Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does tarmac leach 'oil' for a little bit when new? not that i can ever remember having grip issues on new tarmac in the wet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Have witnessed two cyclists and a motorcyclist slide out on sharp corners in last five days. Is it the tarmac being used or were these individuals unskilled on bikes?

The roads have been gritted a lot the this last week and there's been a bit of reason but not enough to wash it off so there's a slippery scum left in some places. I'm cornering more gingerly in some places this week because of it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So with Brexit looming, are we going to have to cycle our new bikes across the border to evade additional Duties (and indeed VAT) on UK "imports"?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Beasty wrote: »
    So with Brexit looming, are we going to have to cycle our new bikes across the border to evade additional Duties (and indeed VAT) on UK "imports"?:pac:

Personally more worried about British soldiers setting up posts again.

The “I cycled my bike across” is a quaint story told in the same way everyone in Ireland seemed to have a relation in the GPO during Easter Rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

nee wrote: »
    The roads have been gritted a lot the this last week and there's been a bit of reason but not enough to wash it off so there's a slippery scum left in some places. I'm cornering more gingerly in some places this week because of it.

Someone mentioned earlier and I didn’t pick up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of roads being gritted, i think most of the grit comes from up north, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Clanbrassil/South circular was two of them and the Outboud corner from Hart’s onto Botanic. A sharp 90 degree turn.

That doesn't surprise me. Lot's people go into that corner too fast. There's building working going across the road there for the new estate, further up at the sunnybank too. The trucks are going straight across into the building site (where it's left only), and occassionally leaving a bit of mess.

There's new road surface along botanic road, that corner itself is in terrible condition.

Furthermore, there's a lot of building happening in Northwood. They are actively cleaning the roads in the mornings and evenings and doing a decent job of getting as much muck/dirt off them as possible. It's amazing what building on a private road will do to someone's attitude for such stuff. I'm finding any public roads that adjoin a building site of late are left in terrible condition with no attempt at cleaning being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Good clean up of the cycle track city bound by Glasnevin Cemetery completed, especially the little hill up at the start which is always full of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ran past the gentleman this morning en route to work, had his handcart parked sideways across the cycle track :D good cleanup is right though, leaves mostly gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

VW 1 wrote: »
    Ran past the gentleman this morning en route to work, had his handcart parked sideways across the cycle track :D good cleanup is right though, leaves mostly gone.

yeah there were about 6 very large black refuse sacks full of leaves at the bottom of the little hill sitting on the path. I was approaching thinking, yeah some scumbags have just dumped a load of rubbish from the boot of their car. I was wrong thankfully

it does seem a little greasier than i expected out there; i had to jam on at one point and the back wheel locked up on me, a little more readily than i'd have expected. and the bike did feel a little skittish on a fast sweeping bend at one point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

it does seem a little greasier than i expected out there; i had to jam on at one point and the back wheel locked up on me, a little more readily than i'd have expected. and the bike did feel a little skittish on a fast sweeping bend at one point.

It has been a little too easy to lock up and do hipster skids on my fixed gear the last few days. I await punctures galore over the coming days thanks to my recklessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

anyway to tell in advance which end of a train might be the end that carries bikes?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If it's the cork train, it's normally the very first one nearest the entrance/exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

silverharp wrote: »
    anyway to tell in advance which end of a train might be the end that carries bikes?

7JyTacb.png

i meant in terms of where to stand with the bike on the platform? is there a way to check in advance for a particular train?, it seems to be random on the gcd to parkwest for instance whether that carriage is at the front of the train or the back so it means a bit of a scramble

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My understanding is that there is no way to tell as the trains get turned around from time to time depending on route. I think the Cork Dublin train is the one exception.

I suppose you could stand in the middle of the platform, watch for the bike symbol going past and either chase it or chase the other end of the train...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    My understanding is that there is no way to tell as the trains get turned around from time to time depending on route. I think the Cork Dublin train is the one exception.

I suppose you could stand in the middle of the platform, watch for the bike symbol going past and either chase it or chase the other end of the train...

more a lack of practice on my part , had a puncture so first time using the train with the bike. Works well. Probably the middle is the best hedge, I had gone for the 50/50 and guessed wrong :pac:

tomorrow morning looks like a grand morning for a spin, if you happen to be on one that is southbound for its entirety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

KOM potential all day then!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tomorrow morning looks like a grand morning for a spin, if you happen to be on one that is southbound for its entirety.

Cycle to Wexford and hop on the train home. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....or even better if going south east. I suppose you be heading over to Glebe Road again to improve your KOM! :)

Not for me. Since managing my first 100km in ages last Sunday I've been steadily holding off a cold until this morning when I woke up feeling like I'd been eating glass and smacked across the head all night.

Cadel Evens Great Ocean Road race is on Eurosport from 2am for any night owls. I'll grab the highlights in the morning I think. Likely be the Ozzy feed with Phil Liggett calling it :rolleyes:

Anyone ever get a helmet resprayed?
    Any idea of the cost invovled?

I'm considering wasting cash on getting my Mojito resprayed to match club colours. In terms of a justifiable waster of cash this ranks pretty highly!!!!

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone ever get a helmet resprayed?
    Any idea of the cost invovled?

I'm considering wasting cash on getting my Mojito resprayed to match club colours. In terms of a justifiable waster of cash this ranks pretty highly!!!!

I am tempted to get a cheap can of spray paint to destroy mine

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am tempted to get a cheap can of spray paint to destroy mine

Would it bind to the existing coating on the helmet? 😂

dahat wrote: »
    Would it bind to the existing coating on the helmet? ��

Hence the destroy point

• Advertisement

you could try sanding a key into it. hard to get into the nooks and crannies, though, and to mask off the bits you don't want sprayed.

Advertisement