Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just don’t understand some people. I live on a street that is closed to cars at one end. However the road has bike access from the same end. I turn in and there is a guy in a small black car making a hames of parking with his tail to the footpath to my right. I stop well back and wait. There was another big space where he could have parallel parked on the opposite. Anyways after about 4 minutes of patiently waiting he just stops and completely blocks the road. Since he wasn’t moving I did something I wouldn’t normally do and went between parallel parked cars on my left and about 25 metres on the footpath until I got to the carparkngate which I was entering. He started shouting ‘thanks for nothing’ angrily repeatedly at me. I have no idea why he was so angry at me waiting patiently for him. I’m confused. I’d suspect that he is still trying to park even though it’s now 20 minutes later.

He probably wanted a hand? He could have just asked though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He probably wanted a hand? He could have just asked though

He could have but he didn’t. I would have helped if asked. I wasn’t even bothered about waiting. I thought he had it in hand as it was a tight enough squeeze but I could have parked my car which is a lot bigger in the same spot in a few moves.

He could have but he didn’t. I would have helped if asked. I wasn’t even bothered about waiting. I thought he had it in hand as it was a tight enough squeeze but I could have parked my car which is a lot bigger in the same spot in a few moves.

Oh I agree with you, sounds like a sap all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Oh I agree with you, sounds like a sap all the same

He probably finally got into his apartment ranting to his flatmates about the guy on the bike outside :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not really one for the near misses thread http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclists-crash-distracted-driver/

Outcome could have been so much worse.

Fcuking hell

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    Fcuking hell

I'm amazed one or both aren't in the ground right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

random mind wanderings on the commute this morning - as e-bikes become more popular, it's possible that at some point in the future they are more common than what we currently consider a 'normal' bike. maybe cyclists should claim whatever phrase will come to be used to distinguish normal bikes from e-bikes before the media does. i've never warmed to the term 'pushbike' and 'pedal cycle' sounds overly legalistic.

maybe 'biocycle'?

random mind wanderings on the commute this morning - as e-bikes become more popular, it's possible that at some point in the future they are more common than what we currently consider a 'normal' bike. maybe cyclists should claim whatever phrase will come to be used to distinguish normal bikes from e-bikes before the media does. i've never warmed to the term 'pushbike' and 'pedal cycle' sounds overly legalistic.

maybe 'biocycle'?

Voltycle

I walked to the gym this morning, 2 punctures in 2 days :mad: New tyre too but gob****e here went straight through a load of glass yesterday morning. So that's two bikes in the shed needing new tubes and I've none left. I bought a box of 30 last summer and I swear I gave most of them away to cycling pals who didn't bring one on rides. No more I say!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Guy on my commute has one of those unlimited ebikes. I am vocally opposed but in all honesty he is turning into a great training partner. Tipping 45kmph on the commute home, it is a great workout to keep speed with him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only issue i have with e-bikes is that occasionally when you take off from traffic lights like a ****ing hero rushing to save orphans from a burning building, other road users probably glance at you and assume you're on an e-bike and shrug off your frankly amazing burst of speed as being due to electric motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Voltycle
    I swear I gave most of them away to cycling pals who didn't bring one on rides. No more I say!

I swear the amount of people that go out on spins with no tubes/ pump/ gas is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

maybe 'biocycle'?
    Like the waste water treatment system...

exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Is there such a frameset?
    (that can take disc or rim brake options)

Yep,

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/225888-first-look-wilier-cento10ndr

i had been half thinking of joining a gym or of doing something to help with my core strength, but we decided a few days ago that we're going to rip up the plants in our front garden and replace them with a decent hedge.
    this involves cutting down and digging up the roots of about eight well established plants. no need for the gym so.

Decathlon plans nine outlets for Ireland, starting with Ballymun
    French sports retailing giant Decathlon plans to open nine shops in Ireland over the next few years, beginning with a large outlet beside Ikea in Ballymun, north Dublin, where it has secured planning permission and will begin construction shortly.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/decathlon-plans-nine-outlets-for-ireland-starting-with-ballymun-1.3762912

Ffs.... four of us supposed to cycle this morning, 2 bailed and a no show. I'm not going solo today so back at the house now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ffs.... four of us supposed to cycle this morning, 2 bailed and a no show. I'm not going solo today so back at the house now

Why not solo?

dahat wrote: »
    Why not solo?

I had a really hard week of training and solo just isn't appealing. I'll go boxing at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I had a really hard week of training and solo just isn't appealing. I'll go boxing at 12

I'd have gone solo in pure temper, hate being left down for pre arranged spins.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    I'd have gone solo in pure temper, hate being left down for pre arranged spins.

I'll be boxing with one of them on Monday, I'll be sure he gets one on the nose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i had been half thinking of joining a gym or of doing something to help with my core strength, but we decided a few days ago that we're going to rip up the plants in our front garden and replace them with a decent hedge.
    this involves cutting down and digging up the roots of about eight well established plants. no need for the gym so.

garden wont do much good for your core, will just make your imbalances worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Can anyone report big oil spill on Devil's Elbow in Glencullen? Im on the road, not sure where to call and the sooner the better, considering weekend traffic there.

Fairly brutal grappling session today, I tried to get up when the round ended and my legs just wouldn't move, clambered up in the end then I see Matress Mick walking towards me, thought I was hallucinating... turns out he's sponsoring a fighter and was in for an interview

my father sent me this, another attempt to reinvent the bike:

https://newatlas.com/nubike-lever-drive/58096/

not what i was expecting to see in halfords:

470891.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

my father sent me this, another attempt to reinvent the bike:

https://newatlas.com/nubike-lever-drive/58096/

There seem to be a lot of innovations aimed at getting rid of the chain, but it's actually a quite brilliant invention, and it's very efficient. Sports people shouldn't really care about it being oily (and it's not that bad if you clean it often), and non-sports people probably should opt more often for bikes with chain-cases.

Of the things that I would like to see improved about bikes, chains don't really figure.

it's probably deserving of a good documentary, the ongoing attempts to 'improve' the double triangle and chain setup - many have tried, and all have failed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

it's probably deserving of a good documentary, the ongoing attempts to 'improve' the double triangle and chain setup - many have tried, and all have failed.

One of the first things I learned in national school was how awesome the triangle is. Why would anyone want to get rid of one of the most naturally strong and robust shapes is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Not a fan of hashtags, but sometimes one comes along that's so appropriate...

Advertisement