Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has anyone got a couple spare m6 x 19mm crank arm clamp bolts they could pop in the post? I'd be really grateful.

Both mine are rounded & local lbs is shut for another few day.

Fella on a red Cervelo in Drogheda today, yes, yes I was checking out your bike. Almost sure he spotted me doing so as he passed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    Has anyone got a couple spare m6 x 19mm crank arm clamp bolts they could pop in the post? I'd be really grateful.

Both mine are rounded & local lbs is shut for another few day.

That's the one for the Ultegra cranks? I do if you're in a hurry. Drop me a PM tomorrow cos I'm pissed now and I'll forget but if you PM in the morning I'll get them in the post tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That's the one for the Ultegra cranks? I do if you're in a hurry. Drop me a PM tomorrow cos I'm pissed now and I'll forget but if you PM in the morning I'll get them in the post tomorrow

Yep, 6800 cranks but the bolts are standard.

Dropping a PM now, thanks for the dig out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i must leave a stick of beeswax in my saddle bag. i went out to the bike to go for a spin and had to change a tube, front was flat with a slow puncture. but i had the same problem as last time with a flat spot in the tyre because the bead wasn't sitting properly, sorted this time with a spray of soap solution. but it'd be a pain in the ass to have to deal with that out in the middle of nowhere without soap handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i must leave a stick of beeswax in my saddle bag. i went out to the bike to go for a spin and had to change a tube, front was flat with a slow puncture. but i had the same problem as last time with a flat spot in the tyre because the bead wasn't sitting properly, sorted this time with a spray of soap solution. but it'd be a pain in the ass to have to deal with that out in the middle of nowhere without soap handy.
    A small bar of hotel soap in your pocket, just drop a bit of water on it. Really does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

hi. quick question. I'm renting a bike soon, wondering what size handlebars would come as standard on a 51 ? Cannondale synapse carbon ultegra from freemotion. thanks.

Old Perry wrote: »
    hi. quick question. I'm renting a bike soon, wondering what size handlebars would come as standard on a 51 ? Cannondale synapse carbon ultegra from freemotion. thanks.

I had a look at the manual here https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Support/OwnerManuals/Road can couldn't see it mentioned for the 2018 model I checked. Gives every other measurement but not that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I had a look at the manual here https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Support/OwnerManuals/Road can couldn't see it mentioned for the 2018 model I checked. Gives every other measurement but not that one.

I know, frustrating, can't find it anywhere. last bike I road of there's was same size as mine, but I was getting a bit of neck pain, only thing I can think of is my own stem and bars aren't standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

driving home on the m50 just now, a cyclist was pushing their bike over the west link. madser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

driving home on the m50 just now, a cyclist was pushing their bike over the west link. madser.

Ah, trade you that for the car driving on the cycle path footpad behind a hedge on the outer ring road earlier. I've to check the dashcam later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Should have just ran those cops were never catching him on foot or even on the the bike had they chased him on it :pac:

EDIT: Wait cops there have guns and tasers don't they. He did the smart thing sitting put.

A small bar of hotel soap in your pocket, just drop a bit of water on it. Really does the job
    i found (on a set of tyres that are not particularly difficult to fit) that an easy way to stop them flat-spotting is to inflate them to maybe 20psi, and where the bead hasn't popped properly into place, push the tyre away from the rim. there was still enough pressure in the tube to push the tyre outwards and let the bead seat properly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ha, I am on the front of the Irish Times. Thankfully it's like a game of Where's Wally but it's certainly an inspiration for me to get into better shape.

first baby of the year?

it.jpg

I could be the AG and just trolling this place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ha, I am on the front of the Irish Times. Thankfully it's like a game of Where's Wally but it's certainly an inspiration for me to get into better shape.
    I was on the front page of the 'Indo' in 2003. Just me - not a crowd shot! Got a bit of a shock when I saw it by accident in my local shop when getting milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Jaysus, fair play, lost some weight, do you still have the black suit and the short tie ?

:):)

not about cycling, but an interesting read:

The long read: Why exercise alone won’t save us
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/03/why-exercise-alone-wont-save-us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if that's you in the Orsmond Clinic ad you've already made a good start!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

not about cycling, but an interesting read:

The long read: Why exercise alone won’t save us
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/03/why-exercise-alone-wont-save-us

tdlr: get a job as a dog walker or a security guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems kind of obvious when you think about it. Like any other animal, we evolved a lifestyle that involved moving around during the day, little spurts of exercise mixed in with sitting and eating. If you watch a dog, they'll lay around for a while and then go for a wander, chase something around the garden for half an hour and sit back down.

Doing no exercise all day and then cramming in an hour of intense exercise probably works on the whole for the purposes of maintaining weight and fitness, but it's not what our bodies evolved to do. An hour or two of intense cardio is something we evolved to be capable of - it's arguably what gave us the leg up over every other animal on the planet - but we didn't evolve to do it on a daily basis.

On top of that, it's something that you have to remember to do. You can drop it from your day with no impact. This makes it really difficult to maintain long-term.

I gave a presentation in work last year which covered this exact topic. If exercise is not part of your routine, sooner or later you will stop doing it when circumstances change. If you have kids, the first thing that will go is your trip to the gym after work and your Sunday morning cycle.

But if you cycle to work, then chances are you can and will continue to do that no matter what your circumstances bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seamus wrote: »
    But if you cycle to work, then chances are you can and will continue to do that no matter what your circumstances bring.

Job change , in effect you would need to turn down a job that was near where you lived :pac: , the opposite happened to me last year, company moved away from where I lived, so could get the bike out again. It does give a great base of fitness to build on, in my case 125km per week.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Saw a man today in Drogheda on what looked like a Rapparee, only got a glance at it and the logo but obviously the shape of the frame caught my eye as it's not a modern one. Not a make I know much about and before my time but do know there is an Irish link there somewhere??????

Frame had some purple and silver I think. Lovely bike form the brief look I had of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Saw a man today in Drogheda on what looked like a Rapparee. Not a make I know much about and before my time but do know there is an Irish link there somewhere??????

Frame had some purple and silver I think.

Raparee were hand built steel frames which you could get customised colours . They were made by the Maye family in a workshop next to their family home in Clonard, just past Enfield in co. Meath .
    I had one made in April 1992 and put the then new dura ace group set on it. Still have it and rode it last about 18 months ago. Will be 27 years old thus April, with a 61 year old engine :).

Oh wow I was 12 then lol , fella I saw on it would have been of that vintage I think and intent on putting the km's in on it from the look of him. Love to see bikes of that age used as intended as opposed to sat in a shed and admired.

I got a free "fancy"coffee in work this morning. Finally a positive news story for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I got a free "fancy"coffee in work this morning. Finally a positive news story for 2019.

The Tigger is back

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    The Tiger is back

I like the new nickname for me :pac:

Advertisement