world championships along the way to paralysis following a crash while training :(

Yeah horrific. Mentioned it here before, it's better news than initially feared, but still absolutely horrendous. 11 world titles too, she's been the fastest woman in the world for several years now. And after surviving a near fatal crash in 2009 too.
    Such a tough, tough person. And seems so lovely too.
    If anyone can make the best of it is her, unbelievably shyte though it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

and two of his team left hours later (not sure if connected to his appearance) and shares have dropped 6%.

and two of his team left hours later (not sure if connected to his appearance) and shares have dropped 6%.
    I think one of those who left saw the books. I think he doesn't have much financial road ahead, as things are going.

Bricks-and-mortar shops in Dublin that sell Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Long Shackle locks?

I.e this one:
    001027.jpg

I had a look in Think Bike in Rathmines for the long-shackle Series 4, but they only seemed to have the standard length one. Anyone know off-hand if any shops have the long-shackle version ready to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Is there such a thing as a Bluetooth cadence sensor that will automatically start Strava (or whatever) to record my ride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is there such a thing as a Bluetooth cadence sensor that will automatically start Strava (or whatever) to record my ride?

I've experimented with NFC stickers and Tasker on Android for this purpose. It just about works, but they need a flat surface which my bike lacked, and thick phone cases tend to make it harder still.

Advertisement