Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

4 weeks after the crash, the cast comes off and I can finally get back on the bike! Looking forward to being less morose and argumentative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

P_1 wrote: »
    4 weeks after the crash, the cast comes off and I can finally get back on the bike! Looking forward to being less morose and argumentative

So are we! :pac: Hopefully you have little to no residual pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

To answer my own question, Hollingsworth Cycles in Kilmacud stock the Series 4 Long Shackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Are the See Sense lights worth the hefty price of 125 for front n rear?

I have been behind the rear light and it's pretty impressive but the front I've not seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Are the See Sense lights worth the hefty price of 125 for front n rear?

I have been behind the rear light and it's pretty impressive but the front I've not seen.

I can't say but what I can say is, you can get as powerful lights for less, and I say this as someone who has spent near that on lights in the past.

What are you using the lights for? Country night cycling, commuting, mountain biking etc. etc.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I can't say but what I can say is, you can get as powerful lights for less, and I say this as someone who has spent near that on lights in the past.

What are you using the lights for? Country night cycling, commuting, mountain biking etc. etc.

Short commute plus a good rear light for Sunday club spins in Autumn /Winter.

I have 2 front Aldi lights which are pretty good tbh so it's a rear light needed really I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Short commute plus a good rear light for Sunday club spins in Autumn /Winter.

I have 2 front Aldi lights which are pretty good tbh so it's a rear light needed really I suppose.

Liek I said, I haven't got one but going by reviews, if I was shining that in my clubmates face on a spin, I'd probably get thrown out of the club spin. Maybe it has a lower setting. I gave an Aldi rear light to an office mate and that seems to be grand. Looked like a copy of the Lezyne rechargable lights

Aldi winter gear surely due soon so they might have similar this year.

Valid point about the brightness but I'm fairly sure they have variable settings plus it reacts to cars etc that come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

CramCycle wrote: »
    if I was shining that in my clubmates face on a spin, I'd probably get thrown out of the club spin. Maybe it has a lower setting.

The power output is adjustable from 10-100% via an app

Very happy with my Icon + (rear only)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been seeing signs up for project edward - European Day Without a Road Death. a noble cause, we can all agree.

i think we need one for the sporty minded too - i suggest project Beasty. Biannual European Accident Safe Track Year.

• Advertisement

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

checked strava this morning after my commute in. for the second time in the last week or two, i thought to myself 'i'm sure i have racked up more in the last week' when looking at my yearly total - it hadn't incremented by the level i was expecting (i was expecting to break 4k by sunday, based on my expected spins - but now, they wouldn't get me over that 4k).

anyway, strava is claiming a 2018 total of 3,921km.
    however, i got the calculator out and added up all the weekly totals since the 1st jan - and that's saying 4,234km.

i'm fairly convinced now that strava occasionally does not add rides to the yearly total.

aha - clicking 'refresh stats' on the main profile page has updated it successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anybody have any good recommendations for stylish (:pac:) winter socks?

My feet can get quite cold so warmth is the main criteria. I prefer thick-ish socks than thin socks. I have one pair of Merino wool socks that I quite like but they have seen better days.

Larry Warbasse ex AquaBlue has signed for AG2R

https://twitter.com/AG2RLMCyclisme/status/1040278137391775745

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anybody have any good recommendations for stylish (:pac:) winter socks?....
    Each to their own but if they are going to be covered by tights/leg warmers and over shoes, does it matter whether they are stylish or not! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Each to their own but if they are going to be covered by tights/leg warmers and over shoes, does it matter whether they are stylish or not! :p

It's like underwear. Even though it's only and usually one other person that sees it doesn't make it any less of a consideration ;)
    It's the most aesthetically considered part of my daily dress, I'm sure most are the same.
    Secret personal nice is nice.

should i admit that nearly all my cycling socks were bought in aldi/lidl/decathlon and are garish acid yellow or green?
    and that i wear them pulled up over my leggings?

done so in mind of the advice that human eyes are suited to spot biomechanical motion, and these are regularly used on the commute during dark winter mornings and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

should i admit that nearly all my cycling socks were bought in aldi/lidl/decathlon and are garish acid yellow or green?
    and that i wear them pulled up over my leggings?

done so in mind of the advice that human eyes are suited to spot biomechanical motion, and these are regularly used on the commute during dark winter mornings and evenings.

I find the Aldi socks the most comfortable I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thud

My feet can get quite cold so warmth is the main criteria. I prefer thick-ish socks than thin socks. I have one pair of Merino wool socks that I quite like but they have seen better days.

Stylish and warm :D
    https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/defeet-woolie-boolie-baaad-sheep-4-sock-EV288515?esvt=55270-GOIEE3485952&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1267040-1&esvcrea=196154449870&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=pla-303622944881&esvo=EV288515-M-PNK&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjO3zuYC63QIVQ7HtCh0QWw-2EAQYAyABEgLBYPD_BwE

I have a few pairs of the regular Woolie Boolie which only have the sheep on the sole but can recommend them for warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

nee wrote: »
    It's like underwear. Even though it's only and usually one other person that sees it doesn't make it any less of a consideration ;)
    It's the most aesthetically considered part of my daily dress, I'm sure most are the same.
    Secret personal nice is nice.

As our mothers used to say, change your underwear in case you get hit by a bus. Who wants to go through the embarrassment of being carted into the back of a bus with your tights cut off and you displaying non-Euro compliant socks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Winter boots make a huge difference; regular cycling shoes aren't designed with warmth in mind.

I'd suggest a front mudguard with a flap if you were less worried about style :)

Pedal harder helps to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

On the way to work this morning I spotted somebody using their saddle to pump a tyre!

Stopped to look and it turns out their Dahon folder has a track pump integrated into the seatpost... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Victory Chimp! Support Irish Design.

https://www.victorychimp.cc/collections/socks

I've a few pairs and they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hurrache wrote: »
    As our mothers used to say, change your underwear in case you get hit by a bus....
    I think our mothers were concerned about clean underwear - not stylish underwear.

On cold winter days, I wear Merino wool hiking socks as they are only seen by me. I wouldn't dream of wearing them when not wearing legwarmers or overshoes. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I think our mothers were concerned about clean underwear - not stylish underwear.

On cold winter days, I wear Merino wool hiking socks as they are only seen by me. I wouldn't dream of wearing them when not wearing legwarmers or overshoes. :p

Hmm. A trained eye can spot such an egregious and flagrant flouting of all that is good and decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

aha - clicking 'refresh stats' on the main profile page has updated it successfully.

Even that is a mess. I had 10,042km logged. Uploaded a 33km ride and hit refresh. Now I have 10,030km logged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Raam wrote: »
    Even that is a mess. I had 10,042km logged. Uploaded a 33km ride and hit refresh. Now I have 10,030km logged.

Hit refresh again and now I am 10,063km ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement