Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    One of the first things I learned in national school was how awesome the triangle is. Why would anyone want to get rid of one of the most naturally strong and robust shapes is beyond me.

I guess the spur that holds the rear wheel would have to be very strong. It's certainly very thick.

The design does have six or so hinges to translate the legs' arcing motion into a circular motion, so I presume they would require a bit of maintenance themselves.

Why is arcing your legs up and down better anyway? I don't really find their explanation all that satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MediaMan wrote: »
    Not a fan of hashtags, but sometimes one comes along that's so appropriate...

Nevermind the hastag... You have 42 tabs open in Firefox??? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Why is arcing your legs up and down better anyway? I don't really find their explanation all that satisfactory.
    My limited knowledge of sports physiology tells me it is BS. Like comparing a 100m sprinter to a marathon runner and then telling the marathon runner if they ran and tained like the sprinter, they would be faster.
    Nevermind the hastag... You have 42 tabs open in Firefox??? :confused:
    Co worker came into me the other day wondering why his laptop was so slow as it was only new. He had 5 Chromes open, each with so many tags that you could not read even the first letter. he explained that some were personal, some were social and others were work. When we went through them, he had forgotten half of them were open and most were playing videos on loop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

not what i was expecting to see in halfords:

470891.jpg

Which branch!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Airside in swords.
    Re the spec, the only thing I can remember is that I think the Rd is alivio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ryan tubridy is wittering away on the radio at the moment, and is saying the sun are reporting that an post is doing away with bicycles in the next year and moving towards motoring solutions (including electric vans), partly due to the increasing number of packages they have to deliver, which bike mounted postmen have trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ryan tubridy is wittering away on the radio at the moment, and is saying the sun are reporting that an post is doing away with bicycles in the next year and moving towards motoring solutions (including electric vans), partly due to the increasing number of packages they have to deliver, which bike mounted postmen have trouble with.

I'd say the numbers on bikes at the moment is quite low. Our fella used to be on a bike now he's in his own car

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My limited knowledge of sports physiology tells me it is BS. Like comparing a 100m sprinter to a marathon runner and then telling the marathon runner if they ran and tained like the sprinter, they would be faster.
    I wondered if there was any type of human powered vehicle which would be really fast but require a lot of energy to be expended. So like a sprint the race would only last 10seconds.

maybe something like those handcars on railway tracks. Geared up in such a way that it is like doing a load of really heavy deadlifts, leaving the person utterly exhausted after 10seconds.
    df525688cc4a4c06a420b7f6d40f1c90_w700_h354_cp.jpg
    Or it could be powered by both arms and legs, like some sort of leg press machine which has handles too.

I also wondered if they would be allowed have an oddball new style of bike in cycling races, or are the mechanics of it defined. Like could you turn up on that "nubike" in a proper race. And have there been any totally new things in any races in the past which never caught on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_transport

One of the first things I learned in national school was how awesome the triangle is.
    a young cramcycle:

Triangle_%2813513809145%29.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

a young cramcycle:

Triangle_%2813513809145%29.jpg

My bowtie was red but other than that it is shockingly similar to what I looked like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if there was any type of human powered vehicle which would be really fast but require a lot of energy to be expended. So like a sprint the race would only last 10seconds.

maybe something like those handcars on railway tracks. Geared up in such a way that it is like doing a load of really heavy deadlifts, leaving the person utterly exhausted after 10seconds.
    df525688cc4a4c06a420b7f6d40f1c90_w700_h354_cp.jpg
    Or it could be powered by both arms and legs, like some sort of leg press machine which has handles too.

I also wondered if they would be allowed have an oddball new style of bike in cycling races, or are the mechanics of it defined. Like could you turn up on that "nubike" in a proper race. And have there been any totally new things in any races in the past which never caught on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_transport

The 200m in the track sprint qualifiers at world cup/olympic level are just under or on 10 secs, that'd batter anyone!

I'd say the numbers on bikes at the moment is quite low. Our fella used to be on a bike now he's in his own car
    I see An Post staff on delivery bikes every day on my commute. Balally-Goatstown-Ballsbridge-City Centre.

Mind you, I think phasing out of bikes did happen in the UK, though IIRC the postal unions objected. Again, from memory, management said it was for safety reasons, and when challenged couldn't come up with any convincing evidence that they were dangerous.

Our lad rocks up to the estate in a van and takes the bike out of the van :D

They ain't great bikes for even 2-3% hill for some of them, I usually have to walk to town on a Monday for a few things and can keep pace with one postman up the hill, another I meet sometimes walks it with his bike, and one older fella takes that hill like a boss!!!! Has to be a "cyclist" given hios pace and positioning on the road.

Are they Vitus bikes? Vaguely recall someone here mentioning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So I had a mad dream last night in which I got a new job as an undercover parking enforcement officer. My job was to cycle around the city all day ticketing motorists and cars for infringements from a cyclists point of view. I had to sneak home at one point to switch from my MTB to hybrid as my MTB was too ungainly in city traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Hurrache wrote: »
    So I had a mad dream last night in which I got a new job as an undercover parking enforcement officer. My job was to cycle around the city all day ticketing motorists and cars for infringements from a cyclists point of view. I had to sneak home at one point to switch from my MTB to hybrid as my MTB was too ungainly in city traffic.

Stay off the cheese after 9pm :)

Not sure if this was posted http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/missing-man-cyclists-dylan-keogh/

It's a piece about a man who went missing in Dublin over a week ago while out on his bike, gardai appealing for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just in case you might come across a stray pannier

https://twitter.com/Sweeney_Peter/status/1087819444968194049

Seven Worlds will Collide

dear santa, what i want for christmas is a little radar device on the back of my vehicle (be it a bike or a car) which indicates how many seconds gap the vehicle behind me, is travelling. it could flash green if over 3 seconds, amber if between 2 and three seconds, and red if it's under two seconds.

My reading of that article says that nothing has been decided about fully electric powered bikes and scooters, right? Only power-assist models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Our crowd will still find a way to let the insurance cowboys run riot with them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dear santa, what i want for christmas is a little radar device on the back of my vehicle (be it a bike or a car) which indicates how many seconds gap the vehicle behind me, is travelling. it could flash green if over 3 seconds, amber if between 2 and three seconds, and red if it's under two seconds.
    Garmin varia radar yolk? The TrainerRoad podcast are always recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

buffalo wrote: »

Interesting quote in that article: 'Mr Ross is also said to have told the meeting that the Attorney General’s advice was “not sacroscanct”'

He obviously doesn't apply the same logic to the AG's advice on minimum passing distances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Have witnessed two cyclists and a motorcyclist slide out on sharp corners in last five days. Is it the tarmac being used or were these individuals unskilled on bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Have witnessed two cyclists and a motorcyclist slide out on sharp corners in last five days. Is it the tarmac being used or were these individuals unskilled on bikes?

Where are you based ? it could be after gritting the roads

Clanbrassil/South circular was two of them and the Outboud corner from Hart’s onto Botanic. A sharp 90 degree turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Diesel on the road?

• Advertisement

Diesel on the road?

No, cos I came through the Botanic Road one. I overtook the guy about 30 seconds before, came through the corner and then heard the clatter as he fell and slid. There was no diesel there, but it’s a new surface.

Advertisement