Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

you could try sanding a key into it. hard to get into the nooks and crannies, though, and to mask off the bits you don't want sprayed.

Ah feck I won't be chancing it, I'd destroy a matchbox!

As I said it's likely a waster of cash but I though someone may have done it before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Ah feck I won't be chancing it, I'd destroy a matchbox!

As I said it's likely a waster of cash but I though someone may have done it before.

Best way would be if a light colour, to use highlighters/markers

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Wrap it maybe?

Shocked to find out last night that Daughters do not appreciate honesty. Particularly in relation to the f*** wit of a person they are dating. Who knew that pointing out what, in my mind, should be blatantly obvious to all and sundry would be so upsetting.

On the positive side, since she will no longer talk to me, ever again apparently, I won't ever have to hear how upset she is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CramCycle wrote: »
    Shocked to find out last night that Daughters do not appreciate honesty. Particularly in relation to the f*** wit of a person they are dating. Who knew that pointing out what, in my mind, should be blatantly obvious to all and sundry would be so upsetting.

On the positive side, since she will no longer talk to me, ever again apparently, I won't ever have to hear how upset she is.

Had the same experience when I told my eldest his mates were a pile of losers with zero ambition....

(Koutobias' offspring excepted !!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aren't daughters supposed to go for men like their fathers?

Just being honest like. :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

RobFowl wrote: »
    Had the same experience when I told my eldest his mates were a pile of losers with zero ambition....

(Koutobias' offspring excepted !!)

I also think parents don't cut kids enough slack sometimes and are too quick to judge. In a non work capacity, id worry about the future of our kids given some i encounter, but then working with them in groups volunteering gives me totally the opposite view of them, they are mostly a good bunch dealing with very different issues than what we faced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just finished the Fallen Angel book about Fausto Coppi and the Bartali Road to Valor book. Highly recommended, both of them. The latter covers a lot of WW2 history in Northern Italy as much as it does cycling and the former shows just how many years ahead of his time Coppi was in his prep and tactics.

Thought there was a reading megathread, but I can only find a few old ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

manafana wrote: »
    I also think parents don't cut kids enough slack sometimes and are too quick to judge. In a non work capacity, id worry about the future of our kids given some i encounter, but then working with them in groups volunteering gives me totally the opposite view of them, they are mostly a good bunch dealing with very different issues than what we faced.

You're not a Da are you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

^^ That he thinks Campagnolo is actually better than Shimano?

• Advertisement

Hungrycol wrote: »
    ^^ That he thinks Campagnolo is actually better than Shimano?

Even worse, thinks SRAM is the best....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Even worse, thinks SRAM is the best....

SRAM has the most satisfactory click!

You're not a Da are you ;)

I'm not, but the point still stands, some kids are terrible but good guidance can go a long way.

I think Parents cut too much slack, and apparently I am guilty of this as well. Hopefully i haven't left it too late to let her know how sh1t other people and the world in general is.

Watching my 2 girls here. The eldest is completely freaking out due the youngest being mobile now, well she rolls more than crawls but it's enough to send the eldest into super protective mode if the baby gets off the play mat and looks at us as if we are crazy, as in can you guys not see how dangerous she is now ??? , tried explaining that this was her 5 years ago and she stormed off to check the facts with her mam :D

Few years to go before boys become an issue but the eldest is looking ok, she was pals with a boy at school but not so much now since he attempted to have a go on her bike with out asking. That didn't go down well, not well at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a chap i know went out for a spin earlier, and before he went his wife made him pose for a photo because she thought he looked a bit ludicrous in all his dayglo yellow gear. you can guess what happened next.

Anyone know where to pick up some rivnuts, slightly larger than the ones you would typically find in a frame

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was just over in the shops. chap there doing his shopping - hi vis jacket, bike helmet still on his head, and wearing sandals. apart from the fashion crime of the sandals, that's some evening to be on a bike with them.

a chap i know went out for a spin earlier, and before he went his wife made him pose for a photo because she thought he looked a bit ludicrous in all his dayglo yellow gear. you can guess what happened next.
    this chap is a garda. i've suggested to him that if he is injured from the crash and becomes desk bound, that he request to be put in charge of the twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone know where to pick up some rivnuts, slightly larger than the ones you would typically find in a frame

Have you experience with them? I use some in work but need a tool to install. Can you post a pic or link of what you are after? might be something different to what I have in mind, as people can use different terms. I would have M4, M6 and maybe M8.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you experience with them? I use some in work but need a tool to install. Can you post a pic or link of what you are after? might be something different to what I have in mind, as people can use different terms. I would have M4, M6 and maybe M8.

I have installed them before, easy enough to make a hack version of the tool with a spanner and bolt. I'll check sizes tomorrow. I need it to be able to fit in the now slightly wider hole than was there before. Tempted just to stick a washer to it and fit the same size again but not sure there would be something that would handle the constant vibration of Irish roads. Tec7 might work.

I think Parents cut too much slack, and apparently I am guilty of this as well. Hopefully i haven't left it too late to let her know how sh1t other people and the world in general is.

Thats very different, if your talking on her level then thats fair game, talking down to kids is the issue, and telling them what to do rather than guiding is never going work,

Like buying a new bike, you got make her think your only doing it because she ok'ed it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote: »

Must be an Audax. We always carry too much food...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Does anyone have any experience of using the NCI carpark in the IFSC in terms of bike security? I've a good kryptonite, but I'm very paranoid.

rubadub wrote: »
    It was an M5 but the wear wore a hole 10mm in diameter, so I think I will have to put in a M6 riv nut as any of the ones I see are 9mm in diameter, M8s look took wide. The other option is to epoxy a washer in place and put in a a M5 riv nut again but i am unsure how long tat resin would hold up. Any advice is welcome.

When I say rivnut I mean something like this: Riv Nut
    Thats very different, if your talking on her level then thats fair game, talking down to kids is the issue, and telling them what to do rather than guiding is never going work,

Like buying a new bike, you got make her think your only doing it because she ok'ed it
    I was talking on her level, then his stupidity obviously infected her, and forced me to talk to her like she was an imbecile. Needless to say, this plan has backfired. We are on day two of silent treatment. on the plus side she has said she won't be bringing him around anymore. I am not sure she gets what a non issue that is for me.

just in relation to the road chippings discussion in the road condition thread, i did once pass a car on griffith avenue and as i did, my bike kicked up a chipping which pinged quite loudly off the car. the motorist ended up driving alongside me shouting at me till i could explain that it was a road chipping; he got very apologetic and we left on good terms.

i was wondering if you're more or less likely to kick up a chipping on a bike? you're far more likely to be aware of it than in a car, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

just in relation to the road chippings discussion in the road condition thread, i did once pass a car on griffith avenue and as i did, my bike kicked up a chipping which pinged quite loudly off the car. the motorist ended up driving alongside me shouting at me till i could explain that it was a road chipping; he got very apologetic and we left on good terms.

i was wondering if you're more or less likely to kick up a chipping on a bike? you're far more likely to be aware of it than in a car, at least.

Probably two sides to it - a cars tyre effectively has two chances per tyre that it will shoot out a chipping (driving over it within a half inch of the outside of the tyre) Whereas a bike only has one chance as it's so thin.

But a bike's tyre pressure means it's less likely to just absorb it than a car would.

In summary....:confused:

you also need to halve the chances of the car's chippings being fired 'out' as half the chippings thrown up would be thrown up under the car itself, rather than outwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

you also need to halve the chances of the car's chippings being fired 'out' as half the chippings thrown up would be thrown up under the car itself, rather than outwards.

Dammit you're right! I'm getting off that two wheeled weapon. :D

Advertisement