Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Willy measuring :rolleyes:

Where's the segment? I'd like to measure too :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alas, it's just an inconequential little laneway out near kilsallaghan in north county dublin.

fact fans - the rural electrification scheme which began in 1946, to bring electricity to the rural areas of the country, began in kilsallaghan. apparently the very first pole erected for the scheme can still be found in a field there, but i don't know where that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Glebe road East.... I believe it to be 1km long..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

apparently the very first pole erected
    secman wrote: »
    I believe it to be 1km long..
    I am skeptical........
    Its always shorter than you think, but longer when your describing it, your never the first there, and unless you measure it side by side at the same time, its not really a fair comparison.

Strava segments :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

secman wrote: »
    Glebe road East.... I believe it to be 1km long..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Mc Love wrote: »
    Surprisingly only one call from a delivery driver! But lots of VRU's and tweets from cyclists/pedestrians and Ciaran Ferrie

Ciara is quiet balanced so wouldnt expect she'd let a show over run with cylists hate like others on that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

alas, it's just an inconequential little laneway out near kilsallaghan in north county dublin.

fact fans - the rural electrification scheme which began in 1946, to bring electricity to the rural areas of the country, began in kilsallaghan. apparently the very first pole erected for the scheme can still be found in a field there, but i don't know where that is.

And here it is:

https://esbarchives.ie/2016/02/12/this-months-photo-theme-the-early-days-of-rural-electrification-1946-49/#jp-carousel-234

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Shane Ross is hiring someone for his constituency office. Anyone fancy getting paid to try and badger him about cycling?

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1052485030/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's disappointing. I thought you were posting a pic of the pole in Kilsallaghan that you took yesterday.

(I always thought Oldtown, Co Dublin was the first area to be covered under the rural electrification scheme :confused:).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

obvious question: how did they get electricity to that pole in the first place?

• Advertisement

Cycling Ireland looking for a new CEO

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1774178

Cycling Ireland looking for a new CEO

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1774178
    What's the company bike like?

What's the company bike like?

Probably something from Halfords, salary is low enough for CEO but then again I can't imagine the role is massively stressful

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

obvious question: how did they get electricity to that pole in the first place?

It comes with the pole, Dev and you would not have gotten along at all, next question.

That's disappointing. I thought you were posting a pic of the pole in Kilsallaghan that you took yesterday.

(I always thought Oldtown, Co Dublin was the first area to be covered under the rural electrification scheme :confused:).

the Pole is in Kilsallaghan...but I think the wires carrying the electricity went to Oldtown. Oldtown was the first village with an Electric street light (Outside of Dublin)

EDIT: According to Wikipedia: "Oldtown was the first town in the State to benefit from the Rural Electrification Scheme, run by the Electricity Supply Board from 1946 to 1979. The first electricity pole was ceremoniously erected in November, 1946 at Kilsallaghan, and the first switch-on, was in Oldtown itself, in January 1947. The 50th anniversary of the event was commemorated in the village, by the ESB hosting a dinner, to which families living in the area since 1946, were invited."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    the Pole is in Kilsallaghan...but I think the wires carrying the electricity went to Oldtown. Oldtown was the first village with an Electric street light (Outside of Dublin)

Pity that was as advanced as they got there, terrible backwater full of bumpkins ...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pity that was as advanced as they got there, terrible backwater full of bumpkins ...

So true...we hope to get a phone line next year! :)

they should erect a statue to phil lynott there. no harm in creating an urban (well, rural) myth.

Anybody recommend the best place to pick up a secondhand frameset?

I'm hoping to come across something nice for around €1k-€1500. I have a full groupset, wheels, nice handlebars and everything needed apart from the frameset.

RobFowl wrote: »
    ....and they famously decided to build a handball alley to a different size than was used everywhere else. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm hoping to come across something nice for around €1k-€1500. I have a full groupset, wheels, nice handlebars and everything needed apart from the frameset.

For that price range would you not be looking for something new?

Salden.nl have some tasty wilier framesets in that price range.

If you're using discs, biketart have a Genesis zero frameset for under that too.

Weepsie wrote: »
    For that price range would you not be looking for something new?

Salden.nl have some tasty wilier framesets in that price range.

If you're using discs, biketart have a Genesis zero frameset for under that too.

Just had a look on Salden, I didn't know that site at all thanks!

I'm going rim brake, I already have wheels and groupset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Consider a disc capable frame anyway in case you want to change later?

Assuming, of course, that it will take rim brakes also.

it's OK folks, i've made the decision for him.

https://www.saldenbikes.com/battaglin-marosticana-frameset-191313.html

cdaly_ wrote: »

Is there such a frameset?

cdaly_ wrote: »

That would mean changing wheels, brakes and levers, I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Darn, not Di2 compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

cossiels on adverts has some super ex pro from pro conti teams.
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/belgian-champions-ckt-uci-approved-carbon-di2/17084671

Post a comment on what you are looking for and he will come back to you.

Not really one for the near misses thread http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclists-crash-distracted-driver/

Outcome could have been so much worse.

Not really one for the near misses thread http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclists-crash-distracted-driver/

Outcome could have been so much worse.

Well he did avoid hitting the car that the videographer was sitting in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I just don’t understand some people. I live on a street that is closed to cars at one end. However the road has bike access from the same end. I turn in and there is a guy in a small black car making a hames of parking with his tail to the footpath to my right. I stop well back and wait. There was another big space where he could have parallel parked on the opposite. Anyways after about 4 minutes of patiently waiting he just stops and completely blocks the road. Since he wasn’t moving I did something I wouldn’t normally do and went between parallel parked cars on my left and about 25 metres on the footpath until I got to the carparkngate which I was entering. He started shouting ‘thanks for nothing’ angrily repeatedly at me. I have no idea why he was so angry at me waiting patiently for him. I’m confused. I’d suspect that he is still trying to park even though it’s now 20 minutes later.

Advertisement