Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I dunno, I've never struggled on the wall or red lane like that which are "high teens", and I've done both after a longer distance and more climbing before than I had in the legs on Saturday.

Never struggled on the wall, red lane I found a slog but with gears it was absolutely fine. Main issue with the Dying Cow when I had gears was hitting it int he wrong one, without gears it was just a slow grind which my knees were unhappy with but it is relatively short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Red lane is a bit too long for me, but really need to give it another go before winter sets in.

The full wall is though, first part comes after you climnb to go down and road surface is all over place, the 2nd half is doable, that nice bend breaks it up, just about can do it sat down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭usheeeen

Wasn't there a small mechanic questions thread on here? Don't feel like making a whole new thread for something small

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

usheeeen wrote: »
    Wasn't there a small mechanic questions thread on here? Don't feel like making a whole new thread for something small
    mb's 'no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Are tall people welcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

About 20 years ago I took the civil servants' exam in the RDS with about 500 other people, I gained employment elsewhere in the meantime and never took the interviews offered. Now, I'm looking to get in again, no exam in the RDS this time, apparently I need a PC, a camera and a microphone so that I can be remotely invigilated while I do the esam. I have the first, but neither the second nor third requirement. The world seems to insist on reminding me I'm out of touch. Looks like I'll not be going any further with my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

About 20 years ago I took the civil servants' exam in the RDS with about 500 other people, I gained employment elsewhere in the meantime and never took the interviews offered. Now, I'm looking to get in again, no exam in the RDS this time, apparently I need a PC, a camera and a microphone so that I can be remotely invigilated while I do the esam. I have the first, but neither the second nor third requirement. The world seems to insist on reminding me I'm out of touch. Looks like I'll not be going any further with my application.

Most laptops have a built in camera and mic these days if you could borrow one somewhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm fairly certain i've an old webcam knocking about, if you want it? might have binned it though.

Appreciate that, but there's an underlying presumption there on the part of the State that just irritates the f""k out of me. I also applied for a large number of PS jobs last year, involving spending a small fortune on printing, etc, and never even got a PFO letter, so this is my final sign that the PS is not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i found the webcam - it's a bit old and ****ty but is working, and it has a mic built in, so if you change your mind, you're welcome to it. i think you're a reasonably short walk from me too?

It's all good guys, I appreciate the offers and back up, but I'm taking this as a sign, I've applied for I don't know how many jobs in there over the years and nothing, so time to move on. Appreciated, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Appreciate that, but there's an underlying presumption there on the part of the State that just irritates the f""k out of me. I also applied for a large number of PS jobs last year, involving spending a small fortune on printing, etc, and never even got a PFO letter, so this is my final sign that the PS is not for me.

Damn those modern telephones! You'll never see me winding one of those satanic handles of having them near my house or home!

More seriously, if you want to drop over to my place and use my computer - a 2013 Mac - to do the exam, you're very welcome. Or you can borrow my slightly cracked-up iPad and prop it up so they can invigilate you. (I assume you don't have a phone with camera and mic that would do the same?)

(Not being interested in current technology is not a sign from the universe that you shouldn't be looking for a particular job. Signed - Madame Magicka, Forteller of Fortunes)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Annoyed the elbow is too fragile for me to take the bike today, that wind looks fun to cycle in

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Damn those modern telephones! You'll never see me winding one of those satanic handles of having them near my house or home!

More seriously, if you want to drop over to my place and use my computer - a 2013 Mac - to do the exam, you're very welcome. Or you can borrow my slightly cracked-up iPad and prop it up so they can invigilate you. (I assume you don't have a phone with camera and mic that would do the same?)

(Not being interested in current technology is not a sign from the universe that you shouldn't be looking for a particular job. Signed - Madame Magicka, Forteller of Fortunes)

I work off a 2014 Mac Mini and have a G5 as a back up. I also have tablets and phones in the house, however using them in this instance is not an option, all must be in the one unit.

I am far from "not interested" in technology. I just almost never need a mic or camera in my machines.

Decision has been made. Anger receded. On with life, Thanks again.

I work off a 2014 Mac Mini and have a G5 as a back up. I also have tablets and phones in the house, however using them in this instance is not an option, all must be in the one unit.

I am far from "not interested" in technology. I just almost never need a mic or camera in my machines.

Decision has been made. Anger receded. On with life, Thanks again.

Up to yourself-o.

Did an I assume similar interview recently though not for civil service. Used my phone. It was really a really strange experience to say the least. It was not live so you are talking to no one just the app, it was more an aptitude test or sorts(the exact name for it escapes me). I'd preferred it to have been a live chat with another person on a web cam. Just feels ridiculous recording yourself and the fact you can do a trial run and can see how stupid you look makes it far worse.

In the end I didn't submit it, found it to be a little invasive in a way and didn't feel I wanted them to see inside my home which granted they wouldn't have seen very much of but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The safest, and fastest, bike for Ireland, twice holder of the 50 mile road record and 24 hour world's.

https://twitter.com/OldeEire/status/1042388083147067393?s=19

the 50 mile record mentioned there is quite respectable - works out at about 29km/h on a bike weighing probably the same as a ten year old child.

Actually the bikes of that era weren't that heavy - I remember seeing some weights quoted in old ads and I'd be happy to ride the bikes. No gears, though, only freewheels.

Oh, wait, though - 1880s? No freewheels yet then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Wikipedia has the year of invention of the bicycle freewheel as 1869. But:
    Initially, bicycle enthusiasts rejected the idea of a freewheel because they believed it would complicate the mechanical functions of the bicycle. Bicycle enthusiasts believed that the bicycle was supposed to remain as simple as possible without any additional mechanisms, such as the freewheel.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewheel#History

This sounds familiar ... I wonder whether they felt it gave them more of a connection and feel with the road, a "zen" riding experience.

Interesting piece on cycling news re: Womens Racing and lack of a 3 week Grand Tour among other things. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/feature-can-women-race-a-three-week-grand-tour/

I have to say I agree with the point made about shorter distances and smaller teams. It's why I like watching it when it's shown, definitely lends to less predictable and more exciting racing.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Actually the bikes of that era weren't that heavy
    if memory serves, the first lanterne rouge in the tour de france had taken part in the first paris roubaix on a bike weighing 35kg.
    which, if memory serves, is the same weight as tomasrojo's bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Interesting piece on cycling news re: Womens Racing and lack of a 3 week Grand Tour among other things. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/feature-can-women-race-a-three-week-grand-tour/

I have to say I agree with the point made about shorter distances and smaller teams. It's why I like watching it when it's shown, definitely lends to less predictable and more exciting racing.
    The velocast had a reading room with Peter Cossins who has a book about race tactics and how it developed (Full Gas - which I have but haven't started). They discussed Womens v Mens. One of the things that did come up was the lack of depth in the womens field. Or rather how now, compared to previous decades, the depth of the mens field is better than it was, as everyone is training better, and part of that means that teams are capable of controlling the bunch. Not at all in a dismissive way, they were saying the womens racing is much more exciting and unpredicatble to watch!

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Wikipedia has the year of invention of the bicycle freewheel as 1869. But:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewheel#History

This sounds familiar ... I wonder whether they felt it gave them more of a connection and feel with the road, a "zen" riding experience.

Wonder how they'd feel about Di2 or WiFli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

You might have a 'zen' like experience on a 35 kg garden gate-lidl basket amalgamation...trundling along like you're the star attraction in the local circus....

..but it's more likely on a fixed gear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Managed to get myself stuck in a red wave - I'm blaming heavy panniers and the head wind, not my inability to htfu. Was stopped at Cherrywood Road; Brennanstown/ Johnstown Road; Westminster Road; Whites Cross; Brewery Road; Kilmacud Road; Dublin Road/ Priory Road; and Fosters Avenue.

Now that was a pain in the ass in itself, but every single junction at least two cars were still going through while the main N11 had a green light. Priory road it was 6! But only cyclists run red lights....

In the interests of balance, 1 cyclist (middle aged woman) went through Kilmacud Road lights, but every set where I wasn't the only cyclist (Brewery Road onwards), there was a queue of cyclists also waiting at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

if memory serves, the first lanterne rouge in the tour de france had taken part in the first paris roubaix on a bike weighing 35kg.
    which, if memory serves, is the same weight as tomasrojo's bike.

35kgs!!
    Are you sure?

• Advertisement

S_mJNRf8iOo

Had this sent to me by two work colleagues. I only started here two weeks ago...

Advertisement